Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #29

All good stuff. I really like www.rvparkreviews for choosing a campsite
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we started rving, we started with a travel trailer. We did the rv park routine, private campground routine and the State and Federal Campground routine. We discovered we enjoyed the public parks more, the cost was right, the people for the most part out to enjoy what their state has to offer. We tired rather quickly of the parking lot atmosphere of most private campgrounds.
Encouraged by our discoveries, we bought a 26' motorhome, big enough to be comfortable, small enough to maneuver in State and Federal parks and fully self-contained. We don't "camp" at Walmart, we may spend a night at a Cracker Barrel restaurant on the way to a destination. (great meal, quiet, try it sometime on the way to somewhere else)
My advice FWIW, is to start small, see what you like and move up. A small motorhome or travel trailer you will always be able to sell, a DP, not so much. Discover your own RV preferences, then buy the RV you really want and need.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I posted in another forum it seems. Wife and I have been wanting to do this since we got hitched as it were.

Sticks and bricks, The view either 1: never changes or 2: Changes for the worse, You pay and pay and pay and it just gets worse.

(Where i lived went from a nice neighbo4rhood to an area frequented by drug dealers and all that goes with it).

RV, If I get in an area that looks .. Quetionable.. Turn key to right and put pedal to the metal and we are Outta There!!!!

We don't sovel snow in the winter, nor do we bake in our own juices in the summer. We have lots of friends and we don't pay thousands in property taxes.. What we do pay is about the same as we used to pay for gas and electric at home. in short, low cost, interesting places to visit, and no worries about the neighborhood going to the handbasket desitnation (Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
It took us the first year of rving to figure out the types of places we prefer to stay. Whenever I hear someone talking about wanting to get into RVing, I tell them to first go check out the types of places they envision staying. If what they find suits them, then by all means go forward. If not, then I just saved you a lot of money and heartache.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #33
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Rent a Class A RV once. Just go somewhere, anywhere, try to pick a spot that looks good as your end destination.

If you are anything like any of us out there, you'll be hooked! You'll have answered your own questions. Planning your next getaway will be your immediate quest whether it be a short weekend jaunt or an extended trip to some place you have never been. It's about the journey and the experience AND the people. You learn to not sweat about the short stays here and there that may not be what you are about, but with a little planning, you can take those situations out of the equation.

We also live in a resort area with lakes and mountains and have a pretty comfortable home life, however, I just need to look at the coach beside the house and I get an unbelievable urge to get in and drive away to some new experience.

I'm not retired and my family can only get away for the short stays and a few longer holidays a year, but we really enjoy it.

AND we didn't have to spend $100,000 to do it!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #34

Worried about close parking in an RV park? Try putting up with the noise in the hallway and a common wall in a motel. I prefer my own "room" in our coach. There is more of a feeling of security knowing you have windows too high to climb in, a door you know has a reinforced steel wall with a deadbolt, knowing where everything is that you might have to grab to defend yourself, and finally knowing that if you don't care for the "neighborhood" you can move on.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #35

It will be whatever you make of it! Dw and I have a small TT and we winter in the south for 90 days a year. YES we stay overnight a Walmarts if we are on the road because I don't want to drive more than 250 or 300 miles per day. State and Federal Parks and BLM and COE campgrounds are usually roomy enough. We enjoy the beaches, museums, scenic areas all over the south. Have met great people of all financial classes and don't care if they are wealthy or just getting by like us. We are free to go in whatever direction seems interesting and we do.
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #36

Really enjoying these replies and must say you all make it more and more appealing with every story. I think we're committed to taking the plunge at this point and are looking for validation that we aren't crazy or anything.

So much to learn. Going to be fun.
speedpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #37
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I've been at it for a couple of years now and my wife even tells me I'm a "Know it All"!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
Really enjoying these replies and must say you all make it more and more appealing with every story. I think we're committed to taking the plunge at this point and are looking for validation that we aren't crazy or anything.

100,000 subscribers can't be wrong (all the time) and as Shakespeare said "To RV or not to RV. What is the question?"
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #39
doc

Appalachian Campers
Like Rick, we are more travelers than resort dwellers. We pick an area of the country we have not seen, or would like to see again and start driving toward it. We both are retired from our regular jobs and can take as much time as we want or need. We drive until we get tired or see something interesting in the area we happen to be in. Overniting in truck stops or walmart is not our thing so we try to find something in the campground directory for that area. Now if there is a Cabelas around, we do like staying there and they invite you to overnite in their parking lot - there will be others there almost always.
If out destination is a place we want to explore and or spend extended time in, then we look for ratings in the directory and try one night. This gives us a chance to sleep and take a look around the area for other parks/CGs that might be a nice place to stay. These sardine can places are not acceptible and we avoid them when it is where we can.
Our best success story is the Black Hills and Custer SP. Years ago we drove through them and were impressed. A few years later we applied and were accepted as CG hosts. Have done two summers there in CSP and intend to go back. Free FHU site and not a lot of work and we can spend days wandering around the Hills exploring, see historic sited and having fun.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post
I think we're committed to taking the plunge at this point and are looking for validation that we aren't crazy or anything.

Just consider this a replacement for racing. Except now you get to stop and smell the roses.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Love your relpy !
Could not have said it better.
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #42

I may not be your "normal" RVer. I use my Motorhome for racing in the north east (my boys compete in motocross). Our weekends are much different than most but the thing that intriques me is the fact that we are self contained. No matter if its a Wal Mart parking lot, pit area, truck stop, rest area, community center, etc, We are in our self contained unit with our own bed, washroom, washer and dryer, fridge, satellite tv, etc,. When we travel we decide when we want to sleep and where. There are no set time limits and no miles that "have" to be traveled. My wife and I will also use it for must attend functions such as weddings, reunions, anniversary parties, etc, we have fun and party and just stay the night. The next morning we make a coffee and hit the road to our next destination. One statement I read here said you must use them,, I totally agree,,, if you dont use them they are not worth the investment or the work involved to maintain them. I hope I am never without a RV!!

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote