Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a Ford Van (V8) that clogged 3 catalytic converters before an independent shop found that the motor was not getting up to temperature, and so it was running rich. They replaced the thermostat, and fortunately with no damage due to oil thinning, it ran for another 150,000 miles before I sold it.

Make sure that this Ford dealer checks the "new" engine thoroughly, including mixture.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Contact the seller (Dealership) since the 30 day warranty is likely through them.

IF it's a "national warranty" so you can get fixed 500 miles from home Then they will have copies of all the paperwork and can fax as needed.

I would expect to have some problems.. But give them a call and make sure it is possible to document the call. If the repair shop fax is not receiving very shortly after send a registered letter as well. (discuss nature of registeration/certification with postal clerk as to what is best for proving reciept of same).
Old 08-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #45

The mechanic found the problem for the very high fuel pressure. The fuel tank was badly rusted and caused the fuel vapor line return to be clogged. This was probably caused by the RV not having been driven for an extended period of time, I assume.
The ford dealer is having the gas tank sand blasted a relined inside, the fuel pump replaced and fuel line blown off. With the replacement engine everything should now be fine.
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #46

Good luck, Keep us posted.

Terry
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I was a Ford Tech for 45 years . I think that you went the best rout .It is the way i would have gone . It sounds to me that they have the Cause and solution solved .
I don"t think that you need a lawyer but if you tell the dealer that you are going to small claims court he will pay you what you asked for . If you do go to small claims court you will likely get the full amount for the repair . We never went to court on situations like this as we new we would never win . I was prepped to go to court a few times ,but it was always settled . I love Ford but some of the sales people are scoundrels . You can get a better deal than $3000.00 .Be nice but persistent .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see a lot of talk about a missing Catalytic converter.

Though I do know what they are, what they do and how they can affect an engine.. I would not expect a buyer of a motor home to even think about those components.. I mean.. The dealer has an obligation to check on stuff like that but the buyer is not expec ted to know about them.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I see a lot of talk about a missing Catalytic converter.

Though I do know what they are, what they do and how they can affect an engine.. I would not expect a buyer of a motor home to even think about those components.. I mean.. The dealer has an obligation to check on stuff like that but the buyer is not expec ted to know about them.
The Dealer probably did a "safety and roadworthiness" inspection and touted that as a 10034 point Safety Inspection ( I exaggerate, but sometimes the number of "points" that they inspect is pretty ridiculous.) and that "inspection" is part of the advertised information. Not having a catalytic converter and not "finding that out" or mentioning it on the inspections results, irregardless of whether they actually were the ones to remove it, is in itself grounds to get the DOT/state/Attorney General involved. I would point that out to the dealer if he starts getting mulish and go from there.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #50

I don't like lawyers, but I have a mix feeling about this. I am trying to be fair but I can't help thinking he knew from the start that this engine had serious problem. The ford mechanic found that 3 pistons were broken due to intake valves stuck open.
To his credit, he proposed to trade the MH for. Better he had on his lot or fix the one we had. I didn't like the other one and didn't trust them to fix correctly the one we had. So it may have been a better solution overall.
Another bad news for us, the used engine the ford dealer found for us is not good. I ended up buying a remanufactured engine myself and have it shipped to the dealer. I paid $2949 for the engine versus $1800 for the used engine or $4300 for the ford supplied remanufactured engine.
We hope the get our MH back by the end of next week with hopefully a like new engine a like new gas tank and new fuel pump.
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not to totally hijack this thread ( there is some relevance here)

When dealing with situations such as this it is beneficial to ensure the other party get & reads your email messages. It is just as beneficial if you can prove they got & read your email.

There is a service called "Readnotify.com" that is worth checking out. We have used it for our work for years and it has been a valuable tool to help support, and even prevent the need to extend legal action.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #52

Just use Microsoft Outlook and set trace to on and you get email confirming read or not read.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Looks like everything has been said. When I traded my last vehicle I had to sign papers that I did not alter the emission system. Good Luck. I am a stock guy anyway.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Just use Microsoft Outlook and set trace to on and you get email confirming read or not read.

But only if the recipient consents to it right?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #55

If no consent then registered mail or law enforcement as laws were broken that have serious consequences to the dealer.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #56

Thor Owners Club
I'm still not understanding why you paid a nickel with this "warranty" in place? Should have asked him (Dealer) how he would like to have the MH towed to his dealership. I'm looking at the money your putting out for this and I'm betting the dealer won't pay your bill. What a deal ..... sell a MH with problems and have the new owner put the MH in good working order with his money.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, purchase