Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #1

Electrical problem

When on shore power both TV's work as they should. Problem is when on inverter the front TV will run off the inverter but not the bedroom one. I followed the wiring from the inverter and the 120v power comes out and goes to a white box the kind of look like a recepticle box only fully enclosed and two cords come out of it. All that is run by the inverter are the two TV's. Anyone have any ideas. Trying to post picture but not having much luck
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #2

We need more information.

Please tell us what coach you have.

And, what inverter.

Sounds like a small inverter if all it is wired to is two TV's (instead of those, additional outlets, microwave)
Old 10-17-2021, 07:25 AM   #3

piClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302 (1).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	346313 Picture of box . Yes small inverter Xantrex xm1000 which is new and exact replacement of old one. Wired the same. Coach is a Jayco Precept.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #4

First question, does the rear TV fail to work when both TVs are in use or does it fail when it is the only TV in use.?

Second question, how charged is your battery bank?

The picture you posted looks to be a small J-box. Your inverter has a pass through transfer switch which allows shore power to pass through the inverter and power the circuit which, in your case, is two TVs. Since both TVs work on shore power, you know some things:
1. The inverter is passing 110v through to the circuit.
2. The circuit through the inverter to the TVs, including the wiring and J-box, is good.

The only factor that seems to account for your situation is a bad battery bank power supply or something else that is interrupting DC power to the inverter. Not being familiar with that particular inverter, and it is brand new, it's hard to know what effect low DC voltage will have on the 110v output load.

The above is based on typical RV wiring of the inverter and shore power. Yours maybe different.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #5

Did you check voltage at the plug to make sure the TV isn't the problem?

There's a wire from the inverter to the box, then wires to plugs for the 2 televisions? If so that's probably a simple junction box. Did you open it up and check the connections?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #6

Outlet is dead on inverter power but live when on shore power. Incoming DC volts to inverter read 12.5. I realize that wiring from inverter to TV box should be good as have good voltage at box [124] on shore power that is what makes this so baffling to me. I have done quite a bit of wiring in past but not a guru by any means.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
No one has asked this question yet. Have you EVER had both TV's working on the inverter? You say it is a brand new one? Exact replacement? Is this RV new to you? Did the old inverter quit and you replaced it? Who replaced it and you say it is wired EXACTLY the same? What does that mean. Most inverters power a sub-panel and only the outlets on that subpanel will work on the inverter.

I mean it really sounds to me like only the outlet for the front TV is wired to the inverter. Do any other outlets power up with the inverter?
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #8

That's a MSW inverter, maybe the bedroom TV doesn't like that. Got a long cord extension cord or two, or unhook the front TV and plug it into the bedroom plug.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #9

Is there another receptacle near the bedroom TV? Could you be plugged into the wrong receptacle?
Old 10-17-2021, 07:16 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Very simple answer, assuming this is the issue. Not all 120V outlets are wired thru the inverter. You should have 2 or 3 more outlets that are dead on inverter only. Manufacturer does this to prevent too much power being used at one time when not on shorepower. Although that is not an effective thing to do as you can easily overdo power from the inverter powered outlets alone. I had my dealer wire all my outlets through the inverter, which was not a big job as the labor bill was not much. So have an RV electrician do that for you.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:20 AM   #11

Damon Tuscany electrical problems

I'm not well versed with a computer and this is my first visit to any type of forum if I've done something incorrectly please tell me. I have a2006 Damon Tuscany that I purchased used. The local power company shutdown power for a day to work on their transmission lines and I've had nothing but problems since. May I continue?
cadillac1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #12

I thank all who have replied. Please understand that both TVs work on inverter on our last trip and when I went to check things out for up coming trip found the inverter not putting out any AC when on batteries. Replaced with exact same inverter. Wired the same. It just the bedroom TV that will not work when not on shore power and on batteries. I unplugged TV today and ran extension cord from GFCI on front of inverter to Bedroom TV and it works that way but not when plugged into wall socket where it was before this problem. Front tv work okay on both and bedroom works fine when on shorepower but as soon as shore power unplugged and on the house batteries it does not work.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
I thank all who have replied. Please understand that both TVs work on inverter on our last trip and when I went to check things out for up coming trip found the inverter not putting out any AC when on batteries. Replaced with exact same inverter. Wired the same. It just the bedroom TV that will not work when not on shore power and on batteries. I unplugged TV today and ran extension cord from GFCI on front of inverter to Bedroom TV and it works that way but not when plugged into wall socket where it was before this problem. Front tv work okay on both and bedroom works fine when on shorepower but as soon as shore power unplugged and on the house batteries it does not work.
Note bold in your post. That’s the first clue, IMO.

Once again, what is the state of charge of your batteries, how old are they, and have you tested each battery separately?

You know the following:
1. Inverter pass through and wiring to tvs are good because both tvs work on shore.

2. Inverter produces ac because front tv will work. GFI on front of inverter will power rear tv.

Have you tested the voltage, with a meter, at the bedroom outlet when the tv fails to work? What is the reading if not zero?

Will both tvs work at the same time when on inverter and rear tv is plugged into the gfi on the front of the inverter with an extension cord?
If, “yes,” then the only remaining suspect is the J-box connection to the rear tv.
If “no,” the batteries remain main suspect.

Until the condition of the battery bank can be established, it is the prime suspect. It takes several hours of charging to fully recharge a dead battery bank, and that’s one with no shorted cells.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
When on shore power both TV's work
when on inverter the front TV will run off the inverter
but not the bedroom one.

I followed the wiring from the inverter and the 120v power comes out and goes to a white box the kind of look like a recepticle box only fully enclosed and two cords come out of it.

All that is run by the inverter are the two TV's.

inverter Xantrex xm1000 which is new and exact replacement of old one. Wired the same. Coach is a Jayco Precept.

Incoming DC volts to inverter read 12.5.
I realize that wiring from inverter to TV box should be good as have good voltage at box [124] on shore power

both TVs work on inverter on our last trip and when
for up coming trip found the inverter not putting out any AC when on batteries.
Replaced with exact same inverter. Wired the same.
It just the bedroom TV that will not work when not on shore power and on batteries.
I unplugged (bedroom) TV today and ran extension cord from GFCI on front of inverter to Bedroom TV and it works that way but not when plugged into wall socket where it was before this problem.
Bedroom outlet is no longer connected to the inverter. Wiring was most likely changed when new inverter was installed.

The inverter output junction box may have one input and two outputs. One output goes to “front” TV. Other output does not go to “bedroom” TV.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, problem