Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #1

Electric outlets

I've been living in my travel trailer set up on my son's farm for about two years. A few weeks ago the wall plugs quit working. The man who replaced my furnace last year couldn't figure out what might be wrong. My son said maybe a mouse had chewed through a wire. Would like to have my outlets working again. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Judy
Grammy3197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy3197 View Post
I've been living in my travel trailer set up on my son's farm for about two years. A few weeks ago the wall plugs quit working. The man who replaced my furnace last year couldn't figure out what might be wrong. My son said maybe a mouse had chewed through a wire. Would like to have my outlets working again. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Judy

Check to see if the GFCI outlet is tripped. It may be located in the bathroom. That GFCI may control the rest of the outlets.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #3

Judy, easiest and most likely thing is a tripped GFI switch. It could be a breaker in the main breaker box or one of the electrical outputs anywhere in the RV. Look for an outlet with a red and black push buttons between the plug contacts. Reset by pushing the red button. (hard) Hope this helps.

If its a breaker reset by turning off and then back on.

Larry
LarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #4

All of your outlets can not go out at once. They are on at least two different circuits. One circuit will be a GFI circuit. A GFI outlet in the bathroom will control 4 or 5 outlets. The label in the electric panel will read GFI and General.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 AM   #5

Grammy,

Feel free to post your RV make, model, and year. You can add it using the link at the top of the page "User CP". There is an "About Me" section and a signature line. The signature line shows at the bottom of all of your posts. This will provide added clues to help with the trouble shooting.

Please post a picture of the service entrance inside your RV. It will probably be a circuit breaker panel. The panel will also have a make and model on it.

Regards,
Paul Bristol
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:10 AM   #6

`Might be the breaker on the inverter.
luqutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Judy! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Are none of the outlets working or is it just some of them? If it's just some of them I would suspect a GFCI circuit is tripped. That could be a GFCI outlet with the others connected to it, or it could be a breaker in the main AC breaker panel.

I would suggest that you create a signature showing the make and model of your RV. This will make it easier for folks to help with any questions you may have. Below is a link showing how to do that! Look at post #30.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...ml#post3101035

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #8

Had b the same problem yesterday. Only some outlets had power. The bathroom gfci tripped. It even affected the outlet at the main door.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
All of your outlets can not go out at once. They are on at least two different circuits. One circuit will be a GFI circuit. A GFI outlet in the bathroom will control 4 or 5 outlets. The label in the electric panel will read GFI and General.
While this may be true for your RV, many others have only 1 circuit for outlets. Having 2 circuits is pretty common for larger RVs that are 50a but rare for midsize and smaller RVs that are only 30a. It is also not unusual for smaller RVs to have all 120V outlets protected by a single GFI outlet, so that is the first thing that I would check. Second would be to check the 120V circuit breakers.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #10

And they sometimes bury the GFCI in the most out of the way locations. Since it's usually the first outlet in the circuit it's sometimes hard to find. Check in all your storage areas.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:05 PM   #11

Electric

You all will have to excuse me since this is the first forum I've ever been in. 78 and still trying to learn new things. My travel trailer is a 36" 2005-2007 Forest River Cherokee. None of the wall sockets went out. My son said he was unable to reset the GFI switch in the bathroom. That was the first thing he tried. He also checked the breakers. My son knows a lot about a lot of things, but nothing about electrical in the trailer. Where would the inverter be located?
Am I better off just trying to find someone who works in trailers? I can't afford to spend a lot of money, but really want my electric back. I live in Williamstown, Grant County, Kentucky. Thanks
Grammy3197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let’s circle back to your statement about your son NOT being able to re-set the GFCI in the bathroom. That might be your problem right there. Either THAT ONE GFCI needs replacing because It has gotten old. They do wear out. OR, the GFCI is simply doing it’s job by refusing to re-set. Something in fact is out of whack somewhere in that particular circuit . I advise that you (or your son) find someone who is familiar with the inner magic of RV electrics. I also hope that you will report back to this forum as to the solution that you find.

A w/2004 BigFoot 29G
aeejbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy3197 View Post
You all will have to excuse me since this is the first forum I've ever been in. 78 and still trying to learn new things. My travel trailer is a 36" 2005-2007 Forest River Cherokee. None of the wall sockets went out. My son said he was unable to reset the GFI switch in the bathroom. That was the first thing he tried. He also checked the breakers. My son knows a lot about a lot of things, but nothing about electrical in the trailer. Where would the inverter be located?
Am I better off just trying to find someone who works in trailers? I can't afford to spend a lot of money, but really want my electric back. I live in Williamstown, Grant County, Kentucky. Thanks
You probable don't have an inverter.

Un-plug everything you can and and see if the GFCI resets.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeejbe View Post
Let’s circle back to your statement about your son NOT being able to re-set the GFCI in the bathroom. That might be your problem right there. Either THAT ONE GFCI needs replacing because It has gotten old. They do wear out. OR, the GFCI is simply doing it’s job by refusing to re-set. Something in fact is out of whack somewhere in that particular circuit . I advise that you (or your son) find someone who is familiar with the inner magic of RV electrics. I also hope that you will report back to this forum as to the solution that you find.

A w/2004 BigFoot 29G
Third option, GFCI won't reset if there is no power to it.

Tags
electric