Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Fire Escape Hint

With all the threads and fear of fire due to Norcold and Dometic refrigerators , I thought I'd pass along something I learned from attending Mac The Fire Guy's seminar at an FMCA rally.

If you have an emergency window in the bedroom that pushes out and lifts up as I do, it is most difficult to try and escape from it.

Mac suggests measuring the window amount needed for you to get out ( push it out and measure it from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the extended window ). In my case it's 30". I cut two 1" x 2" 30" pieces of wood and keep them on the vanity at all times. These act as supports to hold the window open and allows you to maneuver out. He also suggests you throw the bed spread over the frame bottom so as not to tear up your body on the way out.

Hope no one ever needs to use it , but it may help save you and your loved ones some day.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Hey Cliff,

Good to know and thanks for sharing.

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dumb Question

I know every once and $ counts, but, a built-in snap latch to hold in up position would be easy. Any window mfg's reading?
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
What also would be good, would be a rope ladder, with some type of hooks to connect the ladder over the window sill, that one could unroll and drop it over the side. It's a long way to the ground from there. If you have any disabilities, it would be very diffcult to just "drop over" the side. I think I will be surfing the net and try to find one.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have such a window, It opens from the bottom and swings up. I've used it.

Though I do admit it was NOT that kind of emergency (The dang door latch broke and there was no other way out) I do know things are different when seconds count and there are only a few of them left.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good information. Thanks Cliff.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting...however, the walls of most RVs are pretty thin. If my life or someone else's life is in danger...I'd bet I could make a new hole...
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
paz

If you decide to make supports for your escape window, be careful - some of the windows release at the top and are designed to fall away. Hang onto the window the first time you open it and don't open it too far just in case you have one of the windows that releases.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz
If you decide to make supports for your escape window, be careful - some of the windows release at the top and are designed to fall away. Hang onto the window the first time you open it and don't open it too far just in case you have one of the windows that releases.
Interesting as I would think that set up would be for commercial vehicles like buses. But good point to look out for.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Bumping because this is a valuable thread, even if Cliff did post it.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Good advice Cliff! Below is a link to my earlier post on this subject. Since that post I made the decision that the ladder that hangs down is just not practical in my case since the emergency window is in a slideout. I removed the rope ladder from the part that hangs over the window, so in case of fire I will hang the aluminum hand-rails over the window and use that to hold on to while sliding out and dropping to the ground. JMHO!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/escap...ks-154476.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Thanks Joe. I think that any post that brings awareness to this is most valuable. I was a Boy Scout ( be prepared was our motto )

Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been reading the posts about having a stick available to prop the emergency window open. Any reason why I couldn't install gas props on it? Mine is not the breakaway type, it has regular hinges along the top edge.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Bumping because this is a valuable thread, even if Cliff did post it.
Getting out of the "escape" window in our Heartland NT would be almost impossible for anyone but a slender agile person. It's so high up that most seniors wouldn't make it, wouldn't be able to get their leg over the sill. Are we supposed to drop out headfirst? Land on our heads? And if you're a few pounds overweight.... forget it. I believe some of these RVs are real fire traps. The escape window in our old Ford Dutchman Class-C is much bigger and more suitable to escape from, even for a senior a little on the hefty side.