RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Electrical question

So I want to buy some supplies before my first RV gets delivered. I do not know all the situations ahead of me and I want to be prepared to possibly need 50' of 30 amp extension cord to attach to my RV cord which will attach to my RV. Can I buy 2 25' extension cords and use 1 when that is all I need and put two together when I need 50'. Or do I need to buy a 25' and a 50' and use separately. thanks
dralign is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #2

You may purchase 2 25' 30A extension cords, however, you must be aware of the total ampere draw of your RV compared to length and wire size of shore power cable/cord.
FWIW I seldom needed more than one 25' 30A extension cord, perhaps once in my RVing lifetime, as the RV is normally equipped with one attached 30' shore power cord.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Assuming the one attached to or came with your unit is 25 ft., then I would get a second 25 ft.

Bottom line you need at least 50ft of cord (in two 25 footers). We have use our extension cord 4 times in the last 3 years.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:47 PM   #4

You can plug one into another, no need for a 50 ft cord.

My RV has the 30 amp twist lock outlet on the side. I use a 30 amp marine cord as an extension. It has twist lock connectors on both ends. I plug that in and then connect the RV shire cord to it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Just be aware that if you pull more than about 24 amps constantly for a lengthy period, the cords will heat up and the plug-joints are likely to show signs of overheating, e.g. a slight melting of the rubber or blackened pins. The connections are a sort of choke point and they get hot first. A cord with larger wire (smaller wire gauge number) would avoid that. A 30A cord has 10 gauge wire, while a 50A cord is 6 gauge.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:24 AM   #6

In over 20 years of RV'ing I've probably used a shorepower extension only a couple of times. However, when you need one you really need one. I've never been in a situation where I needed more than a 25' extension.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #7

Right now I'm using 4 25' cords with the standard cord and i only have a little slack. Been fine all summer with AC and everything. Just don't run AC coffee microwave all at the same time. Got down to about 105 volts a few times but appliances are certified to 97 volts.

Temporary while building the cabin. Will be there all winter.

Have a hard Start cap on the AC but I do that with all mine.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

I think you are worrying about setting up in a camp ground when you RV'ING. If this is the case than I would not buy any 30Amp extension cord!

I have pulled three different 5ER's each with the power receptacle in a different location on them. I have never need any extension cords for my trailers. What I do when placing the trailer on the site is use the power cord length as the determining factor for the trailer placement along with slide clearance. I have nerve had any problems doing it this way. Most power pedestal are either to the rear of the pad or in the center, so it is easy to place your trailer so, the power cord will reach the pedestal from the trailer.

I do carry over 50' of water hose and 50' of sewer hose which are a lot cheaper to buy and replace if needed. Sometimes using the entire length of the water/ sewer hose but not too often.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would buy two 25' cords so you can use just one if that's all you need. Less voltage drop that way!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #10

I have 55ft total and frequently use more than 30ft, like I am right now.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #11

I bought a second cord mainly in case the first cord gets damaged or even stolen. But it probably would have made sense to try to find maybe a 10 or 15 foot cord, because usually that's all I need and then there's a lot lying around on the ground.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #12

Lots of good advice above!

I have a Dutchmen Kodiak Cub, 21 foot TT. The manual specifies one additional adapter or extension. So one additional 10 gauge extension cord is allowed as long as no other adapters are used. It is a standard RV 120 volt 30 amp system.

The TT came with a 25 foot 10 gauge cord. I bought a 25 foot extension with 30 amp plug and socket so no adapters were needed. I frequently camp at state and federal campgrounds in Wisconsin and occasionally in Texas. I have never needed the extension. It is still in shinny new condition. A 30 foot or longer TT may occasionally benefit from an extension for rear or "wrong" side pedestal connections.

Extending shore power connections requires consideration for current draw and distance. Tables and rules of thumb are often used to determine what works. The "one adapter or extension" is a rule of thumb. The definitive test is measuring the voltage at the TT appliance while the full desired load is working.

A cheap $15 voltmeter is all that is required. First measure the voltage at the shore power outlet. Desired voltage is 120 volts. It may be lower. That makes things more complected.

Connect the extension cord. Turn on high power appliances like A/C, water heater, electric refrigerator, etc. Remember, these things start and stop automatically and must be "on" for this test. Measure voltage at an outlet inside the TT. The minimum voltage for many air conditioners is 108 volts. It is desirable to have higher voltage.

Power management may be required. Switch water heater and/or refrigerator to propane to reduce load. Remember a microwave is also a high power device. You may not be able to run more than two high power devices even without the extension cord. If shore power voltage is lower (summer heat wave in Fla.) Fewer devices may be required. Voltages below 108 volts at the pedestal has been reported. Keep voltage in TT above 108 volts. Reduce usage as required.

I bought a 25 foot sewer hose for dumping tanks. I frequently dump at campground dump stations in Wisconsin. 25 feet was excessive and clumsy. I bought a 10 foot replacement (6ft when compressed). It works much better.

I installed a belly mounted sewer hose holder for the second hose. Keeping the "stinky slinky" out of my storage compartments is desired.

In Texas, many campsites have a dedicated sewer drain. The 25 foot sewer hose was useful for rear of site drains. Some people find a sewer hose support device useful to get good flow over longer distances.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I bought a 25 foot sewer hose for dumping tanks. I frequently dump at campground dump stations in Wisconsin. 25 feet was excessive and clumsy. I bought a 10 foot replacement. It works much better.
My dealer gave me a sewer hose and when I opened the box I discovered it was two hoses, I'm assuming both 10 feet. I've never had to connect them both up, nor have I ever even used the second, but it remains ready on standby.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:04 AM   #14

We sometimes pull forward into a site so that the door points towards a family member's or friend's campsite. The extra 25 foot extension cord is usually needed during those times. Other than that, I can't remember ever needing an extension. And in 40 something years of RVing, I've never needed more than one extension cord.

Tags
electric, electrical