Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 12:06 AM   #1

Extra vehicle charge for a motorcycle?

I have a question for those few who've traveled with a motorcycle on a lift and towing a toad. I know charging the extra vehicle fee for a toad varies by campground, some do and some don't. Have you ever been charged an extra vehicle fee for your bike on a lift? If so how often have you been charged extra for the toad and the bike?
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 03:17 AM   #2

I was in a State Park in NE and had a toy hauler at the time. They charged me for an extra vehicle for my Harley. Had to pay a separate State park entrance fee for the bike just to ride in and out of the park.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I was in a State Park in NE and had a toy hauler at the time. They charged me for an extra vehicle for my Harley. Had to pay a separate State park entrance fee for the bike just to ride in and out of the park.
Sounds about right. I live in Nebraska and I avoid the state parks.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #4

I have a toy hauler pulled by my truck and have never been charged an extra fee for the bike.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #5

We haul a motorcycle on our swivel trailer behind our fifth wheel camper. We have never been charged extra unless I tell them I am going to unload the bike and will be going in/out of the campground.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #6

I've never been charged extra for a motorcycle, but I can understand why some places might. You're taking two vehicles in and out individually instead of just one.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Policies vary by campground, of course. The ones we've encountered that had an extra vehicle charge (and there were not many of those) pretty much assumed that if you brought it you intended to use it, and they charged accordingly.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:12 AM   #8

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the logic about charging for a motorcycle. It doesn't take up an extra parking space and has very little effect on the campground roads.

There are campgrounds that prohibit motorcycles because of noise. My Goldwing is as quiet as a car. I've heard diesel pickups and some motor homes that are LOUD and nothing is said.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm having a hard time understanding the logic about charging for a motorcycle.
The logic is most likely simply that the management doesn't want to bother to distinguish one vehicle type from another, whether by size or noise level or whatever. That just leads to debates with customers who inevitably have some hair-splitting reason they feel they should be allowed to have their own way. We've worked in many campgrounds and quickly learned that rules need to be both simple and without exception.

So, a vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle and if you bring an extra one, you pay the extra vehicle tax. It's much like paying extra for a 50A RV; they could meter the power and bill according to actual use, or they can simply charge a flat fee for the potential extra usage. One is more fair and the other is simpler for all concerned.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
We haul two motorcycles on our Hydralift and have never been charged extra. We ask about the two extra vehicles and are usually told they don't really take any extra room and thats the end of it. And we ride in and out of the parks on a regular basis. No issues so far traveling from the Keys to the west coast.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the logic about charging for a motorcycle. It doesn't take up an extra parking space and has very little effect on the campground roads.
The logic is most likely simply that the management doesn't want to bother to distinguish one vehicle type from another, whether by size or noise level or whatever.
Exactly. It's either a vehicle, or it isn't. If it is, then it should be treated the same way you'd treat a pickup truck. If not, you shouldn't be riding it on public roads, i.e. in and out of the campground/park/whatever.

Strangely enough, that's also why I can't justify things like lane splitting on a bike.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I always ask about a campground's motorcycle rules when I make my reservations. Only once have I ever been charged. Good to know right up front if they prohibit bikes before you arrive.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #13

Thanks for your experiences. Until recently I've trailered a bike in a cargo trailer and never been charged. Now the bike is going on a lift and the one time we've camped with it there was no charge but the camp host said to take the vehicle tag with us if we rode in and out of the park. Since we will be taking off in a few months to full time with the bike on a lift and towing a car, we suddenly wondered if we'd get charged for the bike.

Itchytoe, re: Lane splitting. I've been riding for 50 years and have never lane split. I know it's done frequently in some places especially in commute traffic. Frankly, I've always see it as a high risk behavior because people change lanes without signaling or looking. The #1 cause of motorcycle/vehicle accidents is a left turn in front of a bike and in almost all cases the car driver says they never saw the motorcycle coming. If driver facing you is the #1 danger (besides rider stupidity), then how can you trust drivers who have their backs to you as you sail by? As I've told my kids, risky behavior is like playing Russian Roulette. Every time you do it you spin the barrel and pull the trigger. The odds are greater at any one time that you'll hit an empty chamber, but the more you do it the greater the odds over time you'll land on a loaded one. Lane splitting is one of those behaviors.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Thanks for your experiences. Until recently I've trailered a bike in a cargo trailer and never been charged. Now the bike is going on a lift and the one time we've camped with it there was no charge but the camp host said to take the vehicle tag with us if we rode in and out of the park. Since we will be taking off in a few months to full time with the bike on a lift and towing a car, we suddenly wondered if we'd get charged for the bike.

Itchytoe, re: Lane splitting. I've been riding for 50 years and have never lane split. I know it's done frequently in some places especially in commute traffic. Frankly, I've always see it as a high risk behavior because people change lanes without signaling or looking. The #1 cause of motorcycle/vehicle accidents is a left turn in front of a bike and in almost all cases the car driver says they never saw the motorcycle coming. If driver facing you is the #1 danger (besides rider stupidity), then how can you trust drivers who have their backs to you as you sail by? As I've told my kids, risky behavior is like playing Russian Roulette. Every time you do it you spin the barrel and pull the trigger. The odds are greater at any one time that you'll hit an empty chamber, but the more you do it the greater the odds over time you'll land on a loaded one. Lane splitting is one of those behaviors.
I haven't ran into the extra vehicle problem yet but I assume that I will sometime in the future.

On lane splitting with bikes. I own two Harley's and I don't believe in lane splitting. To me it's dangerous. I lived in Houston for 9 yrs, saw lane splitting all the time. I think it was against the law there but some states it's legal and some other states are legalizing it.
Too many mean aggressive drivers that get offended by it, especially in Houston plus it's just plain dangerous.

Back to topic. I haven't hauled either of my bikes yet. But I will soon. I'm buying a tandem axle enclosed trailer just for that purpose. Hopefully most parks will only charge me for my MH.

The park that I full timed at for 9 yrs didn't care. The manager was a biker and had a bike almost identical to my old Road King Classic.

Plus, I kept a car and a truck there. This was an upscale park, probably the best park in the Houston area. I did have to start paying an extra fee for a trailer that I kept there.

I will see.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote