Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #1

Extended Warranty at purchase - Is it worth it?

My husband and I are purchasing a new 2021 Newmar Ventana. We are very excited to get on the road.

We've been RVing for over 5 years and have put over 60,000 miles on our coach.

Do we need to buy a 5 year extended warranty? Does anyone have experience with this and recommendations?

Thank you!
Nancy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is that an extended FACTORY warranty or an AFTERMARKET warranty?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:33 PM   #3

It's a warranty sold by the Newmar Dealership. Its called EasyCare
www.easycare.com/rv

Thank you
Old 12-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had to laugh at their English...Down almost at the bottom of their webpage they have a statement:

What Drivers you?

I'm pretty leary of extended aftermarket warranties. Don't know what to tell you on this one.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:24 PM   #5

Thank you. I agree. When I see something like that I have a hard time getting past it.

I don't like third-party warranties either. I did not realize it was not Newmar selling the warranty. Thanks for taking the time to review this.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought one with our two yr old coach. We did it because we knew this particular model had problems with one slide out sure enough, the warranty paid off twice for that issue. Now that the issue is finally fixed to our satisfaction we do not plan to renew the contract when it expires.

Buying new, I would not recommend one unless on the forums for that particular model you see many with the same exact expensive issue.

In our five years owing our present model, other than the expensive slide out repairs, nearly everything else we have had done we have paid most all or all of the bill because of deductibles or not covered items.

In short, generally not worth it, especially on a new rig. Just start a maintenance fund of whatever size per month is comfortable for you and self insure.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This subject comes up a lot on the IRV2 forum, have you searched the existing threads. Some are favorable and others not so much when it comes to an extended warranty.
Some of what I read indicate that the devil is in the details as to what is covered and what you are responsible for to be able to file a claim and get relief on a problem. Look at the exclusions, items that aren't covered, and what are your obligations in regards to maintenance to maintain coverage. In a lot of cases sticking to the required maintenance schedule is required to be covered, and keep in mind that the schedule is developed by the manufacturer to protect them from livability against warranty claims. Intervals for oil changes and service are usually very frequent.

One example in my case is the recommended service interval for the front wheel lubrication. Roadmaster recommended annual repacking of the front hubs, which would cost ~$400 at a shop. Most people don't abide by that but if you had a problem and didn't do it you may not get a warranty claim approved. Transmission is another example, most people do not abide by the recommended interval.

So it is up to an individual to decide how much risk they are willing to accept. I agree with the thought of putting money into a repair fund and using common sense for maintaining the RV.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #8

Nancy, there are a lot of strong feelings about these but before you make the decision, you need to be sure that you understand what an extended warranty is and is not. There is an article from Escapee's Magazine about them at this link, but in short an extended warranty is really a health insurance plan for the RV.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy007 View Post
My husband and I are purchasing a new 2021 Newmar Ventana. We are very excited to get on the road.

Do we need to buy a 5 year extended warranty? Does anyone have experience with this and recommendations?

Thank you!
Now on our last 2 motorhomes ,we have gotten the extended warranty contract but only on the RV portion of the Motor home.....
An a American and a Newmar.....We have found that with each,when a big dollar item goes bad it was covered and made the contract worthwhile.....
Example is the inverter went bad and that's $3500. Item plus labor....The present dealer we bought from makes the Cornerstone contract use effortless...with limited inspection and when necessary in a day or two
With the other,it was a time consuming ordeal
So ,a lot of factors go into is use....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #10

If you do, wait until your factory warranty is over. And many appliances and the vehicle itself has another year or two warranty on them. Then IF you still want a little extra coverage, ask your preferred service center what, if any, extended warranty companies they will work with. Some service centers will not deal with any extended warranty companies and some warranty companies will only deal with "authorized service centers" that you can never get an appointment at.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:40 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig! I'm not a fan of extended warranties on RV's! Dealers make HUGE profits on those. The companies leave themselves too many loopholes to get out of paying the claims.

I think that, in most cases, you will be much better off putting that same amount of money into a special bank account to be used only for repairs. I'll bet that at the end of what would have been your warranty period you will still have lots of money left in the account!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #12

Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy007 View Post

Thank you!
Someone else just posted a few hours ago how angry he is because the rear crank seal is leaking. MFG warranty just expired. Extended warranty does not cover seals and gaskets.

There are always enough "got yas" exceptions, and who can do the work restrictions to protect the profits of the extended warranty company and the sales bonus the dealer gets for selling the policy.

I am not saying you can't win the lottery, but don't count on it.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #13
PKI

We purchased an extended warranty on our new coach. It's called the Bob Tiffin makes it right plan. May or may not work out, but we thought it was worth the money. Research your plan completely before you commit. We bought a plan for the Airstream we did have and believed it helped us develop a relationship with our dealer's service department. That may not work for you, but it did for us. Good luck with the new coach.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #14

I bought a 7 year extended warranty on my previous fifth wheel that I purchased new. I was full timing then and it paid for itself. It was only a few grand back then for the whole 7 years. I went through two of the Norcold refrigerators, the big stainless double door W/icemakers, three Coleman AC units, the water heater and several other items.

The motorhome I have now, I bought used. It was two years old. I opted not to purchase the extended warranty. First of all, they wanted too much for it. Second, I'm not full timing any more. Third, I can make most repairs myself. Fourth, I still have the factory powertrain warranty.
I've bought extended warranties before on cars & trucks and never used them.

I won't say yea or nay. Sometimes extended warranties pay off big time. Most of the time they don't.
And as others have said, if you do choose to purchase, go over it well to see exactly what it will cover.