Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Eternabond rubber seal tape

Previous owner used Eternabond Rubber Seal tape on the seams and lap sealant in the corners and around vents.. I want to reseal the roof, especially since the lap sealant in the back left corner leaked today!

My question is - should I remove the old 4 inch tape first, the lay down new 4 inch tape, or leave it there and apply 6 inch tape over it?

Any other tips appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C013CC8A-E2A9-492E-8DF4-AD7AD8C6896B.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	215707  
PIGRIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I would remove and properly prepare the surface for new tape. This includes making sure the caulk seam underneath is intact. Would recommend using Eternabond cleaner and primer.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #3

Thanks! I just wondered whether it was necessary to remove the old tape. I’ve never worked with it, so I don’t know what to expect as far as how hard it is to remove. Would I need a heat gun?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Heat gun may help. You may find that it comes right off if proper preparation was not done when installed. I had sections fail where a PO installed without preparing and it came off pretty easy without heat and had large sections where water had gotten under tape. In these cases I removed the tape cleaned and caulked the seams then installed the new tape after cleaning and priming.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #5

Do you have an idea how many years has the tape been in use? What does the failure look like? I am curious how it failed.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Do you have an idea how many years has the tape been in use? What does the failure look like? I am curious how it failed.
The place where it failed is not necessarily due to the tape. It is where a pool of the lap sealant located on the back left corner seam dried and started to peel up just a tiny bit.

I do not know the age of the tape that is there. I believe the fact it is parked on a slight incline caused the water to pool at the rear and sit right on that seam.

The question I have now is - assuming I remove the old tape, what is used for caulking the seams? Non-leveling Dicor?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I use Dicor on all the roof joints. If it is flat then self-leveling, horizontal then non-leveling.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

I used laquer thinner, knife blades and scrapers to clean the old sealant off my slide tops. It helps break down adheisive and other dirt and oils. I used it during the scraping phase as well as the final cleaning. Removing my original sealant went easy. I dont know what they used on the slide roof lap joints on a Country Coach in 2004.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #9

The tape that is there is black on the bottom, then has a foil layer, then a white top layer that is crumbly. I am assuming that means the tape is old. The rig is a 2003 model. I found one of the owners who had it the longest and he didn’t use any tape, so I’m guessing it to be 7-8 years old.

So I don’t know if it’s Eternabond or some off brand. Question is, couldn’t I just clean it up real good and apply a wider Eternabond tape right on top of the old tape?

Either way, I already resealed the 4 corners with lap sealant, right on top of the old tape. could I just lay the new tape right up to the edge of those pools of sealant, then add a new layer of sealant to join the two? Or do I have to now remove the sealant I just put down so that I can remove the old tape under it?

Hope I’m making sense. I wanted to do the whole roof at once but to remedy a leak, I resealed the 4 corners ahead of removing old tape or just putting new tape over old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #10

As previously replied, remove old tape first. The Eternabond video library will be helpful. Most of the time, complaints about Eterabond problems can be traced back to not following instructions exactly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #11

+1 Remove the old tape and any caulk under it first. Do it right once.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #12

The quality and longevity of your repair will depend on the preparation and quality of what you stick the tape to.

If the current tape was there during a leak, and you tape over it, it is a patch, not a repair.

If the current tape was there during a leak, and you caulked over it, how do you know how much of that old 4 inch tape is still bonded? Perhaps water got under a portion of the 4 inch tape, and you will be patching a 6 inch tape over a potentially lifted 4 inch void...

I agree with others who have said that the better repair would be to remove the old tape, and do it correctly, and bond the entire 6 inches to a prepared surface.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, seal