Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Emegency preparedness

Just curious, does anyone include their RV as part do their emergency preparations? How do you include it? Why do you exclude it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Exactly what type of emergency preparations? We live on the coast, so in the event of a hurricane approaching we would load up the moho and head out...but that's about it.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Very good question.I have never really thought of that.I have my MH in its on building so at least it is out of the weather and I have 50amp service also if the power goes out on the s&bs I have a whole house gen.Just one question.Where was the Pic.taken with you MH Good Luck and safe travels
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Very good question.I have never really thought of that.I have my MH in its on building so at least it is out of the weather and I have 50amp service also if the power goes out on the s&bs I have a whole house gen.Just one question.Where was the Pic.taken with you MH Good Luck and safe travels
The pic was taken in Joshua Tree national park. We are thinking that the MH can be our emergency kit. Fresh water, a fridge for our food when we lose power. A place to keep extra clothes, food blankets etc. I'm sure there's a down side, can't think of it though and hoping someone smarter than me can come up with the issues.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
The pic was taken in Joshua Tree national park. We are thinking that the MH can be our emergency kit. Fresh water, a fridge for our food when we lose power. A place to keep extra clothes, food blankets etc. I'm sure there's a down side, can't think of it though and hoping someone smarter than me can come up with the issues.
Fuel supply is the only thing I can think of.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Just curious, does anyone include their RV as part do their emergency preparations? How do you include it? Why do you exclude it?
The short answer is yes! First and foremost as mobile shelter as I don't do tents and sleeping bags anymore. To nip it in the bud before it starts, I'm not into the "end of the world", "EMP" and "Zombie defense" stuff. Living in the desert and basically being surrounded by various local fault zones, emergency considerations and preparations are centered around either an earthquake and/or loss of utilities, especially loss of water. I keep the RV ready to roll for our camping trips with the exception of water. Due to the mild, but still freezing weather at night lately I have the tank drained. Think I have figure a way around that by isolating the tank from the lines by way of valves and air blowing the lines after winter trips. We keep dry goods loaded all the time and rotate them to keep them fresh. I've been known to say at 0800 that I want to go to one of our local places, and be rolling by noon. I keep a months supply of basic food goods loaded in Wally World clear Steralite plastic containers that we use for our usual trips that can be loaded quickly.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #7

We have our MH set up as our emengency shealter. When it is put away for the winter we keep extra cloths, dry foods, bottled water, dog food, money and even have a weapon stashed in there. Diesel tank is full of winter fuel and the propane tank is topped off. It is plugged in all of the time so the batteries are up. Up here one never knows when things will go 'tango uniform' and you will need a place to run to.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the 100Gal of fuel on board it will go about 1000 mile in any direction with out refueling you would thinkit would be perfect. However my home has 0 chance of a flood. And its hooked to a gas well. And the land I live on is full of deer.
So I'm gonna stay put.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #9

Yes.

We keep it ready and if I am at work and we have a power failure or other, DW can call several of our friends to help her motivate.
We had to use the GenSet while camping last PM. Power failure and 20 degrees with 40 mph winds...
Glad we bought her, loving life!
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
It depends on the emergency.. Back when I had a Sticks & Bricks the major emergencies I might have been called upon to deal with were power fail, Tornado, Blizzard and fire,

We kept the RV "Stocked"

Power fail: The house was wired with a generator transfer panel, INLET and matching outlet added to RV. so Mr. Onan powered essential systems (Furnace, Fridge, Freezer, Comm gear, (Radio/televison/computer) and lights in the house.

Blizzard: We park, Then and now

FIRE: RV has the ability to "Get outtta dodge" as it were,,, That said, the fire was next door after we left.

Tornado. If there is time, Get out of Dodge again. If not.. Well, I do recommend you take weather spotter training.

The RV is a fully equipped communications center too (Multi-band multiple Ham and other radios)

Remember,, IN any disaster where you have warning the best place to be is..... Somewere else.

And the RV is a great way to get there.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sure do! We live in the panhandle of Fl. They call our location "hurricane alley." She is always stocked, fully stocked. 50 amp service at the house ready to roll at a moments notice!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Sure do! We live in the panhandle of Fl. They call our location "hurricane alley." She is always stocked, fully stocked. 50 amp service at the house ready to roll at a moments notice!
Whether leaving for a six month trip or getting out of the way of a hurricane or brush fire, it takes us about 35 minutes to drive to the storage lot, load perishable foodstuffs, computers, personal items, and the dog, hook the car to the back and head out. In a real emergency we would not have to go back if things were really bad. Our motorhome is always equipped to be moved into and lived in.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #13

Living my whole life in So Cal near the San Andreas Fault I am prepared by having our Motorhome 'ready' as ready can be all the time. But having it 'ready' isn't that big of deal and I don't have to change anything to go camping. I always fill with water when I get home, that same day. Having been thru many types and strengths of Earthquakes I know to be prepared as they give about 10 second warning.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #14

Agree RV is a good addition to survival plan, We keep ours full of fuel & propane & usually full water (not water in real cold Wx but can fill up quickly if necessary) and always have empty black and grey tanks when I am home. Keep in my insulated RV garage that is most often heated to a min of 40F but warmer when I am working there. Have MH connected to power at all times while in my garage.

No longer use my RV gen for emergency B/U power but I did at one time and still can connect if necessary for essential items. I now have a 22KVA (about 17KW) liquid cooled propane Gen with auto switch installed for the sticks place. Have 2ea 500 Gal propane tanks and never have less than 500 Gal on hand.

While my home is likely the safest place to be, except if a fire occured in my house or threatened my place, it does give a sense of additional security knowing it is an option. My RV garage is separated from my house by about 200ft and the two propane tanks are isolated in their independent mound protected areas. Flooding, earthquakes or tornados are highly unlikely where I live.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote