Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Extended trip food prep ?

How do most of you prepare, if you do, meals/food for extended trips? Do you freeze meals ahead of time or just stock and prepare as you go. We will have many one night stops on our trip. Thanks!
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

We are fulltimers but I do prepare certain things ahead of time. When we travel I usually make spaghetti sauce and chili, freeze in portions for 2 people. Spaghetti sauce can be used for spaghetti, ravioli's, meatball sandwiches. I don't make & freeze whole meal casseroles but I do keep a lot of staples that you could make a meal in about 30 minutes, pasta, tomato sauce, canned tomato, canned vegetables, canned beans, tortilla's, canned enchilada sauce. I freeze pulled pork or chicken. Make it easy!
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes we pack TV dinners, other times we stop/stay at Walmart and get a roasted chicken. We can also crock pot a meal on the road.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

We sometimes bring meals that we have prepared at home but most of the time we cook/bar-b-que or occasionally pick up something locally wherever we are at.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

If you'll be stopping one night at a time, preparing individual meals would be helpful but be sure to defrost them a day or two before so you can eat quickly when you're so tired.

We've also used the crockpot while traveling with generator running. We set it in the sink. A fine memory is one of traveling down the remote Alaskan Hwy. with the aroma of BBQ ribs from the crockpot.

When staying multiple days we always shopped and cooked just like in our stick home - 16 years prior.!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We do a general plan for each trip. As an example....if we are taking a three week trip, I count the number of days we'll be eating dinner. So for a three week trip, we'll be eating 20 dinners. For us, we usually eat out 2 dinners a week while camping. So 20 dinners minus 6 equals 14 dinners. Typically, our first driving day is long so we buy a premade meal. Usually, we buy a large salad or sandwiches. Now were down to 13 meals.

We have certain meals we like and will usually eat them more than once on a trip. We don't always buy fresh meat, but like to on a trip. We have the butcher package each selection as a meal for two. We may buy chicken for three dinners, so we package it as three separate meals. Two nights of pork chops, usually one rib-eye night and so on.

I figure that on most trips we pack for the nights I counted out and if we run short we go shopping or eat left overs from the previous meals. This system works well for us and helps us mentally walk through each meal and side dishes for a shopping list. Often will find some fresh fish on a trip and end up bringing home one or two of our preplanned meals.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
One of the big benefits of the moho for us is to be able to eat healthy food. We shop while on the road, and we eat just like we do while back at home. It is always a good idea to have quick meals available, and we do prepare extra meals and freeze them as needed. Just like at home, we do eat out once or twice each week, and there are so many wonderful restaurants along the way we rely on conversations from this site to help with the selection process!

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

I prepare meal size portions that can quickly be turned into dinner. I'll make a pot of chili, freeze meal size portions and serve over rice or a baked potato, break up packages of hotdogs into meal sizes and freeze, premake hamburgers & freeze, small meatloaves, soups, and so on. We're also partial to the single serving sizes of frozen fish you can find at places like Costco. I also pre-cook chicken and ribs and leave unfrozen in the frig to eat cold or quickly warmed early in the trip. Usually I just pair everything with a bagged salad to make a complete dinner, but I sometimes also just microwave baking or sweet potatoes. Basically, I aim for dinners I can pull together with the stove top and/or microwave in 15-20 minutes with minimal effort.

When we settle in for a bit, I cook just as I would at homs.
Njtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We carry the staple products, plus items that we like that are regional. It's always nice to sample the local foods. We do carry some meals, but we buy what we need at our stops.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #10

Those one night stops and trying to prepare supper after being on the road all day can be challenging. We like to have some options for meals after being out sightseeing all day too.

For the couple of weeks prior to leaving on a long trip, I make extra and freeze meals or at least the meat from a meal. I'm trying out a few new things now to see how they are after thawing.

I froze a chicken pasta casserole that held up well. I have some enchiladas that were good fresh so I expect them to be good after freezing. Seasoned pork loins cooked at the S&B and then frozen make good meals.

I freeze various "flavors" of chicken to use in salads or as a main dish. Chili is always a good & I keep a can or 2 of soup to use as a last resort. I have several frozen veggies on stand by if we've eaten the fresh stuff & of course a bag of potatoes. I intend to use the crock pot while on the road on our next long trip.

We have on occasion walked or unhooked and taken the Jeep to a restaurant or bring in supper but that doesn't happen often when we're in transit to the next destination.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Having ready to eat meals for those long days on the road are a blessing. Probably our biggest staple is Lasagna. My wife will make up a large amount and then freeze it in individual packages. Just pop it in the microwave when needed.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Great ideas, thank you. I like to cook at home but on the road I definitely don't want to spend hours making a meal. This gives me something to start a list for meals and leftovers. Thanks again.

Larry & Jeannie
2015 Itasca Sunstar 27N
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We have actually fired up the crock pot, while on the road. When we arrive at the next cg, our meal is done!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #14

We traveled west for 6 weeks. Had a lot of "stuff" in the freezer. Planned on bbq'ing etc, but found it easier, and not much more expensive, to "eat out". Wound up bringing half of the frozen stuff home. Of coarse it depends where you "camp", and if there are discount coupons in the local papers. etc. etc. And, you may actually enjoy the "preparations" process. To some, cooking is an art.. All in all, I would advise you to carry some prepared meals, and "shop" along the way. May find some unique "sales"..
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote