Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #1

FEMA using RV trailers again for housing

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...220232595.html

Once again, this will be interesting. Putting that high of a number of units out and into the hands of those who have no RV experience. I wonder if they will have a few people to help them with questions and issues?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post

Once again, this will be interesting. Putting that high of a number of units out and into the hands of those who have no RV experience. I wonder if they will have a few people to help them with questions and issues?
Every fema trailer I've seen has had regular toilets and refrigerators, and once set up, were plumbed to water and sewer. They aren't moved around so there isn't really too much to learn or ask about on these trailers.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #3

We were flooded with “Katrina” trailers after that hurricane. Now they are cheap deer camp trailers.
There were thousands stored in fields across Mississippi and Louisiana.
Most of them came by train, you would have to have seen it to believe it. Your tax dollars at work..
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Am I not seeing the vents for a Norcold AC/Gas fridge on the first Ameri-Lite?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:

Would you feel better if tents were issued? Or nothing?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

I'm with Mudfrog
Not like rookies pulling and setting up rigs? Just like living in a small house. I'm happy they have some kind of roof over their heads. What a horrible thing to go through. I can think of a lot of dumber things the government spends our tax $$ on!
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Would you feel better if tents were issued? Or nothing?

The point was that the government sent WAY to many units. They sat in fields and rotted. As was said “you had to see it to believe it”.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
All in favor of a family in need of a temporary "roof" over their head, while their home is being repaired. An added plus is being able to park a RV in ones driveway to keep your kids in their school system, keep their friends close and monitor the progress being made to repair their home. The true FEMA RV trailers don't have holding tanks.

Some areas of flooding with so many families needing housing will surely overwhelm any available hotel rooms. Just wonder if the hotels in a flooded area knowing they have a limited supply are raising rates.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #9

No, I don't have a problem with our tax dollars being used to buy American built TTs to be used for temp housing for these people.

I'm just thinking about all the problems we see from people who wanted to buy a TT. Some searched and looked for what best suited them, and some had no clue. Now we will have multiple hundreds that have no clue about how these systems work having issues and be totally against the wall. I just wonder how they will address that, but then I am looking for a part time career for after retirement. After a discussion with somebody that has come to help out with the League of Municipalities, I will probably be looking at FEMA as I have a deep background in Emergency Management / Incident Command and already have contacts within FEMA and Kelly's skillset would be an asset for them. Now, I have another option to offer.

An afterthought... Every one of the the units will be under a factory warranty, so who will be doing the warranty work and the "mandatory" six week wait for replacement parts?
Old 10-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I’ve seen a number of the trailers from Katrina that were auctioned to folks afterward who thought they’d get into a TT at a great deal. I’m sure not all were this way, but those I saw were in pretty tough shape. Did their duty I guess but not much value left over. I can’t think of a better solution to the problem for FEMA but I’d hope they don’t overpurchase again. A hurricane is called a disaster for a reason.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
No, I don't have a problem with our tax dollars being used to buy American built TTs to be used for temp housing for these people.

I'm just thinking about all the problems we see from people who wanted to buy a TT. Some searched and looked for what best suited them, and some had no clue. Now we will have multiple hundreds that have no clue about how these systems work having issues and be totally against the wall. I just wonder how they will address that, but then I am looking for a part time career for after retirement. After a discussion with somebody that has come to help out with the League of Municipalities, I will probably be looking at FEMA as I have a deep background in Emergency Management / Incident Command and already have contacts within FEMA and Kelly's skillset would be an asset for them. Now, I have another option to offer.

An afterthought... Every one of the the units will be under a factory warranty, so who will be doing the warranty work and the "mandatory" six week wait for replacement parts?
The majority of us know there are differences between a house and an rv, and that there are things that we need to learn in order to operate an rv more smoothly. And yes, there are fema trailers manufactured with rv systems on board. On these, new people will have questions and most will make mistakes. However, the mistakes they make won't be the end of the world. Most people will figure things out and learn as they go themselves.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #12

One of Reagan's speach's comes to mind

Something about foreclosures & people without homes. Seems like a more permanent solution to multiple issues. Even better, combine with unemployment assistance & job training to fix up those homes.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
We were flooded with “Katrina” trailers after that hurricane. Now they are cheap deer camp trailers.
There were thousands stored in fields across Mississippi and Louisiana.
Most of them came by train, you would have to have seen it to believe it. Your tax dollars at work..
There were thousands of them here in Mississippi after Katrina.Most were completely ragged out after being returned.I bought one for my disabled brother and set it up on our property.I think I paid about $3000 for it.It was in surprisingly good shape,most were not.Like you said most ended up at deer camps.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #14

Ok.. why is it on this forum people have to prove (in their mind) they are right or know more than anyone else, instead of putting themselves in the shoes of the people that will be blessed with a private roof overhead. They’ll figure them out just like you did once and these now very humble people will help each other and not try and bring others down.
I feel better..... sometimes people on this forum are such childish bullies
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer