Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #29

Fill the tank with water and try it. It's always best to do your own experiment. You can dump the water out if not needed or it's not helping your ride experience.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #30

If you look at your weight placard you will notice it accounts for the weight of the water. So its intended you travel with fresh water. You can travel with full waste tanks but it cuts into your available cargo weight.

I have heard many accounts of TT having problems when traveling with full fresh tanks because the methods they use to secure the tanks to the frame are less than stellar. On the majority of todays MH the tanks sit on a platform that rests on the chassis frame. At least mine are that way.

We noticed that traveling with a full tank of fresh vs empty you can feel it braking.

We always travel long distances with water. One time we were empty because it was parked at the mechanic at an odd angle and siphoned all the water out of the tank. Boy was it near impossible to find some water to fill with. We always travel with 5 gal of bottled and 1 gal of distilled for the batteries.

I keep bleach and a way to add it to the tanks on hand. I would have no problem adding water at a gas island as long as it was potable. No way ever would I use water at the dump station that wasn't marked fresh even with a good dose of bleach.

Because of the ecoli possibility someone else mentioned if we fill at a campground we add 3oz of bleach per 90 gallons. You may be down the road by the time they figure out the water you have in your tank is contaminated. Also, when you camp at full hookups people use the fresh hookup to rinse their tanks and who knows if there are the required back flow preventers.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #31

Location: Bessemer City, NC AKALake Havasu City, AZaka Laughlin, Nv / aka Fairhope, Al / aka Roseville, Ca
It appears the consensus is to travel with full fresh water tank. I will try that next saturday when we leave.

Any recommendations for inline water filters for filling fresh water tank?
Onthehunt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #32

We camped near St. Augustine, Fl. We used the park water,and our motorhome smelled of sulfer weeks afterwards just from taking showers. Luckily we didnt fill our tank there! Using our mountain spring water the next time we go there!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthehunt49 View Post
It appears the consensus is to travel with full fresh water tank. I will try that next saturday when we leave.

We have a lot of sediment in our well water so I use a blue camco filter when filling. I use a drinking water taste, lead and cysts filter on a faucet in the kitchen.

The blue camco filter does very little to improve the taste of swampy lake water at the parks we frequent.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly3 View Post
We camped near St. Augustine, Fl. We used the park water,and our motorhome smelled of sulfer weeks afterwards just from taking showers. Luckily we didnt fill our tank there! Using our mountain spring water the next time we go there!
When we bought our MH it had that nasty FL water in the tank. It smells way worse than the black tank ever could. lol

I usually buy bottled spring water not purified. The bottled FL spring water was super nasty.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #35

We got our filters here. Lots of good reading on this site and if you have any questions about what you may need they are super friendly on the phone.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Inline water filters: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...o+water+filter
Put a short hose on one end like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40013-T...o+water+filter
The hose makes it much easier to connect/disconnect

We always travel with our water tank full. I want to have water anywhere I pull over. Rest stops, overnight stops with no hookups, etc. That way we have full use of the bathroom, shower, kitchen, etc. We do use bottled water for drinking.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #37

Location: Bessemer City, NC AKALake Havasu City, AZaka Laughlin, Nv / aka Fairhope, Al / aka Roseville, Ca
I assume you will not taste the bleach?
3 OZ to 80-90 gallons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
If you look at your weight placard you will notice it accounts for the weight of the water. So its intended you travel with fresh water. You can travel with full waste tanks but it cuts into your available cargo weight.

I have heard many accounts of TT having problems when traveling with full fresh tanks because the methods they use to secure the tanks to the frame are less than stellar. On the majority of todays MH the tanks sit on a platform that rests on the chassis frame. At least mine are that way.

We noticed that traveling with a full tank of fresh vs empty you can feel it braking.

We always travel long distances with water. One time we were empty because it was parked at the mechanic at an odd angle and siphoned all the water out of the tank. Boy was it near impossible to find some water to fill with. We always travel with 5 gal of bottled and 1 gal of distilled for the batteries.

I keep bleach and a way to add it to the tanks on hand. I would have no problem adding water at a gas island as long as it was potable. No way ever would I use water at the dump station that wasn't marked fresh even with a good dose of bleach.

Because of the ecoli possibility someone else mentioned if we fill at a campground we add 3oz of bleach per 90 gallons. You may be down the road by the time they figure out the water you have in your tank is contaminated. Also, when you camp at full hookups people use the fresh hookup to rinse their tanks and who knows if there are the required back flow preventers.
Onthehunt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #38

Quote:
I assume you will not taste the bleach?
3 OZ to 80-90 gallons?
I don't notice it, its very little. In perspective its 2 tablespoons per 30 gallons. I can smell it if I try when washing my face so I know its enough to do its thing.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Better to fill with water at a dump site[emoji12]
Yep, I wonder were or what has touched that hose.
Jay D.
Also be sure to sample the water first, I have see potable water that my dog wouldn't drink.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
When we bought our MH it had that nasty FL water in the tank. It smells way worse than the black tank ever could. lol

I usually buy bottled spring water not purified. The bottled FL spring water was super nasty.
Really? Zephyrhills Spring water is bottled and sold all over the place. You think it is nasty?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Really? Zephyrhills Spring water is bottled and sold all over the place. You think it is nasty?
That is not the brand I purchased. Whatever brand it was I tasted it and went hmmm where is this bottled and the spring was in Florida. I think it was a store brand.

I would be curious to try the one you mentioned but we aren’t in FL at the moment.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Hello,

I am fairly new to RVING. We have stayed at a few full hook up parks. We are going to National Park in Calif . 650 miles from home.

Where can you fill your water tank on the road, so dont have to haul all that weight.

Thanks
If you don't want to haul the weight put some in but don't fill it. There are no rules saying it has to be full.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water