Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
If you use the dump station (subject of the thread) you are getting all the same services as a person in a "premium" site. Why should you pay less? Perhaps a little discount for the inconvenience of having to go to the dump station is reasonable but why should you dump for free?
If the Non Premium site camper is dumping for free, then the Campground is foolish in their rate calculations. The campground rate for a spot should include the cost of the use of the dump station. The Premium site would add an upgrade amount for the conscience of full hookups. Nobody is getting anything free.
USA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2021, 08:51 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
Another reason to not go to California
Yeah, let's plan that next trip to Iowa.
retrorocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #59

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
New article just came to my inbox.

https://camperreport.com/california-.../#comment-8961

it talks about how there is some growing problem in California where people are illegally dumping contaminated materials in the dumps. 1, i don't think people are going to drive all the way to a campground just to dump your chemicals or other liquids. 2, how is this going to stop that activity. If i was dumping some vege oil or chemicals, just pay the $10 and dump it in. Now for cost recovery sure this helps with that. Have they thought about asking rangers to monitor this? oh wait, with a pay per use dump station they can charge us more to camp... I know i know, dumping is a "convenience". Hope Oregon doesn't join the practice.
As I recall, this was the reasoning behind shutting down dump stations at rest areas. People were dumping all kinds of stuff and killing the system. So instead of charging, they just closed the dump stations at rest areas.

Not sure why charging to dump at a campground would be an issue. You already paid to use the facility. How often do people just sneak in and dump?

I loved this:
"the response from the majority of RVers has been positive as they appreciate a clean, well maintained location to dump their holding tanks and are willing to pay the RV dumping fee."

-So... people are happy to pay more to camp?

But apparently people are occasionally just pulling in to dump and leave?
"The automated dump stations cost between $10 and $20 per use depending on the location. They work the same as a regular dump station and are available for campers, day-use, or transient visitors."

-The majority of dump sites at campgrounds I have visited have been behind the entry kiosk, you had to pay to get in to begin with.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorocket View Post
So move.
Or, he could stay in his home state, and work to change it more to his liking, which is what a democratic system encourages us to do.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #61

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I'm not getting the same service as people on Premium sites and I'm not dumping for free at the Ga State Parks. People with sewer on site are paying for the convenience of not having to go to the dump station.
The last State Park we stayed at had full service sites. We got into ours and found 2 things. One was that the sewer connection was a good 20 plus feet from the pedestal and was at the entrance to the site (our slinky wouldn't reach that far). It was a pull through and we had the toad behind us, putting the sewer connection actually at the rear of the toad.
Second was the instructions to not dump my tank at the site, only dump at the station near the entrance.

*What is the sewer connection for if not to dump the tank when I leave?
Old 07-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #62

Fee Based Dump Stations

So I have heard rumors that one of the reasons that Walmart is stopping using their parking lots for over night parking is because some people just dumped their black tanks in the parking lot storm drains before they leave. That certainly would get residents and municipalities in an uproar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
New article just came to my inbox.

https://camperreport.com/california-.../#comment-8961

it talks about how there is some growing problem in California where people are illegally dumping contaminated materials in the dumps. 1, i don't think people are going to drive all the way to a campground just to dump your chemicals or other liquids. 2, how is this going to stop that activity. If i was dumping some vege oil or chemicals, just pay the $10 and dump it in. Now for cost recovery sure this helps with that. Have they thought about asking rangers to monitor this? oh wait, with a pay per use dump station they can charge us more to camp... I know i know, dumping is a "convenience". Hope Oregon doesn't join the practice.
rlg717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #63

No. You're wrong. Give it up.
safwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:10 PM   #64

Pay to dump should be the rule. Everywhere. It costs to process the waste, park dumps are septic that needs pumping usually by the way. If you want free - don't come.
safwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:31 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-n-BJ View Post
The last State Park we stayed at had full service sites. We got into ours and found 2 things. One was that the sewer connection was a good 20 plus feet from the pedestal and was at the entrance to the site (our slinky wouldn't reach that far). It was a pull through and we had the toad behind us, putting the sewer connection actually at the rear of the toad.
Second was the instructions to not dump my tank at the site, only dump at the station near the entrance.

*What is the sewer connection for if not to dump the tank when I leave?
What park was that?

I'd be asking the office why I can't use a service I paid for.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by safwsu View Post
Pay to dump should be the rule. Everywhere. It costs to process the waste, park dumps are septic that needs pumping usually by the way. If you want free - don't come.

I don't think anyone expects "free". The issue seems to be how something that was previously included in the camping fee now has an up-charge. Again, I don't mind a dump fee that is used to support the facility.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we go to boondocking area we like. Our return trip we drive right by a state park. Maybe 1/4 mile to the dump station. I mentioned several time to the DW that it would be so simple just to pull in and dump. But I end up driving 18 miles out of my way to pay $10 to dump at the flying-j.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by safwsu View Post
Good news, every dump is pay. There is nothing and I do mean nothing that is free.

The debate is how to pay for it.

All of the free sites I use routinely, I still pay, just not as a direct fee to the site.

I have paid fees by federal taxes, road taxes, campground fees, fueling up at a location that has a dump, I have had repairs done and bought supplies at the RV shop that has a dump.

Again I have never dumped for free, however rarely do I directly pay at the dump site.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have never had to pay to dump. We stay at Fed, COE, State, County, City parks most of the time and we usually only have electric at the site. So we dump on the way out. We almost never stay at private campgrounds.

Even the town next to ours has a free dump at the Sewer Dept, complete with rinse. Although I'm wondering how long that's going to last.

Is charging to dump a west coast thing? We live in the midwest and have not seen it.
I can see charging a fee if you're not staying at the park, but if you're paying a fee to camp and it includes services, you've already paid.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Is charging to dump a west coast thing?
It depends on the type place. I have traveled in WA, ID, OR an MT.

The places that I have found that charge are:
Very small towns (population under 500) that have dumps at their fairgrounds or city parks.
Private campgrounds if you are not staying there.
Some state campgrounds if you are not staying there.
Some other private businesses like Flying J that have dumps but may be free with fuel purchase.

Places that I have found that do not charge for dumping:
Many Park Service campgrounds
I have found many fuel stations that have free dumps. In Oregon many of the Mavrick stations do.
Some small towns that have large waste stations do not charge
Some small towns with fairgrounds or city parks
Many rest areas in WA and OR for sure. I have not used or looked for one in ID or MT yet.
Any campground that has a fee to stay
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote