Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Enclosed Storage vs. Covered Storage in DFW

I would like to get your input. We have fully enclosed storage (not climate controlled) in the Fort Worth area. We are not going to be traveling as much this summer. Should we move the unit to covered storage and plug it in to run the A/C or should we leave it in enclosed storage and not run the A/C? I am checking with the storage place to see if we can plug it in and run the A/C.
Please let me know your thoughts.
JMCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #2

I would forget the AC but instead but in a small dehumidifier with an open drain. Just cover any windows that are exposed to sunlight if using a covered storage. AC would work, it would just be overkill for storage, humidity is the enemy not heat.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #3

Why can't you run AC in the enclosed storage? With that said, probably all you need to run is a dehumidifier.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #4

JMCherry, We have an enclosed garage for our coach here in Phoenix. It is insulated but not climate controlled. I would not run the AC full time, the heat rises and the top of the storage unit will get very hot. Our garage gets pretty hot, I run one AC to get ready for a trip for a few days before we leave, but not more. Sometimes leave the doors open during the day to get more ventilation while the AC's run. We do find that with AC off, the coach is still cooler than the outside air during the day in the summer, how much not sure. A storage unit is much smaller typically, our garage is 56 by 34 and 16 ft tall inside allowing more air to flow around.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

I might think about moving to the non enclosed if there were a considerable difference in price. Otherwise, the pros of the enclosed outweigh the cons for sure.

With the enclosed, you don't have to worry with covering sun exposed areas that would fade or deteriorate. You wouldn't have to cover tires that might be exposed. Wide temperature swings would be less and thereby help keep condensation down. Enclosed would offer greater security as well.

Dallas has its share of humidity of course but it probably wouldn't be a big factor inside the enclosed. If anything, the OP might think about placing Damp Rid or something similar inside the coach during storage. I would not want to cause wear and tear on the ac for no reason.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #6

Mudfrog got me thinking, I also have to put a bucket under each AC drain around the coach in my garage. The monsoon in Phoenix (July/August) is high enough humidity that with the AC on, the buckets have to be emptied every few days or you have water all over the place (have had happen a few times). This is why I try not to run the AC more than a few days enclosed.

Tags
cover, storage