Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing I didn't see mentioned is flies, there are thousands of them in most sewer systems who are delighted to have access to your coach when the black valve is left open.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Ewwww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
One thing I didn't see mentioned is flies, there are thousands of them in most sewer systems who are delighted to have access to your coach when the black valve is left open.
And, roaches... 'Only thing worse than importing bugs from the sewer: bugs with p&#p-covered feet. Remember not to leave the bread out, on the counter...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #17

I'm glad I came across this thread, I was thinking of the same question. I'm brand new to this board and to the luxury type camping (that's camping with solid walls around me and a latrine with shower). I have not yet emptyed a black or gray tank as my first luxury camping trip will start tomorrow. But, I was thinking, as I was reading some of the replies, that I have a shower hose located right next to the tank valves. I'm thinking that after I empty one or both of the tanks, I'd run fresh water through the drain hose to clean it out. I'd do that to supplement the final flush from the gray tanks, just to be a little picky about it. BTW, I have a new box of medical latex gloves ready for the chore.

I like the suggestion of creating a P-Trap with the drainage hose, that is a good/great idea.
Two Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
twojays, keeping your "stinky slinky' as clean as possible is always a good idea, but generally, don't do this with anything that actually connects to or ever comes anywhere near your drinking water supply.

Most dump sites have running water.

At a campsite you wouldn't, unless you had an extra hose (that you never use to drink from or fill your fresh water tank from) to spray it out with.

I just used my gray water to flush it, then connected the 2 ends together so it sealed itself into a circle. For sure get the good "rhino" red hose, or something similar in quality. It's not pretty when a cheap one lets go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poop.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	15121  
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2 cents worth

I have been doing this for a few years now and this is what I do. I don't hook up to the sewer at all will camped at the RV park. When I am ready to leave, or sooner if the tank gets 3/4 full then I dump the black tank followed by the grey tank. Then I put two or three gallons of water in the black tank with a little bit of Dawn dish detergent. I then rinse and put the sewer hose away.
The reasons I do this is this; 1) The solids need the the water to be suspended in so they will flow out easily. 2) Nothing like flies or other nasty bugs can crawl into the rig and cause misery. 3) The hose is protected from the sun and damage from others running over it with their vehicles, machinery or cutting it with their string trimer. 4) I'm ready to go in a moments notice if there is a sudden emergency like the Texas fires or flash floods like in AZ or other places roll up the electrical cord fire up the motor and haul butt!
Just MHO YMMV

Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #20

Full hookup"

Black closed
grey open
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
I have been doing this for a few years now and this is what I do. I don't hook up to the sewer at all will camped at the RV park. When I am ready to leave, or sooner if the tank gets 3/4 full then I dump the black tank followed by the grey tank. Then I put two or three gallons of water in the black tank with a little bit of Dawn dish detergent. I then rinse and put the sewer hose away.
The reasons I do this is this; 1) The solids need the the water to be suspended in so they will flow out easily. 2) Nothing like flies or other nasty bugs can crawl into the rig and cause misery. 3) The hose is protected from the sun and damage from others running over it with their vehicles, machinery or cutting it with their string trimer. 4) I'm ready to go in a moments notice if there is a sudden emergency like the Texas fires or flash floods like in AZ or other places roll up the electrical cord fire up the motor and haul butt!
Just MHO YMMV

I'm with you - I don't hook up sewer hose until ready to dump. Never saw a reason to hook up on arrival. Too much chance of hose coming loose - kids, mowers, just because, etc. Or worse, things crawling up the hose from the sewer. I did like the suggestion above about forming a p trap with the hose if you do leave it hooked up.
Also - no matter how good a hose connector you have, in Florida a donut is required by state law and they never seem to stay tight.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
IC2

Use one of these and that donut goes in the trash. Even Wally World has a version that works well.
Attached Images

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Use one of these and that donut goes in the trash. Even Wally World has a version that works well.
I have one like that - state of Florida doesn't agree.
that it works.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #24

Well, I completed my maiden voyage and all went fairly well.

I did hook up the hose and let the grey go down when the tank filled (every morning after showers, 2 adults and 2 children). The last time I had to go to the gray tank, I only let out just enough to get the backed up water out of the shower tub. Then I emptied the black tanks and then flushed the hose out with the gray water. After all was empty, I took the hose off of the camper and used the city water hose bib to rinse out the hose a little. It all seemed to work well, at least for me.

Now, if I could only figure out how to deploy and store the darn awning without looking like I'm a member of the Keystone cops, I'd be happy. Experience will conquer all, eventually.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Jays View Post
Well, I completed my maiden voyage and all went fairly well.

I did hook up the hose and let the grey go down when the tank filled (every morning after showers, 2 adults and 2 children). The last time I had to go to the gray tank, I only let out just enough to get the backed up water out of the shower tub. Then I emptied the black tanks and then flushed the hose out with the gray water. After all was empty, I took the hose off of the camper and used the city water hose bib to rinse out the hose a little. It all seemed to work well, at least for me.
Glad things went well.

As an important footnote, please don't touch your sewer hose to the CG hose bib when rinsing it out.... for obvious reasons involving the guy right behind you connecting his drinking hose to it.

I carry a spray bottle of bleach/water solution and spray all connections both when connecting and disconnecting for this reason.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Spray the Y connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Glad things went well.

As an important footnote, please don't touch your sewer hose to the CG hose bib when rinsing it out.... for obvious reasons involving the guy right behind you connecting his drinking hose to it.

I carry a spray bottle of bleach/water solution and spray all connections both when connecting and disconnecting for this reason.

Rick
That is what I do also, I have the spray already to go and I have a box of gloves attached conveniently to the compartment door as well. Got to keep thing clean and as odorless as possible.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Glad things went well.

Rick
Me three.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #28

The spray bottle of bleach is a good idea.

No, I did not let the waste hose touch the hose bib. I do have common sense and decency working in my favor, most of the time .

Tags
water