Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #43

Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I don’t know. A lot of people spend 40,000 on a car now a days. Is that even an expensive car nowadays considering the performance, features and convenience?

Have you tried to buy a late model $40,000 Tesla?

Search AutoTrader, or TruCar or any of the car sites. . . There’s a bunch For
Sale with 6,000 to 8,000 miles on them, and Least expensive I saw was $48,000.

Try to buy one of those Tesla Model 3s for $35k. They won’t sell them online. Instead you’ll be directed to your local Tesla store front where they’ll try to up sell you on options . . . But then again. . . Who wants a base model without Full Self Driving?[emoji12]
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post

Try to buy one of those Tesla Model 3s for $35k. They won’t sell them online. Instead you’ll be directed to your local Tesla store front where they’ll try to up sell you on options . . . But then again. . . Who wants a base model without Full Self Driving?[emoji12]
Yes they are still expensive, but the majority of the used ones have the high dollar premium package, 19 inch wheels and the long range battery, autopilot and FSD capability. A 2018 Model 3 still has 4 years on whole car warranty and 7 years on battery/powertrain warranty.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #45

Quote:

Well, I don’t know about the 35500 model, but a model 3 standard range plus brand new on the website is 39400 bucks plus shipping. You need a credit card and a mouse. You might be looking at a model S or X. Those are pricier. But the model 3 Standard range plus is the most commonly sold Tesla today.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Yes they are still expensive, but the majority of the used ones have the high dollar premium package, 19 inch wheels and the long range battery, autopilot and FSD capability. A 2018 Model 3 still has 4 years on whole car warranty and 7 years on battery/powertrain warranty.
Sell it baby! Sell it!

Just kidding. . .

What I'm saying is that for $35,000+ (if you could even find one for that price) there are a lot of other options that don't come with the constraints of an EV. Even a Tesla.

Here's a young lady who took her model 3 on a 900 mile road trip. She had to stop about every 150 miles for a 40 minute (probably more like an hour) recharge on a Supercharger just to keep the trip going.

https://youtu.be/O_ZYxEkvrF8

I don't want these kinds of constraints when I drive anywhere. . . and I dang sure don't want to have to think about it this hard. A simple thing made hard!

Again. . . it fine for the enthusiast and the crusaders, but the mainstream masses aren't going to tolerate it. That would be me!
Old 10-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #47

Smile

Quote:
Sell it baby! Sell it!

Just kidding. . .

What I'm saying is that for $35,000+ (if you could even find one for that price) there are a lot of other options that don't come with the constraints of an EV. Even a Tesla.

Here's a young lady who took her model 3 on a 900 mile road trip. She had to stop about every 150 miles for a 40 minute (probably more like an hour) recharge on a Supercharger just to keep the trip going.

I don't want these kinds of constraints when I drive anywhere. . . and I dang sure don't want to have to think about it this hard. A simple thing made hard!

Again. . . it fine for the enthusiast and the crusaders, but the mainstream masses aren't going to tolerate it. That would be me!
I can go over 300 miles on a single charge with no problem. Many, many have gone coast to coast on just the Tesla supercharger system, but there over 48000 EV charging stations cross country now, not as fast as a supercharger though. But as many have said, Tesla's are for rich people, so they will probably have a ICE as well, for those trips over 300 miles.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #48

Just bought a Tesla Model S extended range. Love the car. Posted range is 380 miles. I know that is with AC and everything off, just like posted mileage for an ICE vehicle. I have found that if I drive it normally I get very good range. If I punch it range drops considerably, as does the millage with a ICE vehicle. This car will accelerate so fast it is scary. It holds the1/4 mile record for a 4 door production sedan, 10.72-second run at 120.27 mph.
I did not buy it for the environment or the economy, I bought it because DW wanted it.
If you have not driven one, do it. It is a blast!
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Sell it baby! Sell it!

Just kidding. . .

I get that. But if one is going to do 900 mile road trips regularly then one should consider getting a long range Tesla. It’s not that their range is that much longer than a standard range plus model (60 or 70 miles) but your charge stops are about twice as quick. A Plus model max charge rate is 100 KW in a standard range plus. Same as an Eplus Nissan Leaf. In a long range model the max rate is 250 Kw at a V3 Supercharger and 150 Kw at a normal Supercharger. The average stop length at a V2 Supercharger is 22 minutes and for a V3 Supercharger is 15 minutes. At that point your journey really is no longer as most of us stop every two or three hours anyway. Tesla owners just take their rest break at a Supercharger.

Of course now we are talking about a 48000 dollar car. Which sounds expensive until you consider that every other high performance sedan in this category is at least this much or more. BMW’s, Mercedes, Audi etc. And the Tesla will run circles around all of them in every metric. Plus they are a lot more convenient. No dealing with credit cards or cash. 90 percent of your charging is done at home at night while you sleep. No more getting into cold cars in winter and hot cars in summer. Nice.

Electric vehicles are not a panacea but there is a lot of misinformation out there.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #50

I have always had fast BMW's and AUDI's, and PORSCHE's, but guess what I have now.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
I have always had fast BMW's and AUDI's, and PORSCHE's, but guess what I have now.
All that noise and the Audi and the BMW still had their ass handed to them. Lol.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #52

So a quick question for you Tesla owners . . .

Can a Tesla be towed 4 Flat behind my Motorhome. . . And if so, will it charge the battery as it would during deceleration.

In fact, is this possible on any EV?

Sorry if this is off topic for this thread.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #53

Quote:
I believe the answer to production is in Molten Salt Reactors, or more specifically Liquid Fluorine Thorium Reactors. LFTR - pronounced “Lifter”. (Google Kirk Sorensen of Flibe Energy).

Unfortunately, politics is standing in the way as most politicians don’t want their name associated with anything that has the word “nuclear” in it.
I'd say that economics is standing in the way.

Makers of standard nuclear reactors that have made it through the 'political' process and been approved for construction are now choosing not to break ground because they can't get enough funding. Investors are moving to cheaper options.

Thorium reactors, on the other hand, are so expensive that they have never been commercially viable... let alone in comparison to the falling prices of modern options. Doesn't matter how great the technology is if it is going to cost more.

Quote:
As for EVs they are still not a car for the masses, but for the enthusiast or crusader. ( though Tesla is pushing that boundary really hard). To bad they’re so dang expensive!
If you only look at purchase price then yes, EVs still cost a more than comparable ICEs. However, when you factor in 'fueling' and maintenance costs, EVs now cost less over the vehicle's lifetime. Continuing declines in battery costs now put us only a few years away from the point that even EV purchase prices are lower. Indeed, that point has already passed in some countries that have imposed extra charges on ICE vehicles to reflect the environmental and health damage they cause.
CBDunkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #54

Unfortunately not. We tow an EV behind our Motorhome but it is on a trailer. Our preferred method of towing. I am not aware of any EV that can be towed four down. I have seen a number of leafs being towed on a dolly.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #55

Even if the electric car could recharge when being towed, note the energy to do that is coming from the Tow vehicle (the RV). Which is burning diesel to do so. Better would be to do solar on the RV and feed that to the electric Toad. I haven't done the calculations, but I bet it would take a LONG time to charge the Toad from empty.

Not aware of a real reason an electric couldn't be towed four down, but am aware from reading that a Tesla cannot. I wonder if it's just a "software update" that could enable that. Anybody have any mechanical facts on why it's not allowed?
Old 10-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #56

Not really. On both of our EV’s the regeneration drops to zero if the battery is full so don’t think that’s it. It essentially just coasts when it’s full. Both our EV’s have a “neutral” position where the wheels just free.spin.

We need a rich dude to buy one and try it out behind their coach.

Tags
electric