Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #1

Falling out of bunk beds

Not that I am a helicopter parent or anything like that, but my daughter loves to sleep in the upper bunk and of course I let her but I was wondering if anybody has had any instances of their kids falling out of the bunk? I kinda wish there were a guard rail up there and she hasn't falling out yet, but I do admit I get nervous for some reason when she's sleeping up there. Maybe I am a product of the times we live in, afraid of everything lol
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
She'll probably never fall out of bed when sleeping, its the waking up during the night and not remembering where you are that's the issue. Honestly you probably have nothing to worry about but if its causing you to not be able to sleep buy a night light and/or buy a bed rail, you could always make one too.
lorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
If she doesn't fall out of bed at home, no reason to think she'll fall out of bed anywhere else. I think adults falling out of the overhead in a Class C trying to get down in the dark would be a bigger problem.
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #4

DBL Post
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
Not that I am a helicopter parent or anything like that, but my daughter loves to sleep in the upper bunk and of course I let her but I was wondering if anybody has had any instances of their kids falling out of the bunk? I kinda wish there were a guard rail up there and she hasn't falling out yet, but I do admit I get nervous for some reason when she's sleeping up there. Maybe I am a product of the times we live in, afraid of everything lol
Pretty Simple - Does she fall out of a Regular Bed? - If not then Why would she fall out of the Top Bunk? - -----

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

She does tend to move a lot at night, she is a very hard sleeper. At home, she has a rail on her bed though. It's some kind of princess bed with rails on both sides. OK cool, it doesn't seem as though I have anything to worry about. I was just kinda curious if its happened to anybody.
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 6 Y.O. granddaughter fell out of the overhead bunk a while ago. By time I got to her she was half way up the ladder. Couple of minor bruises but all was well.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #8

How about adding a simple rail like this, https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/vikare-g...hite-50251388/, no holes to drill just to be on the safe side. You could also make something simple, inexpensive, and lite weight out if 1/2" PVC Pipe. Or this bed Bumper from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/1-Pack-hiccap...s%2C222&sr=8-5 or https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bumpers...87791MVZX83XEH. You might also try a mega pool noodle under the bed sheet of mattress to block/elevate the outside edge. You might also consider using the longer Camco double rods, https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Refrige...8-1-spons&th=1, to add bars of sorts to the bunk bed opening. You would just need a 2 doubles vertically inserted at the shoulder/chest and hips location to stop a child from rolling out.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #9

My son puts pillows at the edge to keep him comfy. Not aware that he has ever fallen out, but he has always done the pillow thing.

Worse case, put a rail on the side of the bunk that is easily removable for emergencies. Doesn't need to go full side, just enough to feel there with a nudge.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #10

I saw a tip somewhere that suggested putting a pool noodle between the mattress and the bottom sheet, forming a "curb" of sorts along the outer edge of the bed.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoz View Post
I saw a tip somewhere that suggested putting a pool noodle between the mattress and the bottom sheet, forming a "curb" of sorts along the outer edge of the bed.
That's a good idea.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never let a child sleep in a top bunk without a guard rail! I couldn't sleep myself wondering if they were going to fall out!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the Boat docked on the Snake River, daughter and 11 year old GSon. The GS was in the Bunk above the dinette, daughter in the dinette bed,

In the middle of the night, BANG I knew the dock had been hit by a barge. Nope GS just rolled out of bed, and hit the deck. He was not hurt.

Bought a Gear Hammock for the side of the bunk, problem solved.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...64?recordNum=4
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #14

Here is my fix to this problem I built some bunk rails out of 2x4s ripped them with a table say and sanded them down working on staining the them correct color now and to hold them in place is just a little 2x4 bracket from Lowe’s which makes them easy to pull of for travel I have a pic just gotta firgure out how to post it can u do that from this app?
Dreenn is offline   Reply With Quote