Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Electric Heaters?

We're making our first trip this year and the nights have been in the 40s. I've been turning the furnace on in the mornings to take the chill off and can hear the propane being sucked out of the the tank. That and the dogs get cold so want to snuggle on our bed. Queen sized beds don't have enough room for 2 boxers and 2 humans.

I've thought about adding an electric heater to the collection of stuff but have been a little concerned with the amount of electricity they draw and how it would effect the RV's electric system.

To those that use electric heaters, do you run a separate extension cord in from the post or do you plug into an outlet inside the coach? What size heater do you use?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I only use the space heater if we are awake. I keep it on the low setting which should be about 750 watts and plug it into an inside outlet Use newer units that have overheat/tip over protection. At night we leave the furnace at 60* with lots of blankets.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a 1200 watt heater and just plug it into a safe outlet in the m/h. We usually set it on the table and point it toward the bedroom. Only one boxer here so lots of room in the bed!
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #4

An electric heater can take the chill off. Just make sure you get one that will shut off if it is tipped over. Check the amperage draw on the one you purchase and try to keep it under 15 amps. Or, try an electric blanket, the pups will like it!! Another choice, get an electric blanket for the pups too. Boxers don't have thick fur and chill easy.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used both, the outlet inside and the post outside, for whatever the reason, at the time. What I don't do is go to sleep, with it on. Just take the chill off and then turn it off or even unplug it. Can't get to sleep, thinking about "what if.?"
Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
750/1500w heaters plugged into outlets in the coach, no separate cord from the pedistal. We use one of those oil filled heaters that look like a radiator on the living area. Also a physically smaller heater that will set on a counter top in the bedroom. When we go to bed turn off the living area and use just the smaller one. A good down comforter on the bed is a huge energy saver.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since 1987, through 2 class C's including a micro mini Dolphin which we lived in for three years and 4 Class A's, three, if we hadn't gotten stupid and bought a Thor, we use the 750/1500 ceramic heaters. Other than in our first unit, don't remember the brand of the heater, we have been using the Pelonis brand, and for safety, I only use the 750 setting and if not on a hard surface, I place them on a 6x6 ceramic tile. We currently have two of the Pelonis heaters in our 35 foot Itasca. One for the bath/shower area and a second we can use in the main living area. I have only used one for over night on one occasion when we got caught in a snow storm. Normally we just throw on an extra blanket to add to the "2" dog night.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
Commercial Member

We've used a 1000 W electric heater on cool nights since they are quiet and don't consume propane. We plug it in to a 15 Amp circuit in the pickup camper. We bought one based on reviews on Amazon and had no regrets. Our 16 lb. cat provides the rest of the auxiliary heat, although he is better as an alarm clock when he wants breakfast.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

What is the power service on your MH? 30A or 50A?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #10

I have used a separate cord in 5 mh's for years with no problems. Heavy 25 ft cord plugged into cg post. Camped in single digits this past winter for a couple of weeks and we needed the extra heat.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #11

Our current motorhome is a 30 and I should have mentioned that in the first post. Hopefully, we'll be trading the 30 amp for a 50 amp soon though.

I have an old Hudson Bay Point blanket that a great uncle & aunt used years & years ago when they had a cabin in Michigan and I pull it out for really cold nights. That has to be the warmest blanket ever made.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #12

We have a small ceramic heater with fan adjustable thermostat. Works well to take the chill off if we are plugged into shore power. We set it on the table and plug it into the plug under the table which is only a foot away from the breaker panel. When we're boondocking we just use the furnace.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #13

Electric Heaters

Let me preface my remarks about electric heaters by saying that I've been RVing for over 45 years in everything from pop-up campers to Class A motorhomes. At present, we have 2 Rvs, a Born Free 23 ft. Class C and a Lance 11.5 ft. slide-in pick-up camper. We would be lost without an electric heater (and poor as well if we had t pay for all the propane we've saved over the years). We use a small electric heater with maximum output of 1500 watts. It has a tip-over switch and electric fan operating on a thermostat. We plug it into an inside plug in either the motorhome or camper as long as we are on shore power. Have never had an issue other than tripping a circuit breaker when we forget to turn the heater off before using the microwave. Keep in mind, our current rigs are small but both are extremely well insulated, with winter packages including dual pane windows. Our electric heater keeps us toasty warm 95% of the time. The other 5% we augment the furnace with the electric heater, thus the furnace comes on only occasionally.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We use an electric heater too, but have seen some parks where it says, No Electric Heaters to be used. We did it anyway and how would they know if they don't have a meter?
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater