Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
exhaust brake

Hi Folks,

I have a '03 American Eagle motor home. My first big trip will be traveling out west the month of June, from TN to Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc.

What's your opinion on using the exhaust brake? I've heard all the time, just on open roads like interstates and just in the mountains.

Your opinions is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
msg1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use mine all the time. Keep it exercised and operating properly. Enjoy the trip. We did it last year from Nashville up to Rushmore and Crazy Horse and out to Devil's Tower in Wyoming
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is on almost all the time. Sometimes turn if off in rolling hills when I want to coast.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
There have been many threads on this subject if you look it up... And just as many opinions... so I will give you mine... I don't want my motorhome exhaust brake to engage every time I let off the gas... Which is the way it works... Besides being an annoying way to drive, I believe it reduces your mpg. Some guys are going to say they "feather" the gas pedal to "fool" the brake... Doesn't make much sense to me.... I engage mine when i feel i need it... Now with that said, I'm sure I will attract a firestorm of critiscm.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Steve,

i'm with you. I only use mine when I feel I need it, and that is mostly in the mountains. However, on every trip, I'll engage it at about 40 mph coming off the interstate a couple of times to exercise it.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

Tend to have mine off when cruise control is set; unless I forget; kind of annoying to have to get on the throttle, switch off the pac-brake and re-set the cruise, with every short down hill.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

I leave it on and feather the throttle to keep it from activating when I don't want it to. I feel that having to look down for the switch to turn it on is a hazardous thing to do while exiting freeways, headed down hills, etc.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Tend to have mine off when cruise control is set; unless I forget; kind of annoying to have to get on the throttle, switch off the pac-brake and re-set the cruise, with every short down hill.
On ours the ebrake doesn't turn off the cruise when it's on and activated.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mine has been on since December of 2003 when I first purchased the coach. I never have to look or think about whether it is on or not.

I can use my Cruise Control also without having to turn off the PacBrake switch.

If on CC, I simply use the Cancel button on my Smart Wheel when approaching a downgrade to engage the PacBrake. (If you don't have a Smart Wheel simply touch the brake pedal once to cancel the CC) Once the grade has finished I touch the fuel treadle slightly to disengage the PacBrake and hit the Resume button to go back to my Set CC speed.

If I am not using the CC, and I want to coast, I simply remove all pressure from the fuel treadle but I DO NOT remove my foot entirely. If I want the PacBrake to activate I remove my foot completely form the fuel treadle.

Simple operation once you have developed your PacBrake, CC driving habits.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately, my cruise control won't work with the exhaust brake switch turned on. There is a fix for this ("Brake Switch"), but Monaco messed up somewhere on my wiring so I can't use the Brake Switch either.

Personlly, if I could, mine would be on all of the time, except in traffic. In a panic situation where you may be doing an emergency maneuver and braking, you want that exhaust brake to engage without having to think about turning on the switch.

Mine also came on the minute I turned it on. I recently paid to have Cummins connect mine to their computer program mine so that I have to step on the brake to engage and stepping on the throttle disengages it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
CD

On our PU, I have exhaust brake on all the time. Unlike some/most of you, mine is not connected to the computer or CC. I have a stick shift with the Ebrake switch on the shift stick so when I put my hand on the nob the switch is at ny finger tips. I don't like the CC so that is not a problem. I won't criticize what others do, this is just what I do. I like the idea of having it on all the time then if it is needed it will be on before I can get my foot to the brake pedal. When I was in my 30s I had the opportunity to check time from gas to brake. The best I (or anyone I knew) could do was 3/4 sec. At 60, that is about 65'. Also I have about 90K on the Pu and still have about half of the brake lining left.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On ours the ebrake doesn't turn off the cruise when it's on and activated.
F/L chassis ,at least those of my unit's vintage, activate the brake lights as a safety feature when the exhaust brake is active . So I have to resume or re-set every time I forget to turn the exhaust brake off while using cruise control in rolling hills.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
djl

Tiffin Owners Club
engine brake

Well I can tell you what we were told in Spartan training this past week... that most people over use the engine brake. Using the engine brake all the time you are more likely to glaze the brake pads. This occurs from over using the engine brake and only braking (brakes) the last 100 ft or so. Also for automatic slack adjusters to work you need to apply significant brake pressure. We are programmed that the engine brakes will save on brake jobs...truth is you will probably get 250,000 or more miles on the pads. Mountains and hills it is a no brainer but turn it off occassionally and work the brakes. Just passing the word.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree with only using the PacBrake as needed. Personally I want the coach to coast every time I take my foot off of the throttle. I do use the exhaust brake often. I am familiar with it enough not to have to look for the button. I don't have to take my eyes off of the road to do it.

Tags
brake