Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Exhaust fan

Has anyone out there ever had installed an exhaust fan to the outside of the motorhome for their convection microwave? We cook breakfast on a daily basis and that usually involves bacon. The existing oven vents back to the inside (a useless procedure IMOHO) and the result is a greasy build-up on our ceiling above the front of the oven.
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did because I didn't know about build-in kits and the convection/microwave I installed in my last motor home exhausted out the back. It got up to 200 degrees behind the unit after 40 minutes or so cooking in convection mode.

I cut a hole in the side and installed a bathroom exhaust fan. I also had to add a grill above the microwave to allow room air to come in, flow around the microwave and out.

I drilled four holes from the inside just through the luan wall panel then used a utility knife to cut through the luan. Then removed the luan so I could inspect the foam and make sure there were no wires in the foam. Prior to that I had used an electronic stud finder with an AC wire finding mode and didn't expect to find anything and I didn't.
Went ahead and used a saber saw to cut all the way through. I got a lockable vent cover from an RV store and installed that over the hole so I could lock the cover while traveling.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

Take a careful look at your literature. I would be surprised if there isn't an option to vent out the top/back/side. You would ofcourse have to provide the outside vent though.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 12-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Our convection/micro oven vents to the front of the unit into the interior. We also have an overhead power vent over the kitchen area that takes any odors up and out. After eating bacon almost every day while traveling, there is no lingering odor...but wouldn't mind if there was. There's NOTHING wrong with the smell of BACON! Besides, there's more than enough holes in the RV's exterior anyway. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've had both types of microwave venting and each has its pros and cons. But yes, it is quite possible to vent outside and probably worthwhile if you use it a lot as you do. However, you will get air in through the opening as well, contributing to heating and a/c inefficiency, and if it has a flap type closure it can rattle in the wind.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan