Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I Used Eternabond to seal the roof seams on my 2000 DS. Removed what I could of the old seam seal and then cleaned it and put on the Eternabond tape. No additional sealer added. I had no problems with leaks from that point forward. it was still holding when I sold it. Etenabond is great. When I said we never had any leaks that included numerous trips into the mountains during the winter where we had up to 1-2 feet of snow sitting on the roof for multiple days. I love Ethernabond and will use it on our new coach next time I need to seal any roof seams.
wengayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
If it's such great stuff then why the need to seal it with dicor? Might just as well glue a piece of rubber down with dicor, save some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
That is kind of what I thought too. Isn't the tape supposed to be able to seal it's own edges without the aid of yet another product?
If the surface has been properly cleaned (and primed in some cases) and the tape properly rolled down, the edges will usually stay down just fine (all problems with Eternabond can be attributed to improper surface prep and/or improper installation). However, the adhesive in Eternabond stays soft for a long time and, with effort, can be peeled away although it will leave a thin layer behind. That softness is what allows it to flex without breaking the bond or cracking. If an edge, such as the leading edge of the front and rear seams of an RV, is broadside to the slipstream while on the road, that wind may start to lift the edge of the Eternabond over time. A small bead of sealer directs the air smoothly over the edge to avoid the potential lifting issue. I would suggest a UV resistant marine sealer over that edge rather than Dicor, though. It would look better and last longer.

For edges other than the leading one at the front and rear seams of an RV, putting thin bead of a sealer (not the big glops normally associated with Dicor or other self leveling sealers) along the edge of Eternabond tape is more cosmetic than anything else. Again, the same marine sealer will last longer and look better than Dicor.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #17

I have used Eternabond on two MH over a period of ten years, and never had a failure.
I cleaned all seams / joints as best I could of the old caulking and sealants. I then used a good solvent based cleaner and applied the Eternabond tape. I have never had a failure or lift up at the edge of the tape.
Just be sure you are using the brand name, Eternabond and not a knock off brand.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #18

I used acetone to clean the area before I put down the eternabond and it stick very well, no leaks.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
3M weather sealing tape is 4411 and 4412
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
If it's such great stuff then why the need to seal it with dicor? Might just as well glue a piece of rubber down with dicor, save some money.

Just scraped the old dicor of the edges of the factory installed 2 inch eternabond tape used on both end caps. The dicor does not hold to the top tape of the eternabond over time. Eternabond sells sealant/caulk used to seal the edges of their tape. It's recommended by eternabond and helps the leading edge of the tape that is subject to 70 MPH winds while driving down the highway. It dries hard and sticks to the plastic tape side of the tape.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Just scraped the old dicor of the edges of the factory installed 2 inch eternabond tape used on both end caps. The dicor does not hold to the top tape of the eternabond over time. Eternabond sells sealant/caulk used to seal the edges of their tape. It's recommended by eternabond and helps the leading edge of the tape that is subject to 70 MPH winds while driving down the highway. It dries hard and sticks to the plastic tape side of the tape.
Linky Linky please to that Eternabond edge sealant?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the responses - excellent information.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Linky Linky please to that Eternabond edge sealant?
It's called EternaCaulk -- works VERY well. Here's my Eternabond roof repair.

BTW, when you apply Eternabond tape, do NOT stretch it, just lay it down.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:25 PM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
3M 5200 sealant is excellent—it sticks like it welded on—but it isn't UV resistant. 3M 4200UV is UV resistant. It's not as ferocious as 5200 but it will last longer in direct sunlight. 3m 5200 is intended to be used as a bedding agent rather than an exposed caulk although it's adhesive properties are incredible.

An alternative is to use Eternabond Web Seal with 3m 5200 then coat it with a liquid roof coating (Erternabond sells one). Web Seal is more flexible than regular Eternabond tape, making it ideal for irregular surfaces, and, unlike regular Eternabond, can be coated. In fact, since it is not UV resistant, it has to be coated after application.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It is best to have a smooth,clean surface for the tape. If the old caulk is loose, full of dirty cracks, or just plain bumpy, I would try to remove as much as practical. A powered oscillating blade is the easiest tool. Harbor Freight has them for as little as $20.
Gary RVRoamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
Gary, did you use the 1/2 Round blade on tool?
Topwater
I used a Harbor Freight oscillating tool with a scraper blade attached:
2 in. High Carbon Steel Multi-Tool Rigid Scraper Blade
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
It's called EternaCaulk -- works VERY well. Here's my Eternabond roof repair.

BTW, when you apply Eternabond tape, do NOT stretch it, just lay it down.

I used the 8 inch tape to cover the 2 inch Eternabond tape used by the factory. Also used the clear EternaCaulk. Original 2 inch tape was painted and installed poorly which caused a leak. If installing wide tape I'd suggest getting a helper so the tape doesn't contact the wrong surface or itself. If this happens it may be best to just cover it with more tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	etrnabond repair.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	101691  
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
That is kind of what I thought too. Isn't the tape supposed to be able to seal it's own edges without the aid of yet another product?
It will if a wooden pastry roller is used to roll it tight to the roof, and the surface was properly prepared per Eternabond instructions. Trouble is, most get lazy applying Eternabond taps and take short-cuts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It will if a wooden pastry roller is used to roll it tight to the roof, and the surface was properly prepared per Eternabond instructions. Trouble is, most get lazy applying Eternabond taps and take short-cuts.
Ray,IN

Carefully/faithfully following ALL of the "Etrnabond prep and application instructions" will make the application of Eternabond "eternal".
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond