Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very sad and unfortunate, not knowing that temporarily resting from one's trip would end up Resting in Peace permanently. A heartfelt condolence to the widow and family.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
edj

While it is a tragedy that this happened, it seems to me that it was partially the fault of the RVer. Most of the fault is with the trucker, but the RVer should not have been parked along the curb (as described in the article). There are pull-through slots in the rest areas where the RVs and trucks are supposed to park. If those slots are filled, they should pass on through and find someplace else to park. I fully realize that the truckers park all along the edge of the entrance and exit lanes of the rest areas, but, they are much larger and not as likely to be severely injured in a rear-end crash. A RVer, being much smaller is putting themselves in danger by parking on the side of the road or entrance/exit lanes.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
While it is a tragedy that this happened, it seems to me that it was partially the fault of the RVer. Most of the fault is with the trucker, but the RVer should not have been parked along the curb (as described in the article). There are pull-through slots in the rest areas where the RVs and trucks are supposed to park. If those slots are filled, they should pass on through and find someplace else to park. I fully realize that the truckers park all along the edge of the entrance and exit lanes of the rest areas, but, they are much larger and not as likely to be severely injured in a rear-end crash. A RVer, being much smaller is putting themselves in danger by parking on the side of the road or entrance/exit lanes.
I read it different than you, along the curb doesn't mean he was not parked in a designated space, many rest areas have designated and marked parking spaces along the curb. As a matter of fact I was parked in one in a rest area in Virginia last week along with other rvers and 18 wheelers. Both sides of the rest area had designated long parking spaces in the truck/RV parking area. Even if we assume that the rver was parked in a non-designated area, it still does not excuse the trucker from losing control of his vehicle and coming into the rest area too fast. The article stated he entered the rest area at a high rate of speed. In southern Virginia, last week, we were also very fortunate that we made a short stop which saved us from being in the line of fire of an 18 wheeler who was traveling south on I81, lost control of his vehicle, crossed the median and killed the drivers in two 4 wheel vehicles. You guessed it, the 24 year old truck operator was uninjured! UPDATED: I-81 tractor trailer crash kills two in Wythe County | SWVAToday

There are way too many accidents caused by these "professional" 18 wheel drivers, I have been passed by many who are busy reading a book while they are traveling at 70 miles an hour and now many of them are texting! Preposterous!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryCoachRV View Post

There are way too many accidents caused by these "professional" 18 wheel drivers, I have been passed by many who are busy reading a book while they are traveling at 70 miles an hour and now many of them are texting! Preposterous!

Please don't turn this into a "I hate truck drivers" post. It was an unfortunate
accident that claimed two lives. Truck related accidents are actually at an all time low, and texting or cell phone use (without hands free) is illegal while driving a commercial vehicle. As far as reading a book, I have looked at my atlas while driving many times (not everyone has a GPS).
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Please don't turn this into a "I hate truck drivers" post. It was an unfortunate accident that claimed two lives. Truck related accidents are actually at an all time low, and texting or cell phone use (without hands free) is illegal while driving a commercial vehicle. As far as reading a book, I have looked at my atlas while driving many times (not everyone has a GPS).
I agree and reiterate--please do not turn this in any sort of anti-truck driver post. I will give the benefit of the doubt to anyone who is trained to drive commercially. That being said, I also realize that there are bad trainers, some companies "push them through...get 'em on the road", and then there are simple freak accidents.

Regarding use of electronic devices... here is a website that has very good and up to date information on the regulation of cell phone use by CDL drivers. CDL Cell Phone Ban | Driver Training Services
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #20

Whenever we pull into a rest area, even just for a "stretch and walk around" break I never take the first open parking spot. I look down further and closer to the exit end. Guess I have always been a bit paranoid about parking on the "front" end.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
THe one thing I give truck drivers over those of us that drive RVs is they went to school to learn to drive.

How many RV'ers went to the lot picked up a 40' class and drove off without having attended driving school? I've always been amazed that it's possible and legal to go from having driven nothing bigger than a pick up truck to driving a 40' rig.

There are bad truck drivers, just like their are bad drivers behind the wheel of a car or an RV.

We shouldn't group all truckers together.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #22

My condolences to Mrs. Bal for this terrible accident and the loss of her husband. I am certain that the vast majority of our truck drivers, who provide an valuable service for our country, are sorry this happened too.

I will learn from this incident, and make sure I'm not parked anywhere near the entrance of a rest area.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Eastbound I-70 was also closed for a short time following the crash because of concern smoke from the fire was carrying fumes coming from dangerous chemicals being hauled by the semi.
I'd be concerned about the fumes from the burning RV too, many of the things in the RV are made by stuff that is downright toxic when it burns, Carpeting, Furnature, to name but two.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I'd be concerned about the fumes from the burning RV too, many of the things in the RV are made by stuff that is downright toxic when it burns, Carpeting, Furnature, to name but two.
You are right. Toxic fumes are a priority item for fire fighters and emergency responders. Decades ago simple smoke was the concern, today virtually everything contains toxic chemicals.Very few people actually die from exposure to fire, toxic fumes and suffocation are the culprits.
I never pull in the first vacant spot, but rather seek the last few spots. Sometimes this causes me to have to just drive through and back onto the highway. I always leave the back end of my rig even with the semi trailers next to me. To pull fully forward leaves the impression the spot is vacant, and subjects one to a very sleepy drivers mistaken impression until the last second.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #25

Jayco Owners Club
Wow! Looking at an atlas is no different than texting. Anything that takes your attention off the road can be lethal in a hurry. And driving or towing an RV while diong it doubles the risk. I have 11 direct-report employees that all drive company-furnished vehicles. This is just about the quickest way for one of then to be dismissed....

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Such a tragedy. Never thought about that happening at a rest stop.

From now on I'm going to take that into consideration as to which spot I pick at a rest stop.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
THe one thing I give truck drivers over those of us that drive RVs is they went to school to learn to drive.

How many RV'ers went to the lot picked up a 40' class and drove off without having attended driving school? I've always been amazed that it's possible and legal to go from having driven nothing bigger than a pick up truck to driving a 40' rig....
That was me. I admit it. Too often sales people try to make you feel that it ain't that hard.

That being said, Sandee and I had already made contact with a friend of ours that was the head of a truck driving school. The weekend after we got our rig he spent 8 hours giving us private lessons on close quarter (parking lot, city streets and such) and highway handling of our new rig. It was a huge eye opener!

So at 3 weeks ownership, I know just enough to know I don't know enough yet. Working on that every chance I can.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #28

But knowing you don't is half the battle.
You should have seen the firefighters that use to ride with me when we got in a new piece of equipment. I had one ask "What the he.. are you doing." To which my reply was , "Driving it like we are going to have to when we respond."
No one wanted to go out with me on the third drive (1st 2 to learn 3rd to drive). But I also use to be able to get the equipment where no one else could. I have gotten ambulances into icy places people could not walk or drive. (Getting out was interesting 'down hill')
I guess a long winded way of saying know your and your equipments limits and don't exceed either.