Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2022, 08:55 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Engine Cooling System Care

This is a tip based on our long history with servicing all aspects of RVs

A customer stated to me that they where very disappointed to order a new water pump for their Cummings, and it had a plastic impeller. I suggest to him to put on a cooling system filter for two reasons:

1) To add corrosion protection.

2) To keep contamination from plugging the radiator and damaging the water pump.

THE DETAILS:

But first, I started my working career in an International Harvester dealer doing in frame overhauls of Cummings engines on over the road trucks.

We installed a Perry cooling system filter on almost every engine we overhauled. The white filter seen in the lower middle of the photo is a Perry filter I found online, I am not sure that Perry is still making filters, but there are alternatives.

Detail 1) The Perry filter has cathodic protection built into it, that is it prevents corrosion in the cooling system. This is a major big deal, and well worth the investment!

Detail 2) This photo is of an IH 7.3L in a 1996 F-250, 200,000 miles and still a work horse . This heater has flow through it full time, there is simply a flapper door to either direct heat or AC into the cab. Note that there are two ball valves in the heater line to the left, this is so I can direct all the coolant flow through either the heater core, the filter, or both depending on the cab needs. FYI, I close the flow to the heater core in the summer, this way I do not need the AC when it is pleasant outside.

Detail 3) Note the Pyrex glass site tube just below the ball valve with the yellow handle. This is way awesome, and yet a trick I learned as a diesel mechanic. Having the ability to see the coolant is a supper safe way to monitor the cooling system for an issue.

When I stop for fuel, I leave my engine running to prevent after heat, if you do not know what this is, please ask. I open the engine compartment and look at the site glass to inspect for air in the cooling system before I shut down the engine. Air in the cooling system is a huge issue for these reasons:
  • For air to get in, the coolant has to get out, thus you have a leak.
  • Air in the coolant damages parts like the impeller of the water pump.
  • Being able to see contamination in the system helps tell one when to replace either/or the antifreeze/filter.

Detail 4) The Pyrex tube, as one can see is double clamped, and I used supper glue to glue it to the coolant heater line. Further, I protect the tube with a metal part that can be seen on the bottom. This metal part is clamped to the rubber heater hose, spans the glass tube, and it absorbs the vibration from the engine and relives stress on the glass tube by keeping the stress in the rubber tube.

Detail 5) Note that I used typical copper tube fittings that I soldered together to splice into the coolant lines. Note that on top of he filter I marked the fitting as to the direction of coolant flow. One needs to know the direction of flow for the filter to work properly.

Summery: A coolant filter is a great value to keep your cooling system working the best it can, hum, just like our product
It takes some effort to install one, so the next time you change your antifreeze with a high quality product, not forgetting anti-cavitation measures, you may consider putting on a coolant filter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine-cooling-sytem-filter.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	371240  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2022, 09:28 AM   #2

Yup, virtually every larger Cummins engine comes with a coolant filter, some, like my 1999 ISC, require a coolant filter precharged with SCA for the OEM antifreeze. If the newer OAT antifreeze is used no precharged SCA filter is needed, just a standard filter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #3

Great info!

Found this from Donaldson for anyone that wants more details....

https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engi...ldson-filters/
ChuckerF14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:42 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckerF14 View Post
Great info!

Found this from Donaldson for anyone that wants more details....

https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engi...ldson-filters/
Awesome, I was wondering what filter I would get to replace the Perry?
The Perry listed Allis Chambers, Baldwin, Fleetgaurd, Purolator, and WIX (not my favorite brand of filter, a frame oil filter, made by WIX killed my BMW 2002 TII , the check valve fell out and restricted oil flow).

Now I know where to go, thanks for the help

This is what makes iRV2 a great place

FYI, I spoke with the person that has the name Wolfe on iRV2, a CAT expert. He stated to me that they quit putting water filters on the diesels, I would assume this is just in some cases? Maybe Wolf can comment?

Tags
cooling, engine