Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Ensenada travels and people that are mislead and weed out the bull

I am attempting my first trip to Ensenada to camp at La Jolla. I have researched, googled, you tubed, etc etc etc. BUT when I research camping in Ensenada HERE on this website it's all crazy.. So here is what I am asking. If you have not been to Ensenada then [moderator edit] because you are not there and you can't post something about not being safe or not. You speculators were not there and basing your information on hear say. SOOO unless you got 100% proven fact that you yourself was kidnapped, ripped off, etc.. then please [moderator edit], if you have had a bad experience then post it because you speculations has been causing me fights with the wife to go or not. You guys have put it in her head she will be drugged, kidnapped and pimped out. If you have been to Ensenada, please tell me where you stayed and how you got there. My plan is to go south through San Diego, through San Yisidro border and down the 1D toll road until I get to La Jolla camp ground on the beach just south of Ensenada and before La Bufadora. I am even going where David Bordain (RIP) did great food reviews. I am still looking for a cheap deep sea fishing boat for the day. I have also been in contact with the owner of the property and have been communicating. What I don't see is actual PROOF of somebody having a bad day there.. They say they don't trust it but WHY? Can somebody give me actual negative facts of a bad experience? I don't want the lady at the store short changed me.. I am talking danger, scam, rip off, robbed, mugged, etc. stories.. If you have been to Ensenada or even La Jolla campground, please let me know where and what you did so I can do more research to enjoy my trip. Any tips of getting over the boarder faster or staying safe...I am taking my 2004 Fleetwood bounder and towing my jeep. Already got the Mexico insurance for the vehicles and a bunch of $1 dollar bills for the toll road that seems to be about $9 one way. any positive 411 would be great and welcome the truthful bad experiences, but not speculations or you heard a story from a guy in the bar that had a cousin that went 10 years ago stories.... Thank you
US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #2

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...110-story.html
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

thats not fact,, thats a story.... again
Old 06-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post
Buddy. ..fact is that it's really dangerous down there for gringos. My Mexican buddies from work won't even go down there. .

My wife and I used to ride with a group of motorcycles and take toys for Christmas, huge event that got bigger every year. .. on our way out I get pulled over cops separate me and my wife and tells me if I want to see my wife again I needed to give him everything in my wallet and could be on my way. ...I had $680 in my wallet, I always kept $500 in side pocket for emergency ...they found it, that was in 2001 before it got bad, I'm never going back

Take people's advice it's a different world down there

I'm convinced it would have cost me a hell of a lot more nowdays

To this day I never carry cash anymore. .
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post

Seems that you've already made up your mind to go regardless.

Then have fun, enjoy and stay safe .
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I haven't been through TJ for a few years, as I cross at Tecate, (38 ft MH with toad) but your plan to cross at TJ and take the toll road to Enseñada is ok. You and everyone in your party will need a passport and a tourist visa, which you can obtain in Mexico at the border. As parking for large vehicles is limited it is better to park on the US side and walk over, the day before I cross. I would camp in Chula Vista and take my toad and park at the last US exit.

Also Mexico is generally a cash society. So load up on Pesos, there is generally a bank near the border. Also the old Costco in Chula Vista will exchange at no fee. Pemex stations will take US dollars but you will not get the best exchange. Most areas have water stores selling purified water. You'll pass Walmart and Costco on your way.

I looked at google maps and it is ok, I have some short cuts but I don't want to confuse you. The turn off to la Bufadora is well marked. Mike and Terr Church have a book "Camping Baja" which I would recommend. Good luck, hope this helps.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have driven across the border in my personal car/truck and taken Hwy. 1 all the way down to El Rosario, and ate the lobster! Looked at condo's along the way with a friend, never had a problem! This was 5 years ago, back when I was working out of Las Vegas! I also rented a house in Los Algodones for 4 years! Unless it has changed a lot in the last four years or so, I would not be afraid to take my MH down to Ensenada and camp! I also have traveled to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) numerous times, and never had a problem! There are military check points along the way but never had a problem!

You do not need a tourist visa to go to Ensenada just a passport/passport card for everyone in the MH. to get back into the U.S. You can go Baja Bound insurance web site, and research every thing you need to know!

Tourist visa's are for going on into the mainland of Mx., say you are driving down to Mx. City! All of the border area's and 50 miles or so inland, including Rocky Point, and considered Tourist Area's and no visa is required!

Enjoy your trip! And post up some pic's, it is very nice, very beautiful, and the food is great! The lobsters in El Rosario, south of Ensenada are some of the best I have ever had! The restaurants are right on the water, and the lobsters are fresh every day! Get off the exit for El Rosario, and go right to the coast. Lots of restaurants to choose from! Rail!
PS, and it is "Antony Bourdain"!
Old 06-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #8

Went to puerto penasco last year for a week. I think the crossing was by aljo AZ area.. we had a great time.. 1 boat for a full day fishing for just the 3 of us was $300 as they were slow.. would do it again but elections are 1st July.. new Marxist being elected their so things will change soon
Old 06-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #9

Do I need a visa to enter Mexico?
Nationals of the following 65 countries and jurisdictions holding normal passports do not require a visa to enter Mexico as tourists, visitors in transit or business visitors. Tourists and business visitors can stay in Mexico for up to 180 days. Visitors in transit can stay for up to 30 days.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
La Bufadora is definitely worth seeing as is Hussongs ...::: Cantina Hussong's ::: The Best Cantina in Baja :::....

Can't help with the campground we didn't take the RV, stayed in a cabana, can't remember the name.

My most stringent warning - beware of fish tacos from street vendors
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, travel