Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #15

If you still have the rattle at the steps after trying all the other fixes, it may not be the steps!! My 38R had the AWFUL rattle and was taken in and checked 3 times, the techs at camping worlds, and McClains could not locate or fix. So I took it on myself to find the solution. The 38R has the forward splash fender, just forward of the right front tire, it has just enough space between this piece of metal and the frame for the hydraulics to rattle when the wind catches it. It has no brace on the bottom side. I added a bottom brace to stop this and no more rattle!! If you get under there take your hand and pull this metal back and let it vibrate and you will know if this is the issue!
Mahzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Rattling steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzo6 View Post
If you still have the rattle at the steps after trying all the other fixes, it may not be the steps!! My 38R had the AWFUL rattle and was taken in and checked 3 times, the techs at camping worlds, and McClains could not locate or fix. So I took it on myself to find the solution. The 38R has the forward splash fender, just forward of the right front tire, it has just enough space between this piece of metal and the frame for the hydraulics to rattle when the wind catches it. It has no brace on the bottom side. I added a bottom brace to stop this and no more rattle!! If you get under there take your hand and pull this metal back and let it vibrate and you will know if this is the issue!
Got under my Forza 36G on Saturday, and began looking to see what may be making that rattling noise that sounded like the steps when I was above 25mph and hitting slight bumps. At higher speeds, it would do it even on smooth roads depending upon the wind.

I took at look at the front fender of the wheel well, and as you mentioned, there was no bracket to the bottom corner. If you hit it with your hand, it would vibrate back and forth, and contact the step bracket. That was the noise I heard inside!!! It was contacting the steps enough that it was rusting where it was vibrating against the fender! I cut a piece of rubber 3/8" id hose about 3" long, and slit it down the side. Then I slipped it over the step bracket between the fender and the bracket. Noise was GONE! Thanks so much for telling me what to look for! If they would have used a short angle bracket and bolted the fender to the step, it never would have made a sound! Thanks so much!

As an aside, I found that the condensate drain hose (wrapped in corrugated wire loom) from the dash AC box was another noise that sounded like a loose rope or wire slapping under the steps when I got above 65mph. Apparently they wire tied this hose to a frame tube behind the steps, and left about a 20" length of it to dangle loose. Air would cause that hose to flail around slapping things under and around the steps. I put another wire tie on it at the bottom of the frame to secure it from moving. That annoying slapping is GONE!!!! It's getting quieter all the time now!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Rattle from front of fender against steps

Took some pictures last evening of the fender where it was rubbing the steps, before I put the piece of hose over the offending piece that vibrated and rubbed against the fender. This may help you to check yours out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_181145.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	140699   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_181201.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	140700  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_181224.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	140701  
Old 10-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #18

Easy fix after the problem was found. Seem there are quite a few of the Forzas with this rattle problem! Just a little more QC would help! You might check the splash shield for the house batteries also. Seems they used Aluminum struts X 3 to hold the splash/heat shield under the house batteries from vibrating. The metal panel is pretty large. Checked mine after a trip and all but the far forward support strut was broke. It had vibrated to the point of metal fatigue and was cracking up the back side of the panel. Made some stainless supports to replace the aluminum and reattached the back side! Worth a look!
Mahzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzo6 View Post
Easy fix after the problem was found. Seem there are quite a few of the Forzas with this rattle problem! Just a little more QC would help! You might check the splash shield for the house batteries also. Seems they used Aluminum struts X 3 to hold the splash/heat shield under the house batteries from vibrating. The metal panel is pretty large. Checked mine after a trip and all but the far forward support strut was broke. It had vibrated to the point of metal fatigue and was cracking up the back side of the panel. Made some stainless supports to replace the aluminum and reattached the back side! Worth a look!
Thanks for the recommendation to check that splash shield. I am in the process of making some mud flaps to prevent rocks and mud from getting thrown all over the propane department, and the rear wheels from throwing stuff into the battery compartment and all over the air cleaner assembly. I plan to cut a couple of 24x24" semi rubber mudflaps into 4 pieces and bolt them on behind the tires. This should help stop some of the stuff from being thrown up "under the bus". I'll check out that splash shield while I am under there!
Old 10-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #20

I developed a rattle problem by the steps on my Forza 36G. Turns out it was not the steps at all, but the weld on the fender between the RF tire and the steps had broken and the thin fender would rattle at speed.
The vehicle is almost brand new and was under warranty, but my neighbor is a professional welder and volunteered to weld it back into place. Now no rattle. What is a disgrace is that to take it to the closest Winnebago dealer for the 30 minutes at most it to fix would have been scheduled out almost a month. RV customer service for repairs/maintenance is a disgrace. And probably nationwide.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
I developed a rattle problem by the steps on my Forza 36G. Turns out it was not the steps at all, but the weld on the fender between the RF tire and the steps had broken and the thin fender would rattle at speed.
The vehicle is almost brand new and was under warranty, but my neighbor is a professional welder and volunteered to weld it back into place. Now no rattle. What is a disgrace is that to take it to the closest Winnebago dealer for the 30 minutes at most it to fix would have been scheduled out almost a month. RV customer service for repairs/maintenance is a disgrace. And probably nationwide.

We bot a new Bounder 4/16 and after discovering several issues, and after calling 4 dealers and getting scheduled out 10 weeks for warrantee work we sold our beautiful new coach, took a $20,000 hit, and we are going back to Tiffin.
Breeze2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps