Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Finding a WalMart with Android Phone

Hi
I have a question. Does anyone here use the Android phone to locate Wal-Mart stores to sleep at? I have used the "Car Panel" app to find them for years. I just say Wal-Mart into it and it would give me a list of the nearest ones. I pick one and I get directions. Then it updated the Car Panel and now it will only give me one choice, usually 1000mi away. I did check and it does have permission to use gps. It also won't give me a map of where I am, just an old one of where I have been at some time in the past! It does give directions as it always did.The little dish indicating that GPS is being accesses is lit when I use it.
Is there a fix for this or do I need to
get another app to find them? Which one?Thanks.
PS we are in West Virginia in a Wallies as I type.
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

I use Google maps app to do this. It came pre-installed on my Samsung.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Use Play Store to find Walmart Overnight Parking app. No GPS but gives state map or pick a city. It tells you if overnight is ok or not.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use RVParky, which will also find campgrounds, Cabelas and other things according to the settings.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I use RVParky, which will also find campgrounds, Cabelas and other things according to the settings.
+1 for RVParkey. Great app. The only one I have ever sent money to voluntarily.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several apps.. I like to gas up before I go to sleep, that way I do not have to worry about generator fuel supply

MURPHY USA app shows all MURPHY USA stations.. Most of which are in Wal*Mart parking lots

RV-Parkey Shows rest areas, Wal*marts and other places to park.

Google Maps can show you area Wal*marts as well just ask it "Nearest Wal Marts" and see what happens.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure the app is named "Car Panel"? I just searched the Play store and couldn't find it. I was curious to see if other users had reported that an update broke things.

Typically, if an app stops working after an update, it's the app that is the problem, not your GPS or anything else.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ahhh...just did a Google search and found that Car Panel is an app that was on the Droid Incredible! Yeah, probably time to replace that app.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I use Google maps app to do this. It came pre-installed on my Samsung.
I'll try it. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot View Post
Are you sure the app is named "Car Panel"? I just searched the Play store and couldn't find it. I was curious to see if other users had reported that an update broke things.

Typically, if an app stops working after an update, it's the app that is the problem, not your GPS or anything else.
Yes, It came with the Verizon HTC Droid. It uses a sub-App called "Maps" which has gone bad too, I suspect that you are correct and I should jest get something different instead.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK' so here is where I am at. The Car Panel from the Droid Incredible probably did update badly as suggested. I don't think I can get a copy to re-install if I wanted to so I am going to load Google maps as suggested. Meanwhile I saw a recommendation on a blog somewhere for Wallmant ONP made by Allstays. It is good. Open it and you can either enter a location or press Near Me. It gives a list of all nearby stores and whether they let you stay there. Very nice. Nearly instant response. It will give directions when asked with Google Maps.
PS The Car Panel app uses Google maps too.