Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Thumbs up Finally found a WIFI antenna that works!

I thought I'd post this here because most of the people in the tech section know about this. I run a software business so on the road I need good internet to stay in business. It's been a long journey to get there with all the equipment needed but one thing I bought that actually worked is a Jefa Tech WIFI repeater. It's the
Jefa Tech Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

15dBi High Gain Omni 5.5' one that comes with a router so you can hook up to 5 devices to it. Got it today and installed it on the roof with a boat antenna mount that will allow it to lay down when on the road and a quick pull when parked and it's ready to go. My internet connection without this found only 2 WIFI spots and both showed poor connections. After hooking it up (very simple) it showed 5 hot spots and all were excellent connections. The laptop worked as well in the front of the coach as in the bedroom. Most of these antennas for the phone or internet don't work. I've got a pile of them but this one is great. Thought I'd pass it on.
P.S. I have nothing to do with this company just letting you all know what works.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 01:07 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I thought I'd post this here because most of the people in the tech section know about this. I run a software business so on the road I need good internet to stay in business. It's been a long journey to get there with all the equipment needed but one thing I bought that actually worked is a Jefa Tech WIFI repeater. It's the

15dBi High Gain Omni 5.5' one that comes with a router so you can hook up to 5 devices to it. Got it today and installed it on the roof with a boat antenna mount that will allow it to lay down when on the road and a quick pull when parked and it's ready to go. My internet connection without this found only 2 WIFI spots and both showed poor connections. After hooking it up (very simple) it showed 5 hot spots and all were excellent connections. The laptop worked as well in the front of the coach as in the bedroom. Most of these antennas for the phone or internet don't work. I've got a pile of them but this one is great. Thought I'd pass it on.
P.S. I have nothing to do with this company just letting you all know what works.

Thanks! I'm trying to use my phone now...the price on this looks very reasonable considering it comes with such a good review by you. Will try this if the phone teather doesn't satisfy the DW.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
Thanks! I'm trying to use my phone now...the price on this looks very reasonable considering it comes with such a good review by you. Will try this if the phone teather doesn't satisfy the DW.
I also have AT&T, and virgin mobile but with the cost of these the CG WIFI is the way to go except most times it's very weak and you can't use it. This will amplify the signal so it's strong and fast. Also, if the CG doesn't have WIFI you can pick up signals from far away and may find a free spot. I'm so disappointed in most of the antennas for both the phone and WIFI because they plain don't work. My Virgin air card antenna which I paid $65 for doesn't work at all. I have 2 other WIFI antennas that also don't work. I had this jefa tech laying down on the roof last night and it still got great signals. It was really worth the $$ Happy camper!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We have (what Verizon call) a MiFi. Very small (like a large credit cad about 1/2 " thick). We are in South Dakota, have traveled thru Canada, and up and down the East Coast. With-out WiFi only once in Bar Harbour Maine. The cost is $50/month. We have cancelled internet access in our PA home and just use the MiFi. There is a limit, but it is 5 gigs. When traveling, only useit when camp-site has no WiFi or when wife is paying bills on-line.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post

I hope you get a commission on the sales made from this post, I for one just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #6

I put together a system just like the JEFA Tech and played with it at home but never got around to putting it in the rig. It does work really well. Just need to mount the antenna and run the cable.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #7

I don't understand how this works as I am not an internet pro. Are you saying this will amplify the existing WIFI at the campground I am staying at? I get WIFI but the signal is very weak, unless I leave my RV and walk over closer to the antenna. If this will do that I will buy one. Wayne
wayne-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

That is exactly what it does.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #9

I have a similar unit, the Radio Wave. It hooks directly into the computer without the router it is a USB port so one could be added I believe. I set it with a telescoping paint extension pole and bungee cords onto the pole for the awning. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to set up and it really brings in the remote stations.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
How about trees and interference. Do you need a clean line of sight?
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager35L View Post
How about trees and interference. Do you need a clean line of sight?
No, it omni directional so it doesn't matter where it's aimed.

Quote:
I hope you get a commission on the sales made from this post, I for one just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!
No I don't but I thought I'd help others out. I need it to be in business and it works very well. The 5 gig a month thing would take me about 2 days to use up....
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #12

Antennas come in directional and omnidirectional. The latter are the best and in my experience. Signals will go thru things (like RV walls), but everything it goes thru robs it of some power. I believe the key is that it takes power from the computer via the USB port and amplifies the signal. My first choice is Campground free WiFi, antenna free WiFi. then Verizon phone service. At times there will be somebody's unsecured WiFi that will come in the best and there is a moral problem about using (stealing) it. Have to work that one out for yourself. We never go RV'ing without our antenna.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne-43 View Post
I don't understand how this works as I am not an internet pro. Are you saying this will amplify the existing WIFI at the campground I am staying at? I get WIFI but the signal is very weak, unless I leave my RV and walk over closer to the antenna. If this will do that I will buy one. Wayne
Yes, it's a repeater so it picks up signals and amplifies them. It is also a router so you can connect laptops, wifi printers etc to it. It also has Ethernet ports so you can hook up a desktop too! The only thing I don't like is you have to type in an IP address to get to your account to change which network you want to hook up. It took me awhile to figure that out but it's simple enough once you do it. When you set it up you have to do it so just bookmark the site and you're set to go.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #14

what powers this device? 120V AC, 12 DC, or USB port

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna