Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
WDW

Fan tastic fan upgrade kit

so we’re spoiled in our last motorhome we had the model 7350 fantastic fan which has a remote control and rain sensor. Our new motorhome does not have these installed and instead of replacing the whole fan I’ve discovered that they now offer this upgrade kit. It would save me around $120 per fan if I were to change all three of them out. Does anyone have any experience installing this?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #2

No experience with this kit, but I looked at it on Amazon and see that you only have to make the replacement from inside the RV. If the roof top cover is in good shape, it would save the hassle of removing the old external parts, removing sealant and remounting the outer unit. Installing the interior part of the fan is pretty easy for the average RV owner that has done basic do it yourself jobs.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it were me, I would opt for the unit with the hooded lid that you can leave open in the rain. Helps to keep air circulating.

Not hard to install complete if you are handy. I've done 4 of them over the years. Uses the same 14" opening and control with a remote.'

Remove the sealant and putty, take out the screws and toss the old one away.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #4

If you want to install the new rain sensor you will need to go up on top. Also, if your existing fan has the 'can' style motor and not the pancake motor you will need a new fan motor assembly and that means you will have to up on top.

I purchased the upgrade kit and it wouldn't work properly but after working with Dometic over a 3 or 4 month period the result was they didn't think the kit worked with the 'can' motor. They sent me a new pancake motor fan assembly and now all works. The instructions will tell you to change a jumper on the board if you have a 'can' motor but that doesn't help.

Before purchasing the upgrade kit I suggest calling Dometic and keeping a record of your conversation for confirmation that the upgrade kit will work with your existing fan motor.

There are only two wires to the new fan assembly, a hot 12 volt and a ground. Any wires you have that may have previously been used to control fan speed are not used. Only the remote can operate the fan. The lift knob that comes on the new lift motor can be used to raise the cover manually. But, if the fan was turned off before you use the manual knob to raise the cover the fan won't run.

Also when running the fan under the temperature control mode when the temperature approaches the set point the fan motor seems to hunt for the proper speed; first slowing down and then speeding up for quite awhile.

Having said all of this, the fan does perform reasonably well but you also need to know the remote uses IR and the remote needs to be pointed in the general direction of the fan as it won't work around corners.

I just wish they had put a little more effort in building a fan that worked as good as my original Fantastic Vent Fan.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #5

I have heard a lot of complaints about the "new" motors. I am still running the original big black motors on my 2 FFs (date code '97). FF Customer Service (just before Dometic bought them) told me they are bullet proof and run forever, unlike the newer fans.
I also hear complaints about having to get up and point the remote at the fan.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, upgrade