Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #1

Smile Extended warranty

BuyingP a four winds hurricane 2001. Only has 35,300 miles on it. Excellent condition. Should I spend the $4,100 on an extended warranty? Not sure if it is worth it. Ford v10 engines are good engines.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
Should I spend the $4,100 on an extended warranty?
NO!!!
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

Quote:
BuyingP a four winds hurricane 2001. Only has 35,300 miles on it. Excellent condition. Should I spend the $4,100 on an extended warranty? Not sure if it is worth it. Ford v10 engines are good engines.
Depends on what the warranty covers, and does not cover, and for how much longer and who it is with.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
NO!!!
Thank you!!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #5

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Depends on what the warranty covers, and does not cover, and for how much longer and who it is with.

Don
I have been looking at route 66. Don't like buying from a dealer.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
For the amount of money you are looking at you may want to consider a warranty plan that covers RV components - not just the vehicle. After a quick look at route 66 and it appears they cover the running gear of the vehicle there are a lot of other items that can go bad on any RV especially one nearing 10 years old.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #7

We are very happy with the warranty through EtraRide we got with our used coach a year ago.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Put the money in an interest bearing CD for the same length of time as the extended warranty would run. If the coach is in as good of condition as you indicate; you will come out money ahead.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

An extended warranty is repair insurance. On average, the premiums paid exceed the actual cost of repairs by a margin large enough to pay the insurers overhead and make a profit. You are better off, on average, to keep the money in the bank and pay for repairs yourself. But if the RV had a major failure or two, the insurance might be a godsend. The really high dollar items are engine, tramnsmission and refrigerator.

Personally I would not buy it for a 10 year old coach. And if I did, I would shop carefully for coverages, deductibles, etc. that suited my needs. And you can usually buy policies for much less from an independent broker rather than through a dealer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I purchased a 2003 Journey DL DP in July. The rig is VERY nice! The dealer insisted I have an extended warranty. He 'threw' it in at no cost to me - yes, I know it was embedded in the price.

Probably the best decision I ever made. It's a 24,000 mile 24 month warranty. For my $200 deductible I have done the following:
Replaced the entire basement air
Replaced the circuit board controlling the main awning
Replaced the motor on the door awning
Repaired the HWH jacks
Repaired a fridge problem where it did not cool on AC properly

Dealer cost for the warranty was about $3500. Cost for the above well over $5k.

I'm now getting some inkling there might be something wrong in the Allison transmission. At this point I'm VERY happy with the extended warranty.

It's a crap shoot. Sometimes you need them, sometimes its money thrown away. In my case - I won big!
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
For the amount of money you are looking at you may want to consider a warranty plan that covers RV components - not just the vehicle. After a quick look at route 66 and it appears they cover the running gear of the vehicle there are a lot of other items that can go bad on any RV especially one nearing 10 years old.
Had a 4 year policy with route 66 on our 94 Adventurer. (Bought MH in 2006). It covered everything from ball joints to generator rebuild to furnace repair to convertor replacement, step repair, etc.. If it is not specifically listed, it's covered and they are the easiest people to deal with. They pay the repair shop by Visa, If you go to a Route 66 dealer your deductible drops to $34 instead of $100.
Only reason I don't still have it is age of MH, they won't cover a 16 year old MH.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We decided on the Good Sam insurance that covers everything. We just pay month to month and it's piece of mind.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote