Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #15

I consulted Cummins Tech Support, a retired Cummins mechanic I know well, and lots of internet literature. Including the internet literature, was a great write up Banks.

I use 1200F as my artificial 'red zone'. I either gear down, or back off the pedal, to keep under 1200F. Banks write up, for EGT reported temps from in front of the turbo, indicates 1300F is what I call 'the red zone'.

The Cummins Tech Support, actually the first person asked if I would hold, as he wanted me to talk with a specific person, indicated that the 1300F was appropriate for my specific engine. And that the 1200F was for sure a safe level. On longer grades, I'll fluctuate between 1150-1250 before getting the temps back down. They fall quickly, either by higher RPM from dropping gears, and or backing off the pedal.

Again, my EGT Probe is inserted into the number 3 tube of the exhaust manifold.

And as mentioned, not engines are the same, even within the Cummins family. So what is good for me, may not be right for someone else. I believe, and this is for sure not a fact, that some of the newer engines are designed to run at higher temperatures, in relation to smog controls.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I am not quite sure where the Banks installation tech had installed their EGT sensor when I had the Banks Power Pack installed back in July of 2013.

I will attempt to take a look to see if I can find it and report back. Wherever it is that's where it should be installed. They ARE the experts.

They added both a new EGT and Boost gauge when they did the install.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Please let us all know where the experts installed the probe, pictures also would confirm any incorrect information...
Old 08-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Smitty,

That was my nickname too back when I was still a youth.

What Cummins engine do you have? It was not referenced in any of your posts on this thread.

I have a Cummins ISC-350.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #18

I have the CAPS era ISL370, bumped up to 400 by Cummins. (Almost bought your MP-8, but enough research to make just not sure enough on this era engine. Seems the Common Rail with VGT has better results.

Here is a cut part of a Banks write up:

"So the big question is, what constitutes excessive EGT? If everything is working properly, 1250º to 1300º F. is a safe turbine inlet temperature, even for sustained running, mile after mile. Above 1300º F. things can start to get edgy. Remember, excessive EGT damage is cumulative. Over 1400º F., you're usually gambling against a stacked deck and it's only a matter of time until you lose. The higher the EGT, the shorter that time will be."

Here is a link, where it talks about before or after the turbo, for the temp sensor:

Banks Power | Why EGT is Important

If you search around more, Banks, as well as other areas, have White Papers on EGT in general. (This was just one source that I was able to relocate quickly.)

What was ironic on this occurrence of me losing the probe, was I was concerned about over fueling due to the air escaping out of the problem bushing hole (Until I got it plugged temporarily.). I was worried about EGT levels, and I must have looked down at my EGT gauge 4 to 5 times, while driving from Calgary to Banff National Park. Always made me chuckle at myself, when I saw the gauge indicating 'zero' temperature!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
My Banks Power Pack Control Module is programmed to derate the engine when the EGT reaches 1300F. It has never done that since the installation and I've been to Alaska and back with the same rig, coach and trailer weighing in at 48,000 lbs. The EGT has gotten as high as 1250F and pretty much stays there. The steepest and longest grade I have ever traveled so far is climbing up to the Columbia Ice Field on the IceFields Parkway. Doesn't matter from which direction they are both steep and long.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-17-2016, 06:11 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post

Please let us all know where the experts installed the probe, pictures also would confirm any incorrect information...
Sorry this took so long but I got distracted and well then......CRS sets in......anyway here's the real scoop.

This is taken directly from the installation manual for my Banks Power Pack Kit that was installed by a Banks installation tech.

Also, here is a very informative link which is an article written by Banks entitled "Why EGT is Important".

There is one paragraph which talks about mounting the EGT before or after the turbo which should answer any questions about where to mount the EGT.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EGT.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	139161  
Old 09-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
On airplane engines, we drill a 3/16 in the exhaust pipe and install the EGT probe in the hole with a hose clamp. This is a low end Type-K thermocouple,

WESTACH EGT PROBE K WIRE 1-1/2-2 CLAMP 712-24DWK NON TSO - BAYONET TYPE from Aircraft Spruce

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote