Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

Electric Step Problem

We have a 2012 Coachman Mirada. The step extends, and retracts with no problem however, when it gets to the fully extended or retracted position it bounces back and forth about 8-10 times, moving 1/2 inch or so, then stops.

It's not binding that I can tell. I've disconnected the motor and it moves freely. Tried adjusting the step, but it's still does it each time.

I thought maybe the gear had a broken tooth, but that looks good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mick

USAF Air Force Retired
CanAmMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You may have a bad gear in the gearbox.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:48 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low batteries cause weird things to happen. You might check it as long as you are looking.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmMick View Post
We have a 2012 Coachman Mirada. The step extends, and retracts with no problem however, when it gets to the fully extended or retracted position it bounces back and forth about 8-10 times, moving 1/2 inch or so, then stops.

It's not binding that I can tell. I've disconnected the motor and it moves freely. Tried adjusting the step, but it's still does it each time.

I thought maybe the gear had a broken tooth, but that looks good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mick
It sounds like the "gear slugs" are crushing. When you inspected the gear the slugs are in the center of the gear buried in grease. The center of gear is a triangular shape and there are 3 round nylon "slugs" that set in the center and drive against a triangular shaft. These slugs are designed to fail if the step is subjected to unusual forces.
I'll find a link to this and attach it or add another post.

EDIT
Okay was able to find my first encounter , read through it and it might get you on the right track. The slugs are available at most big auto parts stores, about $5. The whole motor assembly is usually under $50, if you go that way it is typically from a late 80's drivers door, power window motor, Ford Taurus. Take the motor with you for a match.
click this link http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/step...ml#post1270475
Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Were you able to resolve your problem, inquiring (nosey) minds need to know
Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Were you able to resolve your problem, inquiring (nosey) minds need to know
No sir, not yet. I did get under it and found that the steps are made by Lippert!

Been too cold this week to get anything done outside. Suppose to be in the 60's this weekend. Then, I'll drive it to the house and see what I can figure out.

I did find one place on the internet where a guy had the same problem, but he did not list what was causing it, or what he did to correct the issue.

When I figure it out I'll be sure to post it here!

USAF Air Force Retired
Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably going to be pretty much the same as Kwikee, not a lot of science involved. The motor is still most likely an automotive device, MH component manufacturers borrow as many existing designs as they can. Wipers, headlights, taillights, etc etc..
Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had similar problem a couple of times. My steps are Coach Step, and they were bought out by Lippert. The first time mine acted this way the actual step control module was bad. The next time it was the motor. The motor, if memory serves me, was a drivers side electric window motor from a Ford Tarus, cant remember year. These motors and the step module are not to well sealed against the weather and there is the problem. I read that Lippert had made some revisions to the module and they were sealed better but I don't know.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
I have had similar problem a couple of times. My steps are Coach Step, and they were bought out by Lippert. The first time mine acted this way the actual step control module was bad. The next time it was the motor. The motor, if memory serves me, was a drivers side electric window motor from a Ford Tarus, cant remember year. These motors and the step module are not to well sealed against the weather and there is the problem. I read that Lippert had made some revisions to the module and they were sealed better but I don't know.
I was curious about the Lippert and went to their website. They redesigned their steps for 2013, look pretty nice. Pictures don't show much detail but it don't look like the old window motor system. They also stated they added a load control for interference protection, sounds like they did not have that in the pre 2013 models (???).
Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #10

Drove it to the house Friday night. I was going to work on it Saturday, but we are expecting a lot of rain, so won't be able to get anything done till Sunday. I'll do a good inspection and see if I can find any problems. If I don't guess I'll be calling Lippert sometime next week to see what they have to say.

From what info I could find, it looks like the motor cost around $180. I thought the control module would be around the same price, but the cheapest I could find it for so far is about $240.

Anyone know of any good website that may sell parts for a reasonable price?

USAF Air Force Retired
Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure it is a "specialty" motor. Lippert info said they redesigned the steps for 2013, if you have the older style the motor maybe the automotive $50 motor. Anything you buy from the OEM will be premium $$.

If you could post a picture of it many of us could give further help.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'm interested in this thread as well. I have the Lippert, and with each passing season, the thing acts crazier and crazier. I expect to do some overhaul work on it soon if we ever get some decent weather here. Please post pics as you repair yours. Very interested in hearing of your eventual parts source as well.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #13

Worked on the steps for about 5 hours today. The gears on the motor, and the coach step gear plate assembly are fine, no broken or chipped teeth. I really thought that that would end up being the problem, but...

No loose, or worn bushings.

The first step drive arms, and the coach step drive arms are not bent and are properly secured.

I disconnected the motor from the step to ensure there was no binding. The steps extend and retract very easily with the motor disconnected.

After I put everything back together and started adjusting the coach step double ball joint assembly I found that when the motor fully extended, or retracted the steps if I manually moved the steps up and down, that the motor gear would turn freely for about 3/4 of a turn. Not really sure if it's suppose to do that or not.

I started by lengthening the coach step double ball joint assembly 1/2 turn, then closed and opened the door to see what it would do. Did that until the ball joint was tight and I really couldn't go any farther because it was starting to bind up. When the ball joint was fully extended, it made the steps bounce more when it reached the fully extended and retracted position.

Next I shortened the coach step double ball joint assembly 1/2 turn, then closed and opened the door to see what it would do. Did that till the two jam nuts were all the way together. That make the bouncing when it reached the fully extended or retracted position almost go away. But with that adjustment there was a lot of movement in the steps if you moved it by hand. Some times it would not bounce at all when it extended or retracted the steps. Sometimes it would bounce in the fully extended position, and work fine in the retracted position. Then the next time it would do just the opposite.

About that time I decided to take a break from it because I was getting so darn frustrated. Made me think about some of the problems that I ran into when I first started working on helicopters in the Air Force. Taking a break from it was the best thing I could have done.

After about an hour break I started extending the coach step double ball joint assembly 1/8 of a turn, then closed and opened the door to see what it would do. After about a turn and a half, it really started making a difference. Got it to where it would only bounce once, or twice when it reached the fully extended, or retracted position. Even then, it was barely bouncing so I thought about calling it quits.

Decided to start making smaller adjustments, and after about 20 more minutes going one way, then back the other I finally got it to work correctly. No more bouncing. Just hope it stays that way. Only time will tell!

Link below should show all the parts that I've talked about:

step motor - Available Now in the Lippert Components, Inc Online Store

I'll keep everyone posted and will let you know if it starts acting up again.

USAF Air Force Retired
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't really know what Lippert did to make it new and improved, but I heard they just weather seal the motor and module better. But since to OP has a 2012 model the steps are probably not the new and improved ones. Just look on the motor and get the numbers, should be an SAE or other, google that number and you should get the motor type. But it sounds like you have about worked the problem out with no parts needed. Hope the steps continue to work.