Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Interstate Star RV policy, platinum+ coverage. Was part of the deal. It's a 3 year policy. Anyway, last year my full wall slide & levelers hydraulic system went out. Total cost was $2400.15. At the beginning of this year, my grey water holding tank broke away from the drain pipe [holding tanks are not fixable, only replaceable], the cost of the tank replacement was $1363.69. In total, $3763.84 was paid by Interstate Star RV [I have -0- deductible]. Currently, the motorhome in at Cummins for some work. Part of the repair will be covered by Cummins warranty, and the rest will be covered by Interstate Star RV.

I have never bought the extended warranties before, since I knew how most of them [didn't] work. But in my situation, I will extend my current warranty when the expiration comes up......it's an individual's choice. Some people regret buying them, where some swear by them!!

This is my 2 cents worth, and with today's inflation, it's still worth 2 cents, since pennies are made of copper.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK,
Here I go! I have had 2 new rigs in my lifetime, my first was a '97 Flair 30H from Fleetwood. The dealer threw in a 5 year extended warranty on top of Fleetwood giving a 2 year bumper to bumper. I used the warranty in year 4 for several major items! An electric step, roof top AC replacement, converter replacement and each time only $50.00! So when I purchased the "08 Bounder I also purchased a Route 66 7 year/75K extended. Fleetwood only gave a 1 year bumper to bumper, and Ford a 3/36 chassie. I have used the Route 66 for 3 power gear leveler motor replacement and one leveler brake repair, a main slideroom powergear motor replacement, a rear roof AC unit, and a transmission software flash/upgrade. It has more than paid for it self and I still have 3 years to go on it. Also if you go to a Route 66 Dealer you only pay $34.00 instead of $100.00 deductible for each visit! It has worked in my favor both times.
2008 Bounder
2008 Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenko74 View Post
First of all, never purchase one from a dealer. They often have a 60% profit margin. Go directly to the extended warranty corporate site, and check it out with the BBB. United States Warranty Corporation, for example, is rated A+ in claims service--really the most important aspect when you get right down to it. For a new travel trailer, 7 years bumper to bumper coverage is about $900, and you can get deductibles as low as $50.
WRONG! I've been in marketing for over 30 years, and I can tell you, he is correct about track it down, check it out, get their price...

THAT is when you grind the dealer! They DO have a big mark-up, and if you know that, you know how much to work them for. Go thru your whole negotiating process on your RV, then just before you sign, throw the warranty into the mix. If it were me, I would ask the dealer to cover the cost. If the sale is hanging in the balance, that $1000 or 2 isn't that much, especially if you are getting one of the pricier models.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #18

cornerstone united

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabear View Post
Ok, so this is going to generate alot of flack from all as I well know. Some will say do it and alot of others will say don't.....put your money away and save till something happens. I'm of the belief with any of my vehicles that now have alot of electrical gadgets in them that purchasing extended warranties is the best way to go. With that said we are waiting on the delivery of our custom MH and really need to know from those who have such said warranty which one do you have, had you had, who would you go with and who would you never go back too? Right now we are at a crossroad because the dealership gave us two companies: Cornerstone United and Interstate Star RV. Of course, they only gave us the prices for Cornerstone. This leads me to believe that they are going to push Cornerstone becausse they will get a kick back or Interstate must be very very expensive and the finanace guru thinks we won't have the money for it! If anyone has either of these companies your input would be greatly appreciated.

We have this company for extended warranty and had a terrible experience with them. We're from Canada and had a major breakdown near Bakersfield Calif. Took us 4 days to get a hold of someone because they don't work weekends and/or holidays and don't have an emergency or after hours number. They spent every conversation after we finally did reach them telling us what they wouldn't do rather than what they would do. We're still out of pocket over $2000.00. They even refused to pay the taxes at first using ridiculous excuses. By the way, this policy "Platinum" cost us over $5000.00 so it isn't cheap by any stretch. I'm a firm believer in extended warranty but look in other directions, these guys sold this as "bumper to bumper but not including the bumpers" and it isn't at all. The Canadian office I had to deal with would fob off my concerns and I'd end up speaking, more like listening, to someone from North Carolina denying and denying. It was a struggle to finally receive payments, partial one for the breakdown, partial one for the daily expenses, and finally the taxes. Sour taste for a long time.
Gazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I have heard that "United States Warranty Corporation" does a good job. Good Sam has revised their extended warranty as well. I have not got one, and don't know as I would get one, but check out both of those.

If it's never been heard of, I would not get one, you are not locked into getting one at the time of purchase so don't let the dealer sell you something you are not sure about.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote