Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #15

Our first BIG trip we broke down 1100 miles from home 10 days into our trip. Engine computer died and Ford said nowhere to be found. We rented a car and drove home, leaving our baby. I found one with work and had it sent to the dealer. We drove back and continued our trip another 2 weeks. Hang in there! Fun will come soon enough and you'll remember it for years.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
If you haven’t yet solved the solenoid clicking problem you might open up the house battery compartment and just move wires around and see if the clicking occurs. That’s how I found out that the battery isolator wire from the BIRD device to a solenoid deep in the compartment was never tightened. It was causing intermittent charging problems and occasionally I would hear the solenoid click for no reason. Just tightened up the 5/16 nut and all was fine now.

Would that clicking you are speaking of happen more in the engine area or back where I'm referring to? We have decided to not use the gennie on the trip and just hook up. No boondocking on this trip! Thank you for the suggestion, we will check it out.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Our first BIG trip we broke down 1100 miles from home 10 days into our trip. Engine computer died and Ford said nowhere to be found. We rented a car and drove home, leaving our baby. I found one with work and had it sent to the dealer. We drove back and continued our trip another 2 weeks. Hang in there! Fun will come soon enough and you'll remember it for years.

WOW, that is a total bummer with a happy ending. I was wondering what we would do if Finn broke down and we couldn't get it fixed for a while. Towing is CRAZY expensive!
Old 06-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #18

We are currently on our way home from a pretty decent but a little stressful trip. Currently in Mo. and will stop in Ill. and make it home to Mi on Sunday. No A/C is a stinker. Can't use the coaches A/C with no gennie and the upfront AC isn't worth much. So in another sweatbox but at least we are all together and attached this time! I will post trip pics in another thread somewhere. Thanks again for everyone help and advice. THANKS FRIENDS!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #19

While I feel badly for you and your misfortune and I do not want to add to your problems but I have to say that this seems to me to be preventable in large measure.

Mostly I feel like others here that you need to get to know your vehicle much better. And it would have been preferable to do so before leaving on an "Epic" trip.

In 2007 I sailed my 42ft sailboat across the Pacific. I was dis-masted halfway to Hawaii. We had just come through a very big storm with 14 foot waves and 50MPH winds. The next day sailing in a brisk breeze with choppy seas left over from the storm a faulty part gave way on my backstay bringing down half of my 50 foot mast and dumping all the fore sails and rigging into the ocean. It was THE ONLY part I allowed a professional rigger to install. But as captain I was the sole responsible person for the lives of my crew and my boat.

While my insurance company covered the damage and eventually sued the New Zealand maker of the part It was me that had to deal with all of the work and problems of getting my boat to Hawaii with half a mast.

The moral of this story is this: ultimately you are responsible and the only one you can really rely on. Make sure you understand your vehicle and know it's strengths and weaknesses. You are responsible for the lives in your care. Be sure you are ready (or as ready as possible) before you leave.

Good luck to you and I hope the rest of your trip goes much smoother. If it was me I would camp somewhere and take two days to really acquaint myself with all of the systems.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Agreed, just relax and don't rush anything. Stuff happens.

First thing that popped into my mind was this old movie I haven't seen since I was a little kid.

That was a good one, and probably fairly representative. Too bad they didn't include in the clips the part abut getting around the curve in the mountains.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote