Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Just a reminder

Do you think the name on the side had anything to do with it?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
After thinking about my test experience for a while and remembering how difficult it was to try to get my feet on the steps of the ladder, I think I will modify my plan of escape!

I definitely will use the prop stick to hold the window up out of the way. That window is heavy and I don't want to be fighting it while trying to get out! The double notches in each end of the stick will make it really fast to use.

The top part of the ladder that hangs over the window will be great for holding onto while exiting the window. I think I will just use that to drop to the ground and not deploy the ladder steps. Since our window is only 7' above the ground it will be a very short drop while hanging from the top support of the ladder.

Hindsight is 20/20!

Joe, check out the escape ladder setup that I hooked up on my rig last year , the thread name is In case of fire... in class a motorhome discussions, date of post and pics is 06-01-2015 and 06-02-2015. I set it up every time,I consider it part of my setup and breakdown,it works well,I am not a big guy,but have 2 new knees,and a pretty worn and beat up body,and can exit quickly, after helping the wife out. we practice our escape at least a couple times a year.I hope you can find the pics as it is a affordable ladder setup.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe,

To add to yesterday's post, Mac the fire guy now sells these telescoping ladders on his web site (maybe he saw my pics), only difference is,he tells everyone to store the ladder inside,prop the window,then hold the top rung of ladder and let rest of ladder fall to ground, not too smart.I found that the ladder falls over very easily,if not attached at top, oh, and mac the fire guy sells the same exact ladder that I bought at home depot,only 4 times the price, (I checked weight specs,and brand,and they are the same ladders).I experimented with many ladders last year before finding this setup that in real life, in a real emergency will work, as long as you set it up every time you set up camp. My escape window is above our pillows,so exit can be quick,even without my eye glasses on,(tried that too).
I acknowledge that it's not the prettiest ,but it's practical, and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 06-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have a ladder and will use it if there's time. If not we'll just bail out the window. It's not one or the other.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
Joe, check out the escape ladder setup that I hooked up on my rig last year , the thread name is In case of fire... in class a motorhome discussions, date of post and pics is 06-01-2015 and 06-02-2015. I set it up every time,I consider it part of my setup and breakdown,it works well,I am not a big guy,but have 2 new knees,and a pretty worn and beat up body,and can exit quickly, after helping the wife out. we practice our escape at least a couple times a year.I hope you can find the pics as it is a affordable ladder setup.

Rick, I couldn't find it. Can you give us a link?
Old 06-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe,

I really don't know how to do this link thing, only way I know is to click on my avatar,go to posts by me and go to page 6,it's on there. Funny, I can fix or build almost anything on the rv or any vehicle but this computer stuff still baffles the s--- out of me. hope this helps.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 06-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Watch the video

It is only one way, but it's pretty simple.
I watched the video,I wonder why mac the fire guy does not go out the window, instead he has a fit ,younger woman go out,after she fumbles around trying to put the blanket on the window sill in the proper orientation. He also mentions putting a picnic table under the window to help escape,weak plan,only slightly helpfull to anyone older or heavier

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 06-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe,
I found the attatchment pics,how do I link them to this thread?

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 06-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Joe,
I found the attatchment pics,how do I link them to this thread?

I found them. Thanks anyway!
Old 06-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #38

Commercial Member

Quote:
I watched the video,I wonder why mac the fire guy does not go out the window, instead he has a fit ,younger woman go out,after she fumbles around trying to put the blanket on the window sill in the proper orientation. He also mentions putting a picnic table under the window to help escape,weak plan,only slightly helpfull to anyone older or heavier
I have attended Mac The Fire Guy's Fire Safety seminars twice. and strongly recommend everyone should attend at least once if you have the opportunity.

Joe definitely gets extra points for making an effort to learn how to save lives.

RE picnic table. It is only a suggestion. BUT if you are going to practice it can make the practice effort less likely to end in injury. Given the choice of broken leg or being toast, I will break my leg every time.

RE Test your window. First time I tried it took 1/2 hour of work using a putty knife ans soapy water to get the gasket un-stuck. Don't break the expensive window when doing a practice.

Blanket tip is definite plus.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
At the 419MS rally, several people stored their lower roof ladder under the bed for the same reason. We moved ours there after a "dry" run. I am going to make the prop as well. Great idea!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #40

Escape Window Replacement

Has anyone ever removed the small window and replaced with a taller window? Can this be done? With the window I have now in the bedroom we would have to go out head first and the long drop would probably break our necks. With a taller window we could sit and place the legs out first and then jump possibly only suffering a broken leg(s). Much better scenario than surviving fire but being paralyzed. Ex firefighter here, a burning travel trailer, you will have at most 5 minutes before whole unit is consumed in flames.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #41

We have only had to evacuate our motorhome once. Many years ago some wiring in the overhead cabinets shorted. With the family out the small extinguisher we had on board put it out. I shudder to think what we would do today with three in wheelchairs ranging from 30 to 175 pounds. The 175-pounder sleeps in the rear bedroom and the other two in the front living area. it would be hard to get all three out the front and down the five steps, much less move them a safe distance from a burning motorhome. There is no way my wife or I could get out through the "emergency window", and of course we would never leave the kids. We now rely on two smoke detectors and the propane and CO detectors. We try to practice fire safety to minimize the danger. Short of selling the motorhome and traveling by car, I see no better solution.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
This post has got me thinking about our own situation. I'm thinking a knotted rope might be a better option here. Given our setup, I'm thinking of anchoring a rope to the floor under the bed. In an emergency, lift the bed (it's on gas struts), grab the rope, toss out the window. The rope would give me a hand hold while "bellying" out the window.

I'm also thinking of adding a couple of handholds to the cabinet above the window. The handholds would be close to the wall to reduce the cantilever effect on the cabinet itself. I suspect the cabinet will dislodge but I only need it to work "once".