Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #71

The ever shrinking hose

Have had 2 of them and they both blew up within a few weeks. I find coiling a 50' hose (actually 2x25') to be no real problem. Coil the hose with the pressure still on. This prevents most of the kinking. In addition, I counter coil the hose, which is a little hard to explain, but will try. Make one clockwise loop, then make a counterclockwise loop by twisting the hose in a counterclockwise direction. This gives a zero net twist to the hose and when you go to extend it, it will simply play out without having to be unwound.
naugens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #72

I was at a dump station today and they had a 25' white hose hanging on the wall. It was coiled up kind of messy, so I re-did it, and it was a real bear, trying to kink everywhere, including a pre-existing kink right by the end, and not wanting to stay in one direction when coiling.

It was nothing like the six white hoses I have, which don't act anything like that. So all white hoses are not created equal. Definitely stick to ones that say they don't kink, and as I said upthread, ones that I know are good are made by Apex.

If all I had was a hose like the one at the dump station, I'd want to replace it, too. I can't imagine trying to work with one that's 50 feet long.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
I have not tried an expandable hose and I have a question for those that use them for their RV water. They advertise that the hose will expand under water pressure. When you connect an RV, the hose is not under pressure so will it expand in length to make the connections? About how far will a 25’ hose expand in length without applying hose pressure? Thanks in advance!
islandboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #74

It expands to 25’
Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy54 View Post
I have not tried an expandable hose and I have a question for those that use them for their RV water. They advertise that the hose will expand under water pressure. When you connect an RV, the hose is not under pressure so will it expand in length to make the connections? About how far will a 25’ hose expand in length without applying hose pressure? Thanks in advance!
That is an excellent question.

I have a low-quality 50' pocket hose I got several years ago at Walgreens on clearance, and it's neon green. I had two, and one got a pinhole leak early on, but the other hasn't leaked yet. As best I can tell, it's a 1/2" hose--certainly not 5/8".

When I lay it out with no water pressure, it's about half its stated length. When I turn on the water, it expands to its stated length, by making its own back-and-forth S-curve pattern, while the start point and end point stay the same. I can then pull it to straighten out the S-curves.

I noticed that it comes with a connector at the end that has a shut-off, which I now presume is there so it can be under pressure when you first hook it up, because it needs to be under pressure to be a 50-foot hose.

I also now have a 50' Zero G, and it acts differently. It is pretty much its stated length even with no water pressure. When I turn on the water, it expands in girth but not much in length, if at all.

It is a 5/8" hose (the one that Lowe's carries), and is therefore "bigger" than the neon green one. The neon green one balls up into almost nothing when empty, while the Zero G takes up a pretty good amount of room--probably not that much less than my 1/2" regular hose if I coil the Zero G up like a regular hose, which I do because it can become tangled if you just ball it up. But it's a lot lighter than regular hoses, even though it's got a bigger diameter than my regular hoses.

So the answer could be that it depends on which hose you have, if they're still making the ones like the neon green one I have. But if it's a Zero G, it doesn't get much longer (if at all) when under pressure. Which is actually something I don't like about it, because it means it's a lot bigger in its resting state, but it seems much burlier and better made than my neon green one, and it's still a little smaller and a lot lighter than my regular hose.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #76

I found the best hose for drinking water was using a collapsible hose that forest fire firefighters use.
5/8" X 50 FT SINGLE-JACKET INDUSTRIAL & FORESTRY FIRE HOSE ASSEMBLY C/W GARDEN HOSE COUPLINGS If you can find one of these hoses in a industrial supplier of hoses they are the cats meow. Drain and roll up. Take up less space and very durable. I never had issues with this hose. You can stand on them. They are very hardy that is why forest fire fighters use them in the bush to put out fires. Better than the expandable hoses that as soon as you put water in them they expand not as rugged and holds water in them after use. if you store these collapsible hoses for any length of time yes you will get mold and who know what else in them. Where as these hoses as shown drain them roll them up you have no worries what so ever and very little space to store them. I hope this helps any one out there.
ashman155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #77

The hose quoted above can be bought in 15',25',30' and 50' lengths
ashman155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Expandable Hoses?

Zero g hoses are perhaps a little better than the cheapies as I’ve had mine for a year and it works great no issues. While it’s cover is wrinkled the poly tube inside is not. The hose shrinks to about a pencil or less opening when not under pressure , with pressure it expands out to full hose size. Water flow is the same as my old regular hose. It appears the fabric just keeps it ( the interior hose ) from expanding further like a balloon.
I hook up to the spigot , use the valve on the end to shut off flow and then turn on the spigot. The hose expands to its full size and I pull the end to the coach and hook up. Easy. I have the old white hose stuffed away just in case but have never had a issue that I’ve had to take it out . I reverse the process When it’s deflated I coil it up , very light and easy to do so , and toss it in a small bin. I’ve never had it tangle doing that. Coiling it by hand also drains the hose just like a regular hose .. just no bulk , no water standing in it , at least no more than a regular hose.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #79

Add this to my previous post.
I had 2-25' Zero -G hoses specifically for drinking water and was very pleased, so picked up 2 more for the black tank flush.
After using the original drinking water hoses daily for 3 months they started to leak at the spigot end.
I called Camping World and they said I was beyond the 90 day warranty so I called the manufacturer and they instantly offered a couple of choices for replacement or refund.
I will try the new ones and hopefully they perform well as the concept is great and so easy to work with in cold temperatures.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #80

Zero G comes with a manufactures 5 year warranty.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote