Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #1

Filling propane tank during wet weather question

Should a motor home propane tank ever be filling during any kind of wet misty rainy weather? Would this action allow too much moisture to get into the tank during hooking/unhooking the fill hose?

I have an appointment for a fill-up from a tank truck here in the CG tomorrow but it's forecasted to be rainy tomorrow. And we're leaving the next day so it's either do or not at all.

Appreciate any thoughts.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I have never heard of this being a problem. Both the truck, your tank, and the hose are sealed units. It would really be hard for any rain water to get into your tank. No problem. It is done all the time.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Atmospheric moisture would have to force its way past a virtually air tight connection. I don't see that happening.

And I have to ask:

Do you fuel up the rig/car during wet weather? I ask since given the open down-the-spout connection one would think there'd be a greater likelihood of the kind of water intrusion you're evidently worried about.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys. I just didn't know if there could possibly be enought drops of water in the end of his hose before it got connected to my tank to cause any problem. I'm sure at the most it wouldn't be more than a drip or two but had no idea what amount of water in the tank could cause problems.
From what I've read, water in your propane tank is really bad.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

I never worry about fueling either the car or motorhome since i'm using a very short hose and working under a canapy. When the tank truck came to fill the propane tank he pulled out close to 30 feet of hose to reach from the truck to the tank. I was just worried (undoubtedly unnecessarily) that it would give opportunity for moisture to get into the end of the hose if it happened to be raining.

But thankfully it had just stopped snowing when he arrived this morning. Boy is he fast. He blocked his wheels, hooked up the hose, pumped 13 gallons of propane, reeled the hose back in, unblocked his wheels, I paid him, and he was gone in probably not more than 5 minutes.

I do appreciate the responses as it made me feel more relaxed just in case it was really storming. And I'm sure he wouldn't want to come back later either.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I live in the coastal mountains in Oregon and we do get a tad of rain but I have never heard anyone express concern about the moisture getting into propane tanks. Maybe we just accept the moisture but it has not been a problem to my knowlegde.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank