RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 11:00 PM   #1

Extra tire pressure to avoid flat spots?

I just read my recent AAA newsletter and it recommended that to avoid flat spots to inflate the tires (while in storage) an extra ten pounds. I have never heard of that before. Is it correct information?

/s/ In storage due to Covid.

PW 1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2020, 12:19 AM   #2

I’ve never heard that on steel belted radial tires .
But things may have changed since I retired.
I’d have to say a visit to your tire manufacturer’s web site is in order.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:11 AM   #3

Put the jacks down and there won't be much weight on the tires.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #4

I inflate tires to/near max psi for storage.
I also made blocks just shy of the clearance under my retracted Jack's. When my air suspension lowers the blocks pick up a good share of the coach wt.

HWH has advised that long term Jack's can be extended or retracted but they do suggest periodically exercising them.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 AM   #5

The 10 additional PSI for storage probably accounts for some normal PSI loss that will occur naturally over time. Flat tire spots were a problem for glass bias tires, not so much for steel belted tires. A better option for long term storage is jack the vehicle up and take 50% or more of the load off the tires sitting on boards.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Don has it right. Michelin's recommendation is to inflate the tires to the pressure on the sidewalls when it will be in long term storage.
'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #7

Commercial Member

When I was working as a Tire Design Engineer I and others were involved in addressing passenger tire "Flat Spotting". While in general steel belted radials are less prone to flat spotting than bias tires were, we learned that as technology of lower rolling resistance constructions (for better fuel economy) moved forward, increased levels of flat-spotting became one of the trade-offs of better fuel economy.
Yes increasing tire inflation (or lowering the load) was one action that could reduce the tendency of any tire to flatspot due to the "creep" of tread rubber.
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read THIS POST by iRV2 moderator "007" to learn more about RV tires. Also check the post on iRv2 on "Why Tires Fail". I will be giving free tire seminars @ FMCA Convention @ Perry Ga March 2021
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

After reading all the comments I will be inflating our tires to the max pressure indicated on the tires! Thanks for bringing this important subject to our attention!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
PKI

Yes - true advice - starting to wonder if our coach was pumped up because it was destined to sit on the Yellow Brick road until Tiffin reopened mfg.

Our initial thought was that the 105-112 was because experience led the dealer to start folks there since lots of RVs get loaded to gross in a hurry.

Not so sure now.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen that in one of the tire company's RV Tire Guide, but I've forgotten which one.

Goodyear actually recommends 25% over the recommended pis but not greater than the sidewall max load psi. Michelin just says inflate to psi shown on sidewall for max load.

The big Tire Data Book published by the TRA shows inflations of 10 psi above sidewall pressure for some specific situations, so obviously it's an safe thing to do.

Flat spotting is not much to worry about with modern tires. It used to be a real problem with nylon tire bodies and bias ply tires, but that was over 40 years ago now.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For long term storage, I leave my jacks up and put a set of wood blocks under each jack. I then dump the air bags. The coach will lower down on these blocks without extending the jacks. This takes the weight off the tires. I asked (Paul) Azpete about this procedure and said it is OK.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #12

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I've seen that in one of the tire company's RV Tire Guide, but I've forgotten which one.

Goodyear actually recommends 25% over the recommended pis but not greater than the sidewall max load psi. Michelin just says inflate to psi shown on sidewall for max load.

The big Tire Data Book published by the TRA shows inflations of 10 psi above sidewall pressure for some specific situations, so obviously it's an safe thing to do.

Flat spotting is not much to worry about with modern tires. It used to be a real problem with nylon tire bodies and bias ply tires, but that was over 40 years ago now.

Well it's B A C K,

Nylon that is. If you read the material list on tires you will seen Nylon aka aramid as a material in many Passenger and Light Truck tires. Even some ST type have this material under the tread.
This is included primaril to provide improved High Speed performance and better heat resistance.
So you can get some flat spotting in those tires.
Tread rubber also can take a set so even 17.5, 19.5 and 22.5 tires with their thick tread can get flat spotting.
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read THIS POST by iRV2 moderator "007" to learn more about RV tires. Also check the post on iRv2 on "Why Tires Fail". I will be giving free tire seminars @ FMCA Convention @ Perry Ga March 2021
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Well it's B A C K,

Nylon that is. If you read the material list on tires you will seen Nylon aka aramid as a material in many Passenger and Light Truck tires. Even some ST type have this material under the tread.
This is included primaril to provide improved High Speed performance and better heat resistance.
So you can get some flat spotting in those tires.
Tread rubber also can take a set so even 17.5, 19.5 and 22.5 tires with their thick tread can get flat spotting.
Glad to see you back, Tireman. I hadn't seen you in some of the other random tire debates on here. Thanks for the unique perspective on this--here I wasn't doing anything to address it.

So, another question--what's the timeline when someone should consider it long term? I'm assuming >3 months or so?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #14

Whenever I park my Dutch Star/Spartan/Michelin for several weeks, I put the HWH levelers down such that the whole weight of the MH is NOT on the tires.

Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure