Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Electric help please

Looking for advise... Camping and electric keeps going on and off every few minutes....
The ranger came out to check, says it's my surge protector, nothing they can do, that the reading he's getting is 109... Means zilch to me. He said with the full campground the only thing I can do is remove my surge protector, that it's too sensitive.
With the fluctuations in electric isn't that putting my trailer at risk? I know nothing about this kind of stuff!
Any advise... It's darn hot here and no air!
My trailer is 20 ft 30 amp... This is the Progressive surge protector I'm using... Ranger says it's too sensitive... Only solution is to remove it😣
Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_130958.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	215532  
Lrakeahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think the Progressive Industries EMS protectors shut off the power at 108 VAC. I would be very reluctant to remove the surge protector! Can you move to a different CG?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

What model of Progressive do you have?

If it has Hi/Lo Voltage trip then it will also have Previous Error Code display so you can see what caused it to trip
Lo Voltage trips at 104V

AC Voltage measured at power pedestal at 109V......but under load it will drop

Progressive is NOT too sensitive....voltage is dropping and Progressive is doing what you bought/use it for..protecting your RV Electronics & Motors
Motors (ac fan/compressor) can be damaged when AC Voltage drops below 108V

SO ...bypassing it will just allow your A/C Unit to probably run but at damaging low voltage levels
Got a generator?
If YES....turn off power pedestal breaker and fire up generator ....run it during the day and then when temps cool down swap back to power pedestal
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #4

Try turning off other loads in your trailer like the water heater if it's on electric. That might help keep the voltage up.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Try turning off other loads in your trailer like the water heater if it's on electric. That might help keep the voltage up.
That will minimize drops in his cable and panel, but if the pedestal is at 109, it won't help it go higher.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
That will minimize drops in his cable and panel, but if the pedestal is at 109, it won't help it go higher.
True but it might keep the voltage from dipping down to 104 volts when the AC comes on. That's where the EMS kicks off the power.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #7

Sorry to hear of the problem. Obviously, the park isn't going to do anything about their poor electric distribution. Which park is this? Might help others to stay away.
PI is doing its job, bypass/remove at your own risk with that low voltage. Can you try another site at the park? What does the PI say the voltage is on L1? If there are any empty sites, take it to one or more and check the voltage there, for a possible move.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
True but it might keep the voltage from dipping down to 104 volts when the AC comes on. That's where the EMS kicks off the power.
Perhaps, but 109 is low and 104 is absurd for this ac compressor.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #9

Hate to say it but the OP would probably be better off packing up and leaving early, especially if his plans were to leave tomorrow anyway. Not worth it to take a chance on messing up something with the already low and constantly fluctuating voltage.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

One thing is for sure, with 100% accuracy, the Ranger needs to stick to his job "Rangering".......because electrical stuff is NOT his strong point!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #11

Progressive Industries 313.1122 EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector - 30 Amp
Old 08-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #12

Yes, error code shows "low voltage". No generator :(
Thanks for your words of wisdom!
Old 08-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrakeahs View Post
Looking for advise... Camping and electric keeps going on and off every few minutes....
The ranger came out to check, says it's my surge protector, nothing they can do, that the reading he's getting is 109... Means zilch to me. He said with the full campground the only thing I can do is remove my surge protector, that it's too sensitive.
With the fluctuations in electric isn't that putting my trailer at risk? I know nothing about this kind of stuff!
Any advise... It's darn hot here and no air!
My trailer is 20 ft 30 amp... This is the Progressive surge protector I'm using... Ranger says it's too sensitive... Only solution is to remove it��
Thank you in advance!
The Ranger is wrong!

Your Protector is doing what you bought it for protecting you - listen to it!

You should not use their power and use your 12V. You can try using the campground power at times of low usage by others - early morning or very late at night. But, if low or high you should not use it.

https://ustpower.com/comparing-autom...tage-high-low/
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #14

Going to try and stick it out... Maybe tonight or tomorrow, being Sunday, hopefully some will leave and help resolve the issue. Only here til Monday morning!

Tags
electric