Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

EPDM rubber roof - When to replace?

I know the obvious is when it leaks, but ours is not leaking yet, but the trailer is a 2002 and original roof that doesn't look like it's been taken care of from the grey color. So, I am curious if there are ways to tell or if there is a certain age that most get replaced at? I have done a search on this site and others and only can find "how to replace", but not too much on why. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
dmstepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Hey DM, We had a 98 Fleetwood. the grey color started to come off and it looked black. We had white run off the top when it rained. I also started to see small tears that looked like razor cuts. I probably let it go to long. I redid it with the Rapid Roof system and it wasn't to hard. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
rapid roof system more info thanks
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I don't think there is a magic number. The EPDM roof on our 2004 5th wheel had a 12 year guarantee so I figure it'd last at least that long. After that, it depends on how it was maintained and whether the unit was stored inside or outside.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I read online if you take a flashlight and put behind and if it is quite bright, the rubber has deteriorated (weathered thin) to need replacing. How would you do this test?? Watched a few videos on replacing the EPDM and it does not look difficult, just a bit of sweat equity and dry cool weather.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #6

A well taken care of rubber roof should never have to be replaced for the life of the coach. It sounds like yours is just in need of a touchup.

This should give you an idea of what required as to determine if its something you want to tackle your self.
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
The EPDM roof is very similar to those used on building roofs. It has about a 20 year life. The link below summarizes the reroof that we did. The flashlight test I did was from the old roof material we took off the roof. I know of no way to do this test without removing a section of the material, commonly referred to as destructive testing. Age & leaks are your best indicators to determine if a reroof is needed.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, "when it leaks" has little to do with it, since leaks are nearly always at seams and openings and not the fault of the membrane itself.

Basically, the membrane is fine as long as you cannot see the weave of the backing material. If there is still a rubber coating, it's ok. But if you can see the backing, which is usually a black woven material, it's time to replace or re-coat.

Age-wise, both Dicor and Alpha warranty that membrane for 10 years and a typical life expectancy probably double that. Maybe just 15 years with no care at all, but many have hit 25 years or more. An occasional washing helps.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

Thanks Gary, that's good news to my ears and pocketbook as I do not see any backing weave, just dull grey grime. So when the snow goes and weather warms I think the roof will get it's first good scrubbing and a coat of sealant!
Old 02-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #10

dicor makes an excellent treatment. it is labor intensive but end results the roof will look like new
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Give this site a look see RVRoof.com. Saw a sample at the Tampa RV show and it looked quite impressive. Don't how much weight it may add to the RV or the cost but it has a lifetime guarantee. It didn't appear that much if anything could penetrate it. Good luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, roof