Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2022, 02:08 PM   #1

Error code 36 on Onan 5500 gas generator

Hi all....I have found many posts regarding the dreaded 36 error code as well as there being multiple reasons for the code. In my particular case, the coach is brand new. Picked up from dealer 3 days ago. Generator was working fine there during PDI. Now it fires up and immediately shuts down. Being that it is new I am leaning towards it being a vapor lock rather than faulty pump. It is hot here in Central Florida. If that is the case, is there a remedy? I have not checked fuel filter, again because it was running fine during the entire PDI. I did remove some oil as it was seriously over filled. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2022, 08:50 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good luck!

I don't have any solutions for you for that particular error code. But I'll share my very recent experience.

I too have a brand new 5500 gas generator. It ran fine for about three weeks. Then we tried to use it on a driving day and it wouldn't start. I eventually figured out how to get the error code. Our code was 52 - related to a bad injector.

The biggest issue of all was that this was brand new and I wanted it covered under warranty. But we are full time and were travelling south from Illinois, through Georgia, ultimately ending up at family in Fl, spending weeks along the way. I found a mobile tech that would work on it, but not for warranty. I tried calling Onan themselves to try to get a warranty part replacement as I was able to verify the problem with the mobile tech based on the troubleshooting I did. But after about 10 various phone calls and transfers with various Onan departments, all giving me the run around about needing to be seen by an authorized service department, I gave up. I called a head to a Pensacola RV dealer that is an Onan Authorized service dept and gave them the story and they said that if I send over the serial number and all they would help me out, and they could order the part and I could stop by and have it changed out one afternoon without leaving the rig. Sounded great... but... once we made it down to FL I hadn't heard about the part, or what day I might be able to stop in, and eventually after several phone calls determined that they too got the run around with Onan and I would have to take the rig in twice, once to get it diagnosed, and once to get it fixed - this no longer fit in my travel schedule.

For me - this was a $150 part. It would have cost me half of that in gas just going to the two service appointments.

I ultimately just bought the part myself form Onan (they will gladly sell it to you) and didn't bother with the warranty and changed it out myself. Its back to running as normal.

So - good luck with Onan! If you plan to try to get it through warranty, just go ahead and find the authorized dealer and get something scheduled because that's the only way they will cover it.
SavageNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #3

I had a similar code 36 issue on my brand new 2020 Vista which I bought in July 2021. First trip out in 95 degree weather the 5500 generator would run for a while then die. Turned around and went home. Got it in to an Onan shop the next day and they replaced the carburetor under warranty. I figure the problem was how long the unit sat in the dealers lot with gas in it from when it was shipped from Winnebago in Jan. 2020 until I bought it in July 2021.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:02 AM   #4

If it was older and out of warranty, I would be trying some of the options found in other posts.

Seeing how it is new(12 hrs on gen), under warranty and it was running fine for an hour at the dealer for inspection, I should not be trying to troubleshoot myself. I have an appointment at Cummins service center in 3 wks. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:57 AM   #5

How much gas is in your fuel tank?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageNomads View Post
I don't have any solutions for you for that particular error code. But I'll share my very recent experience.

I too have a brand new 5500 gas generator. It ran fine for about three weeks. Then we tried to use it on a driving day and it wouldn't start. I eventually figured out how to get the error code. Our code was 52 - related to a bad injector.

The biggest issue of all was that this was brand new and I wanted it covered under warranty. But we are full time and were travelling south from Illinois, through Georgia, ultimately ending up at family in Fl, spending weeks along the way. I found a mobile tech that would work on it, but not for warranty. I tried calling Onan themselves to try to get a warranty part replacement as I was able to verify the problem with the mobile tech based on the troubleshooting I did. But after about 10 various phone calls and transfers with various Onan departments, all giving me the run around about needing to be seen by an authorized service department, I gave up. I called a head to a Pensacola RV dealer that is an Onan Authorized service dept and gave them the story and they said that if I send over the serial number and all they would help me out, and they could order the part and I could stop by and have it changed out one afternoon without leaving the rig. Sounded great... but... once we made it down to FL I hadn't heard about the part, or what day I might be able to stop in, and eventually after several phone calls determined that they too got the run around with Onan and I would have to take the rig in twice, once to get it diagnosed, and once to get it fixed - this no longer fit in my travel schedule.

For me - this was a $150 part. It would have cost me half of that in gas just going to the two service appointments.

I ultimately just bought the part myself form Onan (they will gladly sell it to you) and didn't bother with the warranty and changed it out myself. Its back to running as normal.

So - good luck with Onan! If you plan to try to get it through warranty, just go ahead and find the authorized dealer and get something scheduled because that's the only way they will cover it.
UPDATE: I just heard back from Onan and they are going to do a one-time reimbursement for my repair. They said the preferred method in this case would have been to bring the defective part to a distributor to swap out. Not sure if that would have really worked that easy, but at least they are covering this.
SavageNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagenomads View Post
update: I just heard back from onan and they are going to do a one-time reimbursement for my repair. They said the preferred method in this case would have been to bring the defective part to a distributor to swap out. Not sure if that would have really worked that easy, but at least they are covering this.
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
rd36mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:42 AM   #8

3/4 tank
Old 06-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #9

This may be old news. I've found out that Cummins has a Customer Engineering Bulleting dated April 20, 2017 that identifies a hot air re-circulating problem that can cause the genny to shut down and throw a "36" code.

Generator Set models included: HGJAA, HGJAB, HGJBB, KY

To summarize, they recommend installing a hot air discharge duct that redirects air away from the cool air intake. There are a number of these ducts available depending on where the genny is installed.

Look up document MC-10154771-9999 for details.

One example of a duct is here: https://www.coloradostandby.com/cumm...ight-026-00522
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:32 AM   #10

I did end up taking to Cummins dealer. Changed carb, same problem. Finally admitted it was a heat related problem, with nothing they could do. Turns out my love of RVing was outweighed by all the other inherent issues that come along with it. Months to get reservations, way too many rude and inconsiderate campers, and on and on. I was warned. Problem solved, I sold everything and got out. No regrets.

Tags
gas, generator, onan