Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2021, 07:18 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
That depends on how its done. Idling engines are not a good practice nor are short light load runs. Gen runs should be an hour @ >50% loaded followed by short no load cool down. If you start a main eng best to take it for a 20-30 min ride. Treating fuel and not running better than doing it incorrectly IMO.
Ok. That’s your opinion but the engines in my opinion are going to be just fine if you bring them to normal operating temp to REMOVE accumulated moisture. If you hold them there after bringing up to temp, use common sense about shifting from park to circulate fluids and in the case of a generator, running it under load briefly, they’ll be fine.

This topic has been covered so much. There is no right answer because people think differently and whatever is done, including not running at all for extended periods of timid, engines survive.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Ever wonder if the dealer's stock of RVs with generators are diligently/religiously exercised every month per Mfrs instructions?
We have a storage lot at our local Tiffin dealer here in Northern Wisconsin and I have yet to see anyone going out in the cold weather and "exercising" the generators.
For ten years now our coach has set in storage for the six winter months without "exercising the generator and then we bring it home. The Onan Emerald III propane generator fires right up and runs without any issues.
At our lot, I ran several different test periods. I finally settled on 30 minutes under load every three months. It worked great. I use that on my 1998 pace arrow. I have had it 14 years and have used the three months for thirty minutes rule with zero carburetor or generating problems.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #45

Steve 716. I notice your location is in Georgia.
I wonder if you have different conditions than I have here in Northern Wisconsin?
Do your night time temps occasionally get to -20? Do you get about 70+ inches of snow a year? 30-40 MPH winds creating 4' to 6' high snow drifts?
Is your coach stored 30 miles away in an unheated building that doesn't have electricity?

As others have posted: Different conditions. Different treatments.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #46

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
According to my owners manual (2004 Holiday Rambler Neptune), the power distrubution system will automatically switch to the shore power when pluged in even if the genset is up & running. So it is useless to run the generator to “exercise it” becaues it will not have any load on it. Per the Onan manual, when doing the monthly exercise run you must have an electrical load on it whlie running. Usually I’ll turn both A/C units or run a vacuum cleaner, electrice space heater or somethime in combonation to draw a load for 30 minutes. Check your owners manual for instructions on how your particular power distrubution system operates.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #47

American Coach Owners Club
Our Fleetwood was wired from the factory with the Generator being the default priority and the Manuel explains it is because if you intentionally start your Generator you want it to power your RV. It also enables the generator to take over sourcing the RV if the Auto-Start kicks in when HVAC service is activated by the thermostat and you’re operating on limited amperage shore power.
Makes sense to me but you can operate it either way as long as you know how it is setup.

Tags
generator