Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Extended Warranties

Are they worth the money? I have a 2005 unit that has only 9,722 miles so it has been sitting arounsd a while and advice?
XtraRide
Nationwide,
EasyCare,
Good Sam,
or another brand?
AlaskaJo 05 Simba
Alaskajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alaskajo,

Welcome to IRV2.

Do a search and you will find several prior topics on extended warranties. Some like them, some don't. Be sure to read the fine print to see what is covered and what maintenance has to be documented.

My personal opinion is that they aren't worth it since the warranty company will try to get out of paying making it a hassle.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

The worth of an extended service contract, IMO depends on the type of RV you own. A towable trailer does not have the complexity of a motor home, and the appliances have at least a one year warranty, a couple even have three years.Thus, an extended service contract may not be worth the cost, especially if you were to put the same monthly premium into a savings account for future repairs.
I just received two quotes for an extended service contract on a 2000 Country Coach. Good Sam was right at $2,000 a year for $1,000 deductible. The other quote was from Wholesalewarranties.com. I don't have it with me now, but I think it was under $2,000 per year, with $200 deductible. Reading the fine print of the sample contract takes a while, and plainly states what is covered and what is NOT covered. It details the procedure for contacting them prior to ANY repairs too.
IMO What you are really purchasing is an insurance policy against covered losses. Is it worth the premium? Only you can decide for your circumstances. I never purchased one for our 5er's. Owned the first one 13 years with no major expenses that would have been covered. Owned our present 5er since new in 05 with the same outcome.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

I have extended warranty policies and have hit and missed on them. My previous motorhome had a number of smaller faults and one larger one. With $100 deductible, it was a winner in under three years. My current policy with $1,000 deductible may not be as good a deal. After one year, I have complete confidence in my drivetrain. I take good care of the drivetrain and a warranty covering that may not be a good investment. With that deductible, most of the other covered systems simply don't cost that much to fix. My Aqua-heat would be an exception however. Most likely failure on that thing would be the boiler tank, but my policy does not cover "rust". I will probably cancel the policy and just accumulate a cash reserve to protect myself.(Self insure) its all about risk management. The warranty companies make a profit. It's a little like playing a slot machine, you may win in the short run.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
As Jfran mentioned, if you do a search, there is a lot of recent conversation on this topic. Several of us over the past few weeks have been talking with many of the bigger warranty companies and not sure who actually purchased one yet... if any of us... The best policies are exclusionary (items that are not covered are listed on the contract and everything else on the coach is covered) and have a consequential damage provision (where if a covered part damages a non-covered part, the non-covered part is covered and visa versa). Costs from company to another can be over $1000 different for similar coverage... In most cases you can negotiate either a better price or get some throw ins like seals and gaskets or trip interruption coverage. I found a $200 to $500 deductible to be the best for what I was looking for. With all of that said, I got to a sticking point on concesquential dmage (see the threads) with the company I thought I was ready to roll with... and am now not sure what the future holds as far as a warranty is concerned. I may just self insure for this year. I can tell you of the ones you mentioned above, Xtra Ride is supposed to be very good, but very expensive with all the above. Good Sam was also very high.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote