Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #1

Fast way to drain the fresh water tank?

Been a long time since I have been on this site so please bare with me. I know there have been a lot of discussions on draining the fresh water tanks. I am interested to know if anyone has made a modification to the fresh water tank drain. I would like to keep my fresh water tank full while home and empty it prior to travels. The Trailer is inside a garage, no available space to park & drain on the ground here. Thinking of connecting a garden hose to the 1/2 drain tube. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like a good setup with your tow vehicle why drain it ?
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #3

Why empty prior to travel?

You can add any mod you want to make draining work for you
Home Depot has a 1/2 in. Plastic PEX Barb x 3/4 in. Male Garden Hose Thread Adapter with Clamp
Slip clamp onto PEX pipe push barbed fitting into PEX...snap clamp closed....connect the hose, open drain valve and get it go until drained

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Looks like a good setup with your tow vehicle why drain it ?
I do not want to carry the extra weight. Thanks
Old 10-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Why empty prior to travel?

You can add any mod you want to make draining work for you
Home Depot has a 1/2 in. Plastic PEX Barb x 3/4 in. Male Garden Hose Thread Adapter with Clamp
Slip clamp onto PEX pipe push barbed fitting into PEX...snap clamp closed....connect the hose, open drain valve and get it go until drained

Thank you, this setup will work well for me. Appreciate the pics.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #6

I have the 1/4” (think it is) petcock valve at the end of the 1/2” pex pipe. I have to remove the valve and replace it with an inline valve. A few mods and I will be set. Thanks
Old 10-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #7

If you have 1/2 inch pex do you have room to add a 1/4 turn bib/hose faucet to it instead of the petcock? If so you can just run a hose to it and drain it wherever the hose will reach. I have a blade valve on mine and a one inch or one and one quarter inch drain can not remember which. I added the 1/4 faucet to it to drain it through a hose.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
If you have 1/2 inch pex do you have room to add a 1/4 turn bib/hose faucet to it instead of the petcock? If so you can just run a hose to it and drain it wherever the hose will reach. I have a blade valve on mine and a one inch or one and one quarter inch drain can not remember which. I added the 1/4 faucet to it to drain it through a hose.
I will look into your suggestion, appreciate your help. I have to get under the trailer, decide what I need and then I can get all the parts I need in one trip to the store. In my case that is a 55 mile one way trip, ....ok no way in my experience I will make that goal😁.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:24 AM   #9

Just curious 1010? Why do you keep the tank filled at home?

I know most people say it's ok to leave the water in the tank but from my personal bad luck experience, I do not. Unbeknownst to me, the water pump housing in our MH developed a very small leak sometime late last year. It was very small and not noticeable, but over probably a month or two, caused us lots of headaches. I had to remove the bed, tank, and rip out the carpet to start the drying process. Worked out in the end because we were already thinking about replacing the carpet anyway but it still cost us a bit over 2 grand to get everything back up to par. Needless to say, except for if a hurricane is heading our way, the tank stays empty these days.

As far as draining, could you design some type of funnel set up? Maybe make a box to hold a funnel upright with an attached hose that runs to the outside. Wouldn't need to reconstruct the existing set up and you could just slide the funnel under the drain without having to crawl under to attach a hose every time you drained.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Just curious 1010? Why do you keep the tank filled at home?

I know most people say it's ok to leave the water in the tank but from my personal bad luck experience, I do not. Unbeknownst to me, the water pump housing in our MH developed a very small leak sometime late last year. It was very small and not noticeable, but over probably a month or two, caused us lots of headaches. I had to remove the bed, tank, and rip out the carpet to start the drying process. Worked out in the end because we were already thinking about replacing the carpet anyway but it still cost us a bit over 2 grand to get everything back up to par. Needless to say, except for if a hurricane is heading our way, the tank stays empty these days.

As far as draining, could you design some type of funnel set up? Maybe make a box to hold a funnel upright with an attached hose that runs to the outside.
Wouldn't need to reconstruct the existing set up and you could just slide the funnel under the drain without having to crawl under to attach a hose every time you drained.

I appreciate you sharing your misfortune which confirms my concerns about storing water in the tank. I am thinking about keeping water in the tank as a back up supply since we are on a community well. No electric no water. The trailer is also being used occasionally while parked. Not sure if I will move forward with the plan, if I do I will be diligent in watching for leaks.
I like your idea, I have not done a fibbermagee project in a long time.
Thank you for your help
Old 11-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #11

on Alfa's theres 2 low water drain vales{well actually 3 as one is at water heater} and one is under pressure when pump is on so i just open that one with pump off they both drain slow.. just splice a line after pump and put shutoff on it an end thu basement floor.. open it with pump on an drain tank
Old 11-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #12

Rather than a gravity drain, why not get a 12V water pump from Harbor Freight? Pumps 6 gallons per minute. Tap into your fresh water tank and run a 3/4" inside diameter clear milker plastic hose and you will empty 30 gallons in five minutes.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Rather than a gravity drain, why not get a 12V water pump from Harbor Freight? Pumps 6 gallons per minute. Tap into your fresh water tank and run a 3/4" inside diameter clear milker plastic hose and you will empty 30 gallons in five minutes.
Use existing pump; tee into the output tubing and install a shutoff then male garden hose fitting.
Hope you don''t mind me shortening your idea.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water