Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #1

Extended Warranty Programs

I am purchasing a 2005 DP and want to purchase a warranty to cover the big stuff like the engine Gen set Trans for the first year.
All I see in the Motorhome Mag are complaints and I’m sure there are tons but can anyone recommend one? I am leaning towards Good Sam just because of there name and no other reason. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers
Tg9656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #2

Warranties

Wholesale warranties sell different products you can chose from dont know much about good Sam. I heard xtra ride is good but haven’t had any experience with them. Lol and let us know who you chose.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Good sam will sell you an extended warranty till your RV gets to 18 yrs old. Typical cost $2000 plus a year and a $1000 deductible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg9656 View Post
I am purchasing a 2005 DP and want to purchase a warranty to cover the big stuff like the engine Gen set Trans for the first year.
All I see in the Motorhome Mag are complaints and I’m sure there are tons but can anyone recommend one? I am leaning towards Good Sam just because of there name and no other reason. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers
Good sam will sell you an extended warranty till your RV gets to 18 yrs old. Typical cost $2000 plus a year and a $1000 deductible. Lump a whole bunch of warranty items together to get the most from your policy
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #4

No personal experience with Good Sam but have heard many complaints with everything related to Good Sam and Campng World.

Whosale Warrenties i believe no longer longer sells different products and now only sells one warranty.

Had XxtraRide when I had my fifth wheel. They were ok.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum!!

Here is a link to the previous discussions of Service Contracts, which are misbranded by the Mad Men to make you think that they are something that they are not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...y=7&gws_rd=ssl

Some have had great results and many have been disappointed. The two biggest factors between the two are those who investigated what they were purchasing and then understood and followed the claims process, and those who didn't.

When looking at Motorhome Rag, how many complementary letters were posted in the complaint section?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #6

We purchased an ESC = Extended Service Contract when we bought our MH from Camping World, a 3-yr contract. During that period we had perhaps a dozen things repaired or replaced by the contract. As the richardgood said, we would wait until we could lump several items together and pay one deductible for everything. The service writer was very helpful in accomplishing that repair visit.
During that 3 yrs the purchase price of the ESC was more than recouped, for our MH.

If you decide to purchase an ESC, be sure to include the gaskets and seals rider. Without that rider, if a gasket/seal fails, which in turn causes loss of lubrication, which results in a destroyed engine, tranny, etc., that is not a covered claim because it was consequential damage resulting from a non-covered item failure.

The ESC was right for us, others have their own method of covering failed items. It's each owners decision.
Had our MH not been stored in a barn for 8 years, we may have decided to pass on the ESC.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #7

So far we have had two items repaired/replaced without any hassle whatsoever. We paid our $100 deductible and they paid the rest to the service center for parts and labor. The shop called them with the issues and repair costs and received same day authorization. So far we are happy with this coverage and fingers crossed will continue to prove its worth. We have the Platinum coverage from Compass RV which I believe is AGWS. Online reviews had us concerned about this company as many complaints but for us, so far zero issues with coverage and very happy.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
There are zillions of posts and just as many opinions about the pros/cons of Service Contracts.

I have a Gas Class A, so, it's a little different and I purchased new. So, for me, I decided to skip the Service Contract. I did get quotes and most were around $4,000 for a 5-year 60,000 mile contract.

So far, after 2-years and 20,000 miles this has paid off and been a good decision as I've had no out of warranty breakdowns.

The main reason I did not choose to get one was not because of price, it was because of the hassle-factor. When you have a SC you can't just get your RV fixed. There is a lot of time wasted working with the SC company and getting approvals. Plus, as you said, there are lots of complaints and the companies spend more effort finding ways to reject your claim than to cover you when you need repairs.

Lastly, with a SC you're mandated to use specific service intervals and providers. Doing things your self or adding/removing equipment can void parts of the contract. Certainly, not always, but it is a consideration you have to take into account.

Who knows, down the road I may really regret not buying a policy and if I was buying a 13-yr old diesel I'd probably feel very different. But since this is an insurance product I know that companies could not remain in business if the majority of purchasers received more dollar value in repairs than they paid for the contract. That puts the odds in my favor.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought a 1 year ESP when I purchased my 07 Itasca last May. Have already got more back than the cost and taking it in to FL for engine service as I lost boost coming home. Plan to purchase a new one from same company, Compass as they have treated me right. The biggest is CALL FIRST. I have a $100 deductible.

Best wishes - Richard

Tags
extended warranty, warranty