Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #1

Fat tire bike rack for back of class A

We hope to be hitting the road very soon to start our full time adventures. We have a 2017 Holiday Rambler 34' class A and our toad is a 2018 Jeep Wranger 4 door.

Last fall we bought a couple of Lectric fat tire bikes. My original thought was to just store them in the back of the Jeep with the second row seats down. That works but is a real pain to load and unload for this 65 year old guy. We really don't want to travel with them on the back of the jeep because we would have to cover them to keep rain and mud off and the backup camera would be completely blocked and I feel the tail lights would also be somewhat blocked.

Ideally we would like to get a dual 2" receiver adapter for the RV and install the bike rack on the back of the RV and still tow the Jeep but I'm concerned that the bike rack may extend too far back and cause problems when turning the RV. I worry that the bikes may hit the jeep?

Can someone make a recommendation on a bike rack to install on the back of the RV that would not extend too far back?

Also we thought it might be a good idea to use the same bike rack on the back of the jeep once we set up at camp and want to use just the jeep to travel to trails, etc.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Dave and Cindy
DaveInman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a fat tire Ebike and my wife has a normal one.

I made up a hitch with another receiver about 6 inches above the ball.

Now I can load the bikes on the rack and still hook up my toad or dolly.

I sort of copied a Swagman rack, but they sell wheel brackets for fat tires.

To load, I just pull the bike along side the rack, grab the rear brake, and pull back on the bars. It's easy to swing the front tire into the cradle, then lift the back end up and into the cradle.

My Ebike is 65 pounds, and goes up very easy this way.

Happy Glamping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	274632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2056.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	274633  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #3

I can't help you with the bicycle rack, but I do have a motorcycle rack on the back of my Arctic Fox fifth wheel so I can carry a little 250cc dirt bike around. But what I was going to offer is a suggestion about your future full timing. When I first started full timing about five years ago I had all kinds of ideas about what I was going to do and the things I wanted to carry with me so I bought a bicycle, almost bought a kayak, and other things that I thought would bring me a lot of happy hours in my travels.

Despite all my plans and daydreams of what would be fun while I was full timing It didn't take too long of living the dream to figure out that I hardly ever used the bicycle and it was soon given away. I had boats when I lived in Miami Florida so I thought a kayak would be a perfect companion in my full timing lifestyle. Now every time I see somebody carrying one around and ask them how often they use it, I'm reminded how lucky I am I didn't buy one.

The point of this is my experience has been you won't know what your full-timing life is going to be until you spend some time on the road, so it's best not to make any expensive purchases no matter how good an idea they seem at the time until your full timing life has taken shape. So try not to spend too much money on a way to carry your new Lectric Bicycles, because I know it sounds cool now to be cruising around the RV Park, but full timing has a way of changing people, the way they look at life, and the things that are important. So give it some time and the things that you really want to do will become more and more apparent as you find the full-time lifestyle that fits you the best.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInman View Post
We hope to be hitting the road very soon to start our full time adventures. We have a 2017 Holiday Rambler 34' class A and our toad is a 2018 Jeep Wranger 4 door.

Last fall we bought a couple of Lectric fat tire bikes. My original thought was to just store them in the back of the Jeep with the second row seats down. That works but is a real pain to load and unload for this 65 year old guy. We really don't want to travel with them on the back of the jeep because we would have to cover them to keep rain and mud off and the backup camera would be completely blocked and I feel the tail lights would also be somewhat blocked.

Ideally we would like to get a dual 2" receiver adapter for the RV and install the bike rack on the back of the RV and still tow the Jeep but I'm concerned that the bike rack may extend too far back and cause problems when turning the RV. I worry that the bikes may hit the jeep?

Is that a gas Class A? If you only have a 5,000 lb towing capacity and hitch you’ll likely be right at or over 5,000 lbs.

I was looking at doing the same thing but the dual rack extended back 36” so I could only drive in a straight line. The rack I looked at had ramps to help get the bikes loaded. It was a Thule Easysomething.

Please post back if you find a workable solution.

Ray

Tags
bike rack, class a