Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Hydro electric is less than 6 percent of electric production in the states where it exists.
According to the EIA, hydroelectric is about 66% of electric production in Washington state, and 7% nationwide.

In any case, pumped storage effectively transfers electricity produced from other types of generation to hydroelectric plants (with efficiency losses along the way). So unless a hydro plant is running at 100% capacity every day, it can be used for some storage.

However, like I said... it seems likely that we'll just use batteries for most grid storage going forward.

Quote:
And a 300 watt solar panel covers 24 square feet and produces about 100 watts per solar hour.
The exact size of solar panels depends on their efficiency. I Googled '100 watt solar panel' and used the first set of dimensions I found. Thus, your 8 sq ft per 100 watt value is certainly possible, but so are smaller values. Logically, we'd generally use the smaller / more efficient panels for large power plants... as indeed we do currently.

In any case, using your 8 sq ft figure rather than 5.75 wouldn't significantly change the results... 5.75 / 8 = 0.71

144,175 TWh * 0.71 = 102,364 TWh

That's just a little short of global power consumption... with >99% of the Earth's land area still available to make up the remainder. Quibbling over the details isn't going to change the fact that only a tiny portion of the planet need be covered in solar to meet all of our energy needs.

I'm not sure what you mean about a 300 watt panel only producing "100 watts per solar hour". There are 24 solar hours in a day, so... are you suggesting 100 * 24 = 2,400 watt-hours? That would be too high, unless we are talking about somewhere like southern Mexico rather than California.

A 300 watt panel would yield a number of watt-hours worth of electricity equal to 300 times the average 'peak sun hours' for the location. For California that is about 5 (more in southern California and less in northern), so ~1500 watt-hours per day.

Quote:
So you are spouting a religion not science.
I am 'spouting' math... to demonstrate the accuracy of the various sites I linked which stated that only a small land area is needed for solar power to cover our energy needs.

You, and others, have insisted that the opposite is true... while providing no evidence at all.

Have you heard of the psychological concept of projection?
CBDunkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBDunkerson View Post
According to the EIA, hydroelectric is about 66% of electric production in Washington state, and 7% nationwide.

In any case, pumped storage effectively transfers electricity produced from other types of generation to hydroelectric plants (with efficiency losses along the way). So unless a hydro plant is running at 100% capacity every day, it can be used for some storage.

However, like I said... it seems likely that we'll just use batteries for most grid storage going forward.

The exact size of solar panels depends on their efficiency. I Googled '100 watt solar panel' and used the first set of dimensions I found. Thus, your 8 sq ft per 100 watt value is certainly possible, but so are smaller values. Logically, we'd generally use the smaller / more efficient panels for large power plants... as indeed we do currently.

In any case, using your 8 sq ft figure rather than 5.75 wouldn't significantly change the results... 5.75 / 8 = 0.71

144,175 TWh * 0.71 = 102,364 TWh

That's just a little short of global power consumption... with >99% of the Earth's land area still available to make up the remainder. Quibbling over the details isn't going to change the fact that only a tiny portion of the planet need be covered in solar to meet all of our energy needs.

I'm not sure what you mean about a 300 watt panel only producing "100 watts per solar hour". There are 24 solar hours in a day, so... are you suggesting 100 * 24 = 2,400 watt-hours? That would be too high, unless we are talking about somewhere like southern Mexico rather than California.

A 300 watt panel would yield a number of watt-hours worth of electricity equal to 300 times the average 'peak sun hours' for the location. For California that is about 5 (more in southern California and less in northern), so ~1500 watt-hours per day.

I am 'spouting' math... to demonstrate the accuracy of the various sites I linked which stated that only a small land area is needed for solar power to cover our energy needs.

You, and others, have insisted that the opposite is true... while providing no evidence at all.

Have you heard of the psychological concept of projection?
I install solar systems, an 1150 watt system in Arizona will run a medium size fridge and a house, not well, water pump. 8000 watts of d2 agms, That's a 1000 lbs of batteries. Solar has its place, in this case an off grid home. You could improve that particular system with sun tracking but it won't turn it into a nuclear plant. Elon Musk is one of the smartest men in the business, aside from being a con artist, his cars catch fire, he's eating his solar panels he sold to walmart because they catch fire, the boat that went down off santa barbara last week and killed 34 people has a good chance of being from a lithium battery fire. The industry is a long wY from being sorted out and just isn't ready for prime time. 20+ years return on investment for a on grid home system is not viable. The systems have degraded to the point of needing replacement and upgrades by then. Power companies should not have to buy your excess on a sunny day when they make up all your wants 24/7. Go offgrid, run generators, buy batteries and tell me how great it is. That's what all these threads about inverters, batteries and generators are about on this forum. Home generated electricity is very expensive compared to power grid. Recharge your teslas and buses off of your own power. Laughable.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:00 AM   #801

As your latest reply contains nothing about the topic of discussion, your previous argument that solar requires vast amounts of land (e.g. all of California to power the US), I'll assume that you are conceding that you were wrong.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #802

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBDunkerson View Post
As your latest reply contains nothing about the topic of discussion, your previous argument that solar requires vast amounts of land (e.g. all of California to power the US), I'll assume that you are conceding that you were wrong.
You clearly have not comprehended what I said. The output figures you use are pure fantasy. Doesn't happen in the real world.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #803

Have had 1000 watts on my S&B roof for 9 years, a mppt controller feeding two 4d agms, through a 2000 watt inverter to run a 12 cubic foot freezer. Never touched the system. Wish everything was this reliable.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #804

Video on high efficiency (34%) thin film solar cells that Toyota is testing

Too expensive for mass production currently, but those flexible business card sized cells would work really well with RVs. They are small enough to easily fit around AC vents, windows, and the like... potentially doubling the effective solar area while also increasing the efficiency.

Maybe someday we'll see people not just running all the RV internals off solar (as some setups can manage now), but actually driving the vehicle on solar power.

Also, the new model of the Iridium electric RV has increased its advertised range to 249 miles. Still not great, but a big increase (~60 miles) from last year. Will be interesting to see how they stack up compared to the electric Winnebagos.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #805

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...eep/ar-AAIs9BV
Discal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discal View Post
Kinda cool.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #807
Community Moderator

https://electrek.co/2019/10/18/winne...-electric-rvs/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8694.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	263977
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #808

Winnebago Owners Club
A wise manufacturer will produce anything that people will buy. They make no decisions on practicality but simply if they can sell it for a profit.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #809

The Tesla pickup is being advertised as having 240 volt outlets. What sort of equipment would that allow that you don't often see in motorhomes currently?

Tags
rvs