Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #1

Question Etiquette (A kids view)

While we are in lockdown here at home, I was going through YouTube channels of camp reviews and the kids had a great idea to make a list of things to know when camping.

I know there are scattered portions of the forum that make up some of this list but younger eyes that can see thought it would be very important to share what they came up with. I'm pretty proud that my harping on them when we're camping has sunk in.

Feel free to agree/disagree/add to the list. I've kinda made it a homework-while-on-Spring-Break project... shh...

In no particular order:
1. Take what you bring in – leave the site better than when you found it. Leave no trace, just footprints
2. Put fire out when necessary – when leaving the site, when not cooking, before bed
3. Clean up after pets – don’t allow them to do business on someone else’s site
4. Never cut through a neighboring site, take the extra steps to go around. Unless site is unoccupied, then use if absolutely necessary
5. No washing dishes in the bathrooms. Unsanitary and space consuming where others want to shower/wash face/wash hands
6. Respect quiet hours – usually from 10p to 7a. Pay attention to when the house rules request quiet hours.
7. No driving truck after dark unless emergency, bikes off the road a little after sunset.
8. Put everything back as it was when arriving. Make the site inviting for the next occupants.
9. Do not use firepit as a trash can. Burn only paper as needed. Other items should be put in refuse
10. Keep site tidy and be a good neighbor. Bikes picked up, trash or other items that can blow around need to be picked up and/or secured
11. Golden Rule – keep communication open and exhibit help to others
12. Awning lights are good until a little after dusk – not all night long.
13. Common sense isn’t all that common any longer. It may be apparent to you but probably not to someone else. Put yourself if their shoes before reacting.
14. Dragging chains – NO NO NO.
15. Get to know neighbors – not just a personal getaway but a time to connect with others recreationally
16. Use local firewood. Keep pests local and helps the people when buying it
17. Leave extra kindling/wood behind if not using at the next stop. Gets the next person a leg up on getting settled.
18. Don’t feed the wildlife. Animals grow dependent on handouts and suffer when there is no source later on. Our food may also not sit well to be digested - do you want to smell a skunk fart?
19. Be aware of noise level from our site and the music. Ask neighbors if music volume is bothersome. They might ask for a song request!

Your thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Your children make good campers! Congratulations to them!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

All are a good points to remember and practice...Thanks for the reminder!
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

I would sure like to be in the site next to your children.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #5

How about,

Electric cords are not used for jump ropes, especially when they are stretched from the power pole to the camper!!! (iiiikes!) (Had that actually happen once with kids from the neighboring campsite.

Don't pull the valves on other campers! (never had that happen either, but a neighbor camper did once).

Don't raid other campers coolers at night (although when I was a kid with my parents in their seasonal campground .... 1964 ish ... us boys in the campground did). We always wanted to get beer!s

If using a modern bathroom, don't leave the water faucets running when you run out of the bath house.

Stay away from black cats that have white stripes!... ALWAYS!

Don't approach anyone's dog without their master right beside them. (This is the absolute hardest one for my 6 year old grandson to do. He wants to pet EVERY dog he sees!)

Just because you are mad at your brother, you cannot chase him into the boy's bathroom, because you are a GIRL!
Old 04-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #6

# 17 gave me a chuckle.

I have seen folks cruising CGs on the hunt for leftover firewood.

As soon as someone pulls out, they head over to claim the spoils.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
# 17 gave me a chuckle.

I have seen folks cruising CGs on the hunt for leftover firewood.

As soon as someone pulls out, they head over to claim the spoils.
I do that all the time. I consider it helping them to clean the site.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We were camping when our daughters were still in playpens. They're both adults now with their own kids. Both have 40' fifth wheels and follow all the rules above. They're teaching the grandkids the same rules and we can say, that we imparted camping etiquette to another generation and they're kids will hopefully continue to follow the camping etiquette.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
All great points..

We have seen park staff picking up left behind firewood, so now we just give our leftover to other campers that are staying longer. Usually a family with kids that have been burning a fire.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:34 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your kids deserve a round of applause for being thoughtful, kind and conscientious campers. That's a great list, and it's clear that they have definitely absorbed the lessons you've worked hard to impart. Thanks to all of you - I would be delighted to have your family as my campground neighbors any time!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #11

"Skunk farts", my favorite
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote