RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #1

Factory Tour, Jayco and Nexus

So today we (the boss and I) went to the Jayco factory tour. there were about 12 people on the tour. We just went down the Melbourn line.

it was a nice tour, but honestly, I was not really impressed with the quality. The factory itself was a mess. The floors were cluttered, some of the wall panels were dented on the corners. But the units seem to come together fairly well. I was disappointed that we couldn't go down the Class A or Seneca lines.

Overall it was a nice tour, but somethings didn't add up. ie; the insulation in the wall was equal R-8? and the roof insulation was R-20? Being in the HVAC industry, I'd love to see their logic in those numbers.

anyway, we went from Jayco to Nexus.

We got to the Nexus plant and we thought we were the only ones on the tour, then some "old guy" showed up and said his Thor was at the factory getting some kind of repair ( he didn't specify) but he figured he would take a few tours while waiting for his rig to be fixed. So as we are waiting, being the people persons we are and most RV'ers are we strike up a conversation. Turns out the guy is actually from our hometown of Rochester, NY and he worked at Eastman Kodak for 20 years and then drove a truck for Schneider of 20 years. Now he RV's full time.

The tour was nice and the quality of Nexus seemed to be well above Jayco.

But when all was said and done, all I could think was -- I can't wait to get on the road and meet people from all over the country, I hope it's in a Nexus Class C or, if things go according to plan, a super c, Ghost or Wraith.

But I can't wait to HAVE THE TIME to meet people. Right now im in scramble mode to get everything paid off so we CAN RV full time

Someday in the next couple years, I'll be out there and I hope to meet a bunch of you guys.

Have a great night

Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We hope to spend some time on those factory tours one day!

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #3

"But I can't wait to HAVE THE TIME to meet people. Right now im in scramble mode to get everything paid off so we CAN RV full time

Someday in the next couple years, I'll be out there and I hope to meet a bunch of you guys."

I'm with you JMAC !!! Its always good to get away and go camping,, but it Totally makes our trip special when I get to talk to fellow campers,,, from around the country !!!! Heck one time a few years ago I talked a bit to a couple maybe our age,,, (older) that were renting a class C to see The States. They were from over seas, don't remember where, Norway, Sweden ??? Super nice people !!!! Cool accent too !

We also are trying hard to get things paid off... Hopefully I'm 2 years and counting to throw the keys on the boss's desk !!!!

Also I don't think I would want to see how "most" rv's are built now days. All I can say is we've been pretty happy with our Cougar so far...

Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #4

Full time

June 1, 2019 target date.
I retired on Sept 1, 2018 and the wife is going on June 1, 2019.

I went 1 year early than what I was planning but after the 2nd knee replacement and working in a state prison as a supervisor of security I just got to the point I did not feel comfortable in there any longer. So we decided it was best for me to go and retire when I did.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #5

I am disappointed to hear you say Jaycos' workmanship is sloppy. As a former Forest River owner and now a Keystone owner I always thought "wouldn't it be nice to have a Jayco"? Interesting, but not surprising.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby8242 View Post
I am disappointed to hear you say Jaycos' workmanship is sloppy. As a former Forest River owner and now a Keystone owner I always thought "wouldn't it be nice to have a Jayco"? Interesting, but not surprising.
here is why I said Jayco's quality wasn't great.

They drill a 4" hole in the deck for a toilet. when they line the Toilet shoe up it "worked" but it was off center by 1" to and 1". Im kind of a jerk when it comes to quality and with today's CAD systems, things like this seem to be sloppy, to me.

Wall panels are pre-cut/routered and then delivered to the floor. every wall panel had a corner crushed in? Now, this may not affect the installation or final product, but to me, it shows a lack of care during assembly.

The assembly floor was a mess, screws laying all over, tools laying all over. I have been through assembly plants before, all of them were immaculate and well organized. Jayco, not so much
Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #7

I've done much research over the last couple years on most of the most popular and recognized brands. I'll admit that all rv product manufacturers have seemingly continual challenges with initial quality issues right out of the factory doors.

As I see it, the difference is that there seems to be varied levels of concern regarding initial quality by senior management. I have no axe to grind nor personal interest in any rv company, however, without the intent of hurting anyone's feelings but I would never own a Jayco product. Senior management seems to be proud of the fact that they are proud of company produced videos showing how many units can be thrown together in a day! I thought it was a joke when I saw my first one. The manager that narrated the video was almost giddy that his amish team could get 32 of these units outbthe door in a day.

There are many manufacturers that probably mirror this practice...I only mention Jayco because it was mentioned in this thread.

Safe travels all...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #8

Its really too bad you did not get to see the seneca line as that is the competition to the nexus.

I was heavily interested in the super Cs for a while.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Its really too bad you did not get to see the seneca line as that is the competition to the nexus.

I was heavily interested in the super Cs for a while.
yes, I really wanted to see the Seneca Line. They were just starting an Entegra line when we got to the end of the tour.

we have gone through a couple Class A, Like the Maybach. but Im having trouble wrapping my head around driving a vehicle while in front of the steering wheels

also, it should be mentioned, Jayco does have a 2 year warranty? not sure that really means anything at this point though
Old 10-31-2018, 11:01 AM   #10

The thing that killed the super c for me was the extra 50 to 60k over a truck and 5th wheel.

If I am going to sit in a truck cab and look through a standard windshield it might as well be a pickup that I can use everyday.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
The thing that killed the super c for me was the extra 50 to 60k over a truck and 5th wheel.

If I am going to sit in a truck cab and look through a standard windshield it might as well be a pickup that I can use everyday.
understood, but a super c has a diesel engine, which adds about 30% to the total cost.

As I said, I'd have to get used to having my face out there in front of the front wheels, but I do like the room of the Class A

The other thing that I have trouble with the Ford V10, people tell me that it has enough power to go up a steep hill, but some folks are saying they are doing very high RPM to maintain speed going uphill

I guess Im just going to have to get in one and see how it runs
Old 10-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #12

We’ve taken 3 tours tiffin Thor and jayco and all 3 the assembly floors were a mess. While at the jayco ( Elkhart ) where they built 5 wheels they also built Integras, (both owned by Thor), but had no tours for that building. Tiffin had a wood working shop as big as a football field. Still very interesting at all the facilities.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #13

I just took the Grand Design Plant Tour and you could eat off the floor in ANY PART OF THE PKANT!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco