Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

Ever encounter a low bridge under 14ft

I'm assuming 14ft high is the lowest bridge a class a could make it under. .

Anyone ever encounter a low bridge that you couldn't pass...?
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not in either motorhomes we have had. Many many years ago, when I hauled tall stuff, you could find the low clearance bridges in most atlases. These days, there are apps and GPS for low bridges.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
I'm assuming 14ft high is the lowest bridge a class a could make it under. .

Anyone ever encounter a low bridge that you couldn't pass...?
Best answer I have is measure the height of your RV then add 6" just for comfort...
And yes I have seen many bridges/overpasses under 14', but most were on secondary roads or in small towns, and mostly well marked before you get to them..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The NE is has hundreds less than 14'. PennDot, for example, builds them to 13"6", the maximum height allowed by the Vehicle Code for trucks. Then a couple years later they resurface with 2" of asphalt to the underpass, but don't change the signs on the bridges!

It a public service to wipe the snow off the tops of the trucks.
Cornbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw quite a few in Eastern States. One was marked 12'6" (no advance warning) and I had to make a decision, unhook, try to turn around, go back a long ways to avoid it. I decided to proceed slowly and listen for my CB antenna to make contact as it is the highest thing on the MH and it is right in front. I made it thru without a problem so the height marked was incorrect. Other low ones (10'6" and a couple of 11' s) I was able to turn around before getting to them.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Then there's this one...

Cornbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

I ran across one in Crawfordville, Ga. There is a Ga State Park there and there are RR trestles that even my short MH wouldn't fit under. Thankfully, the one I encountered I was able to divert around.

Then I saw this in Atlanta. Not in the MH that time thank goodness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180406_172005.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	200795  
Old 04-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
GBB

Encountered one, Somewheres around Boerne Tx, couple years ago. An old railroad crossing on a secondary road, no signage warning about it too late to stop. It read 11'8" i'm 11'6""...just ducked when I went under...now I pay attention! Take the truck route.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Oh yes....My last coach was 11'8 inches tall. All car traffic was being detoured off the interstate due to a accident. The officer asked me how tall my coach was and I responded 11'8 and he said "you will make it go ahead and follow the cars". I came to an old abandoned railroad bridge overpass with a sign indicating 12' 6" foot clearance. The road dipped down to a low point just under the bridge and then rose up sharply afterwards. We were doing fine going down the road until the front end started to raise up. Then all He(double toothpicks) broke loose. The last girder on the bridge had a piece of rebar dangling down slightly from a previous impact and that rebar hit and damaged the rear air conditioner demolishing the shroud. The noise was horrendous. No not the air conditioner being demolished, but the noise from the person occupying the right hand seat screaming!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

most bridges I have seen have markers on bridge if less than 13.6. I'm 13'1" in my rig
Old 04-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

I've often thought of installing a camera on top of one of the A/C's just for those close overheads.

If you ever go to James Island County Park near Charleston, SC you know what the low hanging branches look like. There aren't any signs on the tree branches so you don't really know what the clearance is. My roof mounted radio antenna is about 1' higher than the A/Cs and it was banging on just about every branch. It's like a 5 mile drive thru a tunnel of trees that looks to be about 11' but I've seen some pretty tall looking rigs in the park before.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #12

I'm trying to remember where we saw the 5th wheel with both rooftop a/c's demolished.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #13

Exclamation

leaving Chicago's south side at the McCormick Place marshalling yard for an overnight, we headed north on n Lakeshore dr, which turns into W Hollywood dr, and suddenly came upon an overpass, 12' listed on the sign, AFTER we had already come thru the only intersection we could have turned at, had traffic in all lanes around us, and nowhere to 'run'!

Dumped the air bags, and took a chance... we 'barely' made it!
(now, to be truthful, our coach is only 11'9" at it's highest point when in travel mode, anyway...but, you get the picture. Also, while I say I 'dumped the air bags', what I later learned is that 'dumping the bags' ONLY works when you are NOT in gear! and then only for the moment you are not yet IN gear).... but, we made it. Lowest one we've ever seen... Here you go...try it sometime : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (716).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	200804  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #14

Not an underpass but several tunnels. If you ever go to the Black Hills of South Dakota and are near Custer State Park or Mt Rushmore do not take Needles Highway or Iron Mt Road (Rt 16A to Mt Rushmore). Both have very narrow and low tunnels that almost every motorhome will NOT fit thru. And there is nowhere to turn around.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote